Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting german in secondary school

• 03-09-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I am looking for suggestions to enable my daughter learning german from scratch in an easier manner, while us parents - one doesn't know german // the other is not fluent in german.
    - currently she speaks other languages; she started using duolingo over the lockdown period for german, and she would be spending part of her summer holiday in germany with family.
    But what I don't know is how german is taught in here (perhaps this applies to other languages too) - if in order to become fluent at the end of secondary by default students need tutoring, cause the level thought at class room level demands it ?
    Any suggestions of what I can do to support her better ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if you are in Dublin send here to St. Killians.

Schools in Ireland can't teach foreign languages well.

Other countries learn English as that the median for popular culture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

ted1 wrote: »
    if you are in Dublin send here to St. Killians.

Schools in Ireland can't teach foreign languages well.

Other countries learn English as that the median for popular culture
    thanks. no, I am not Dublin based.
    PS - they're pretty good at Irish as I can see :)

actually since I posted this, have opted to secure additional support via online classes for now in primary cycle (tutor is not based in Ireland), might need to do more for senior cycle (e.g. F2F with another tutor) ... good thing is that she likes it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To become fluent, send her to Germany every holiday you an can, ideally to an old folks' home where they won't be trying their English out on her.

All modern European languages are supposed to be taught through the target language now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

yeah, that would be the goal - once there would be less travel restrictions // staying with family rather than ppl we don't know + summer camps during day.

Advertisement