Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you let your teenager go?

• 26-08-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Daughter wants to go on a shopping trip to Dublin with friends. It means a return trip by train. She's 17, and normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but under the circumstances is it wise? One half of me says she deserves the day out after a summer of pretty much doing nothing, and she will be back in school mixing next week anyways - but the other half says no, stick to guidelines its too risky of coming into contact with the virus. What do people think? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

No, ordinarily it would be no issue but covid changes everything.

It's a non-essential journey and the guidelines are that public transport should be avoided where possible.

It sucks and teens have had it tough the last few months but it's unfortunately the way it's got to be for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

To be honest, I would let her go. She is 17, almost an adult. I would hope that she has enough cop on and education in knowing how to behave safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Neyite wrote: »
    No, ordinarily it would be no issue but covid changes everything.

It's a non-essential journey and the guidelines are that public transport should be avoided where possible.

It sucks and teens have had it tough the last few months but it's unfortunately the way it's got to be for the time being.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's how I see it too...she has indeed missed out on a lot this year, and won't be getting the 18th birthday party she had hoped for, but in the grand scheme of things she is doing just fine. We cannot forget all the people who have lost loved ones due to this virus, so in comparison to that her loss is nothing. All we can each do is try our best to follow guidelines to do our best to limit the spread.

I think I would let her go, and ask her to be sensible and vigilant about wearing a mask and hand santising.

I agree its non-essential, but my reason for letting her go is that she is nearly 18, and this might be the last chance she gets to go on such a trip before Christmas if the situation gets worse again (which I think it will).

I take it she is not going to be swinging out of poles in Berlin.

And I say this as someone whose mother passed from Covid earlier in the year, so I do appreciate your consideration.

I think I would let her go, and ask her to be sensible and vigilant about wearing a mask and hand santising.

I agree its non-essential, but my reason for letting her go is that she is nearly 18, and this might be the last chance she gets to go on such a trip before Christmas if the situation gets worse again (which I think it will).

I take it she is not going to be swinging out of poles in Berlin.

And I say this as someone whose mother passed from Covid earlier in the year, so I do appreciate your consideration.[/quote

Oh I'm so very saddened to read that you lost your mother to Covid. My sincere condolences to you.

• Advertisement

I'm glad to report that my daughter didn't go on the trip, as she actually came to me to say that she had decided against going, seeing as the numbers were rising. I instantly thought how mature she had become, until she followed it up with " hopefully the worst of this will be over by my Halloween break, so I might go up then, instead" ...the innocence of youth!!!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah, can't fault that optimism. We are all guilty of that :o

Advertisement