Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Welcome Lord Derpington! Per the earlier messages in this thread, can you send on your details to SeveOB via a PM so he can set you up on Teamer.

Done, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just sent a Teamer message there to everyone. We have loads on board who never come to events so just nbeed to do a spring clean.
    Please accept if you want to stay in the loop, decline if you want to leave.
    thanks

Just a gentle reminder on this. Still a few non-responsive people by the look of things

Ladies & Gents, First updated GOTY table:

503666.jpg

A quick update all. Given the April event was originally scheduled for the 18th, and with everywhere due to be should until the 19th, I've contacted West Waterford and secured a date change to the 2nd May, at 12-1.30.

We just have to hope for the best now. I know its slipping the event date into the following month, but its about the best we can do given the circumstances.

More updates will follow, as they arise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so who wants to keep the society going while we are on lockdown?

one of the lads was toying with the idea of going out and getting a playstation & copy of tiger woods, so maybe we can try and come up with some sort of online league or matchplay.

I suggested WGT which is online and app for all platforms...... and free :)

so any interest?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't have a PS4 at the moment, but I've a copy of The Golf Club 2019 on Steam if anyone fancies a game :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

can't get my flash player to work on WGT

charlieIRL wrote: »
    can't get my flash player to work on WGT

have you got an iPad or something like that? there are phone apps too

Just to confirm to all, that the planned West Waterford outing will not go ahead due to the extended government restrictions.

If things go well in the next few weeks, hopefully we may be back out for the outing later in May (though that's probably at a high risk of cancellation too at this point)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

when / If tou are back in action can new people pay the s30 and join up then?

• Advertisement

Yes, newbies always welcome

Per Seve, more than welcome. Technically we've only had one outing, so you wouldn't be too much newer than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Per Seve, more than welcome. Technically we've only had one outing, so you wouldn't be too much newer than anyone else

great thanks - something to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Space, assuming we get the go ahead for Bunclody and onwards for the rest of year, have you (committee) had any thoughts on the qualifying criteria for POTY and Jug team selection to change from The 5 best out of 8 to something lower

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We’ll have a chat about it as soon as we get some indication of when we can go back playing. When golf comes back, I’d say we’ll be restricted to two balls so we’ll just have to wait and see.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    We’ll have a chat about it as soon as we get some indication of when we can go back playing. When golf comes back, I’d say we’ll be restricted to two balls so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Sh1t, never thought of golf being members only for the forseeable, that puts the kybosh on it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Well lads I’d love to join this when things get to some sort of normality. I’m not a very good golfer though tbh but love playing all the same. Will be buying a membership locally when this is over.

I read the first post and I like what I see but I’m sure some stuff will change soon. Can you join mid season even?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Glenn.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Well lads I’d love to join this when things get to some sort of normality. I’m not a very good golfer though tbh but love playing all the same. Will be buying a membership locally when this is over.

I read the first post and I like what I see but I’m sure some stuff will change soon. Can you join mid season even?

Glenn.

Hi Glenn,

Of course, you're more than welcome to join at any point in the year. As I mentioned above, we've only had one event so far before the shutdown kicked in, so you'd only be 1 event behind everyone else.

We're still in a bit if a state of limbo. Chances are that when courses first open they may be members only, so we'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully we get in enough events to get a reasonable run at GOTY, but at this moment in time we just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Doyler92 wrote: »

Glenn.

To be honest, being not very good - you will fit right in.

Hi All,

Myself and the committee have been doing a fair bit of thinking about things and how the rest of the year is going to shape up.

Given the environment we are in, we felt that it makes sense to look at the courses we are due to play and do everything we can to make sure that people won't have to do an overnight stay for any event.

We don't know if hotels will be open by that point, and even if they are, we have to be cognizant of the fact that there are likely a large cohort who would not be comfortable staying in a hotel & sharing rooms with a bunch of random lads off the internet :D

To that end, we're proposing the following outings for the rest of this year:

July 18th, 12.00 - Klkea Castle

August 15th, 11.10 - Portarlington Golf Club

Captains Prize, September 19th, 1.30 (time may change slightly) - Glasson Golf Club

These are all midlands clubs, which should be accessible to all, within a couple of hours drive, so the outings can be done in a day.

It's a killer to have to make these changes, especially my Captain's selection, Enniscrone will have to stay on my bucket list for now!!!

Note that the date in August is changed. We'll have to modify the GOTY rules & Jug Qualifying, and will send on an update in relation to these soon.

Thanks guy and look forward to seeing you all on a golf course in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

The 20 km travel restriction is to be lifted in Phase 4 of the recovery plan. That is currently scheduled for July 20th

paulos53 wrote: »
    The 20 km travel restriction is to be lifted in Phase 4 of the recovery plan. That is currently scheduled for July 20th

Thanks Paul, hadnt noticed that. Will follow up

Hopefully they will be able to accelerate the plan and we will be ok for that date. Might be worth having a backup plan for the weekend after?

With today's easing of restrictions, does it mean we are good to go for Kilkee Castle boards outing on said date ??

It looks like the travel restriction will be lifted on June 29th so we should be good for Kilkea Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snackbox20

It's looking like June 29th is the magic date. Really looking forward to getting back into it and hopefully playing Kilkea Castle, never played it before, so all the more.

How are you all? Have most of you had the chance to play a round or two? Finally got out on a local course with a member, delighted with a scratch free round and finished with 37 pts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

so a go for the new dates then?

woodyg wrote: »
    so a go for the new dates then?

Yeah, the revised schedule is a go woodyg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

some good news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Hi All,

Myself and the committee have been doing a fair bit of thinking about things and how the rest of the year is going to shape up.

Given the environment we are in, we felt that it makes sense to look at the courses we are due to play and do everything we can to make sure that people won't have to do an overnight stay for any event.

We don't know if hotels will be open by that point, and even if they are, we have to be cognizant of the fact that there are likely a large cohort who would not be comfortable staying in a hotel & sharing rooms with a bunch of random lads off the internet :D

To that end, we're proposing the following outings for the rest of this year:

August 15th, 11.10 - Portarlington Golf Club

Captains Prize, September 19th, 1.30 (time may change slightly) - Glasson Golf Club

These are all midlands clubs, which should be accessible to all, within a couple of hours drive, so the outings can be done in a day.

It's a killer to have to make these changes, especially my Captain's selection, Enniscrone will have to stay on my bucket list for now!!!

Note that the date in August is changed. We'll have to modify the GOTY rules & Jug Qualifying, and will send on an update in relation to these soon.

Thanks guy and look forward to seeing you all on a golf course in the not too distant future.

Any update on GOTY & Jug Qualifying details given the curtailed year. ?

Advertisement