Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Billions of Monkey nuts handed out at Halloween years ago

Nobody died

Lol that’s very true- junior infants 1988!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Peanut allergy is so 2018

Think of the kid who will go into anaphylactic shock because of the smell of deodorant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

road_high wrote: »
    No we had asthma and dyslexia ! They’re actual problems

And dying isn't?
    When I started teaching in 89/into the 90s, there were no mentions of either. I knew about CF because a primary class mate died of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I did see some success for nut allergies with a slow exposure over time in a controlled medical environment, do you think maybe you might be able to try this in the future for your child?

That's the clinical trial he was in. He had a big reaction and couldn't continue.
    He is 14 now. Its not really possible to do this in a controlled manner at home, its just too risky.
    Lots of very bright people are working on this all the time so I anticipate that there will be a treatment sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

cnocbui wrote: »
    If a child at a school has an allergy to eggs, should all egg products be banned?

Our crèche is nut and egg free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't agree with you.

Your prerogative, but if it were your child, you certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Something like 2.5-3% of the population has a nut allergy now. Its risen 5 fold since the mid-nineties which is probably why people think this is just a made up problem
    There is a lot of confusion with intolerance and actual allergies.

People who complain about being allergic to something but are not at risk of Anaphylaxis are intolerant of the food.

People eating something which makes your throat swell up so you can't breathe and die are allergic.

From 2000 until fairly recently, women were advised to avoid peanuts and other common allergens during pregnancy and even breastfeeding, thinking that being exposed to them may cause allergies. Now it turns out that the opposite is true and exposure actually helps to prevent allergies. This bad advice probably accounts for a good proportion of the increase

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Our crèche is nut and egg free.

But it's not really inside your service rooms to a degree but a lot a kids will eat products which would contain nut or eggs ,

Declaration of a nut free or egg free environment doesn't amount to anything

I'm truly amazed at the number of people here willing to put their child's desire to eat nuts at school above the life of someone else's child. I'm glad you aren't parents in our school. That's me over and out from this thread.

They come from precious parents actively avoiding exposing their children to peanuts early in life.

Not true, like I said my son was very young when he had his first attack. We ate peanuts all the time back then and it was only a trace on the knife that caused the reaction.
    I don't know what we could have done to prevent this happening, believe me, If I could I would have done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

road_high wrote: »
    Lol that’s very true- junior infants 1988!!

Kids did die in 88 from anaphylaxis sadly . Try sitting in a room with parents of a dead child and watch their pain .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That's the clinical trial he was in. He had a big reaction and couldn't continue.
    He is 14 now. Its not really possible to do this in a controlled manner at home, its just too risky.
    Lots of very bright people are working on this all the time so I anticipate that there will be a treatment sometime soon.

Yes, way too dangerous to try at home, I saw it on Netflix it was 'The Peanut Problem' part of their Rotten series (which is very good by the way).

Yes, lots of people working on it given that its such a widespread allergy. Even the peanut growers themselves in that documentary were funding research into a cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Grow up

I had an anaphylaxis and am only alive because I live 10 minutes from a major hospital . It is terrifying , stressfull and very traumatising . I wouldn’t wish it on any child. My god can people not live 8 hours without a blessed nut in their lunch box

So if you had a child with an allergy that lethal, why would you send them to school everyday where there is a high risk that they'll come into contact with some form of nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So if you had a child with an allergy that lethal, why would you send them to school everyday where there is a high risk that they'll come into contact with some form of nuts?

There isnt a high risk if the school is nut free though. Seems a pretty small sacrifice to make to allow a child to have an education and a relatively normal childhood

They said that they had an Anaphylactic attack, not their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Our school is nut free.
    Last year we received first aid training in how to use Epipens and Jextpens just in case we had to use them.
    A few kids have airborne nut allergies so nuts are a big no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I'm truly amazed at the number of people here willing to put their child's desire to eat nuts at school above the life of someone else's child. I'm glad you aren't parents in our school. That's me over and out from this thread.

Optimistically I like to think some have inadvertently voted against banning. I nearly voted no as glancing at "the school, children and parents should accomodate" I presumed that was the option to not allow nuts in school

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes.

It can be a matter of life and death.

If there are no known cases of kids with allergies at a school, then no reason why they wouldn't allow nuts.

But if there was one child at our school who had an allergy, I would totally agree with a blanket ban. My kids can eat nuts when they come home if they wanted them bad enough.

And I post that as someone who has an epipen prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They come from precious parents actively avoiding exposing their children to peanuts early in life.

Yes let's introduce peanuts when we start the weaning journey, there will be no fear of developing an allergic reaction as they will already have chocked to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Some people just cannot empathise. I’ve actually met quite a few people like this is my life. They cannot see outside their own purview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Aren’t there ongoing efforts to stop people getting hit by cars? I didn’t know you could only be concerned about one thing at a time.

A much higher risk of getting hit by a car then dying of anawhatever shock as a percentage of the general population. Thousand of people have died from car accidents, people get into cars everyday. A more accurate analogy would be asking everybody in the office not to drive to work because one of the employees has an allergy to cars.

Interestingly Australia is the allergy capital of the world these days.
    https://rsv.org.au/food-allergy-capital/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Probably the very same people who would sue a school if something similar happened their child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What kind of a question is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

No problem with getting school to go nut free.

We did it and they sky didn't fall in.

Kids got to stay alive.... and got and education too. Nobody was put out... Except idiots on here I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Because, unless equipped to homeschool (not possible for many parents), children are required to be sent to school. The second statement I’m amazed I’ve had to type out in this thread. I kind of envy such obliviousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Some people just cannot empathise. I’ve actually met quite a few people like this is my life. They cannot see outside their own purview.

I was on a flight from the US to Dub recently and they said at the very start no one was to even open a packet of nuts on the plane, they repeated it about 7 times. I have no idea some people are that badly effected. It must be terrible to suffer from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Aren’t there ongoing efforts to stop people getting hit by cars? I didn’t know you could only be concerned about one thing at a time.

A much higher risk of getting hit by a car then dying of anawhatever shock as a percentage of the general population. Thousand of people have died from car accidents, people get into cars everyday. A more accurate analogy would be asking everybody in the office not to drive to work because one of the employees has an allergy to cars.

Great analogy. Because we all know people die from peanut allergies due to high impact collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Anaphylactic shock . I had two and be very grateful you had not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I'm sure parents must worry but you have to balance the risk for the sake of the kid.

If the school has a no nuts policy then you have a small peace of mind that they will monitor it and have a degree of control over things.

The child and other children will be mindful of the allergy too as well as staff and severe allergy sufferers will probably have access to an epipen just in case.

Just because they have an allergy doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to live a relatively normal life and go to school and have friends just like everyone else. Allowing no nuts is a pretty minor thing to let a kid have a normal childhood.

Yes something could happen but the risk is minimised through all of this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement