Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

• 09-10-2019 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

What is the general consensus on this. IMO, I find it bizarre that the rest of the school population has to accommodate an extremely small % of kids who have an alleged nut allergy. One of the few things we can give kids that are healthy and they enjoy are being banned.

Do the schools ask for a confirmation from their doctor before they ask the rest of school population what to not feed their children? I have my suspicions that alot of these allergies are self diagnosed or the parents have been to some quack that did an online course.

What do these parents do when their kids are outside of school or go to summer camp, for a walk. Will the whole world bend to their needs?

Should nuts be banned in schools? 388 votes

Yes - they should be banned
    56% 221 votes
    No - the school, children and parents should accomodate
    24% 94 votes
    Don't know
    18% 73 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why wouldn't you?
    A nut allergy can be a very serious thing, and kids can do stupid stuff...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ok, dealing with this as genuine and not a poor effort at trolling.

Yes. Your child's desire for nuts is lovely, but does that give them the right to endanger the lives of other children?Children eat in classrooms where they are in exceptionally close contact (if your child ever had the misfortune to pick up nits, you'd realize just how close the contact is. They eat at their desks, so cross contamination for nuts and other allergies is huge.

I've seen a child use a lip balm with nut traces go from their normal selves to gasping for breath, swollen so much their eyes were closing and turning blue. Epi-pens aren't just handed out to randomers. they are prescription only and as well as being expensive, have a short shelf life. I think your attitude in the post above is dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In the words of a very wise man...."the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
    :D

But it would be irresponsible and uncaring...so yes.

Or else put all allergic kids into one school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Imagine being so far up your own hole to think that your preference for nuts is above someone who could have a fatal attack due to being allergic...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don’t think I ever ate nuts during my schooling. Sure the odd “Tracker” bar or “Snickers” but if it meant some kid wouldn’t die in front of me I’m fairly sure I could have gone without.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why were there no nut allergies in schools years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Have tbh here but I never gave my kids nuts when they were small, not because of any allergy of other kids. It was simply because I didn't trust them not to choke on them. Couldn't expect a teacher to keep an eye on twenty/ thirty little kids. Just wanted to lessen their odds of dying in school. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I thought when you said banning nuts from school you were referring to crazy people, was wondering who was going to teach the kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Not a huge sacrifice to make, in fairness. Unless you're a squirrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So no Snickers bars allowed for lunch, it's a disgrace Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What about people who are deadly allergic to bee stings? Should the schools not have flowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I to have seen the affects of a selfish parent thinking the ban on nut products didn’t Apply To them. The child in question went to deaths door in a matter of minutes and this was only from minimal contact with someone who had been eating nuts. The teacher had an epi pen as did the child in her school bag. A very scary thing to see a child not being able to breathe.
    The other parent it turns out had been told a number of times and criminal proceedings were threatened in the end, this was after the school sent all parents a letter from crumlin hospital stating the severity of this child condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Seems the general consensus is ‘have a bit of regard for the health and safety of other people’s children’, OP.

Go figure...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

the_syco wrote: »
    What about people who are deadly allergic to bee stings? Should the schools not have flowers?
    Bees are not generally on the desks where children are sitting. And children with bee allergies are far rarer. During the summer term, an SNA or yard duty teacher may well carry the epi-pen for that child.

harr wrote: »
    I to have seen the affects of a selfish parent thinking the ban on nut products didn’t Apply To them. The child in question went to deaths door in a matter of minutes and this was only from minimal contact with someone who had been eating nuts. The teacher had an epi pen as did the child in her school bag. A very scary thing to see a child not being able to breathe.
    The other parent it turns out had been told a number of times and criminal proceedings were threatened in the end, this was after the school sent all parents a letter from crumlin hospital stating the severity of this child condition.
    Curious , what criminal proceedings could have been brought ?
    I feel sorry for the child in question, but little Johnny or Mary can bring a nut product to school without their parents knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP if your child had a condition where dust from nuts (yes that’s how sensitive some people can be) could potentially kill them, would you want to risk a child who handled nuts picking up something belonging to your child and your child then putting whatever the other child touched into their mouth? Would you want your child to accidentally contaminate something that a child with a nut allergy then ate?

If you answer yes to both of those then you clearly are not a parent and hopefully never will be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I would agree that nuts should be banned for those with allergies, however best of luck enforcing that.

There is milk substitutes with nuts, breads, meats, home cooked meals and so on which could have nuts, so totally eliminating them would be next to impossible.

Most you could achieve is a ban on bringing bags of nuts or nut bars on school grounds. However if it ever got out that a child had an allergy and they were target of bullies or put under peer pressure to do something they don't and shouldn't have to do then this also exposes a gravely concerning area where others could bring nuts or products with nuts onto school grounds which could result in serious consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's one of those things ,

I've seen parents in schools declare their kids have serious nut allergies and wheat allergies only to send in bread and chocolate spread in lunches while demanding that other Kids lunches be restricted ,

If they have a genuine diagnosis there shouldn't be an issue but you can't make a school environment 100% sterlile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

no there shouldn’t be a ban on nuts in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

If the school has gone to the effort to communicate this with parents they obviously have a good reason. Don’t be an a$$ and think you’re above it.
    If you want to be selfish and won’t comply move your children elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

"Political correctness gone mad, that's what it is. If my child wants to eat something that could potentially kill another child, then by God, I'll defend to the death (the other child's death, obviously) his right to do so."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If your kids are that strung out for nuts, you've bigger problems.

I would agree that nuts should be banned for those with allergies, however best of luck enforcing that.

There is milk substitutes with nuts, breads, meats, home cooked meals and so on which could have nuts, so totally eliminating them would be next to impossible.

Most you could achieve is a ban on bringing bags of nuts or nut bars on school grounds. However if it ever got out that a child had an allergy and they were target of bullies or put under peer pressure to do something they don't and shouldn't have to do then this also exposes a gravely concerning area where others could bring nuts or products with nuts onto school grounds which could result in serious consequences.

Our school (490 children) has a total nut ban. No problem, because all of our parents are good in this regard, you'd want to be a particular kind of gobdaw like the OP to endanger other children's lives.

Bullies bringing nuts in as a threat is, frankly, hilarious. Do you have primary age children? (Maybe the OP's kids if they have any, might, but otherwise :rolleyes:

And funnily enough, children who have serious allergic reactions don't feel the need to bow to peer pressure to put themselves at risk of death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Markcheese wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you?
    A nut allergy can be a very serious thing, and kids can do stupid stuff...
    Smoking is a very dangerous habit both for the smoker and those inhaling the exhaled filth. Should'nt smoking be totally banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why were there no nut allergies in schools years ago?

Apart from bars containing nuts like snickers and trackers etc. The only time I ever remember nuts being available was holloween.

Just because it wasn't as widely known as it is today doesn't mean it never existed.

As a meme said, Pluto was only discovered in the 1930s but I'm pretty certain is was around before then!!

To be honest I really don't see what the big inconvenience is. A child could die! I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How we survived primary school from the late 80s to mid 90s without any of this namby pamby nanny state stuff is still a mystery to me. Allergies etc seemed to be almost unheard of

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the_syco wrote: »

That’s ridiculous, just ban bees. Put up a sign... ;)

I think the common sense things would be to educate kids regarding the allergy and allergy’s in general so it’s not just put in context of this one kid... ban peanuts from being eaten in lunch / classroom but anyone who has the want for nuts can eat them in the yard, kind of a common sense thing...

road_high wrote: »
    How we survived primary school from the late 80s to mid 90s without any of this namby pamby nanny state stuff is still a mystery to me. Allergies etc seemed to be almost unheard of

And so was dyslexia, dyspraxia, asthma etc.etc.etc.

road_high wrote: »

Actually it would be more down to not knowing what the medical issue was and recording the consequences as unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In college, I lived with a girl who had a very serious allergy to nuts and eggs. We talking trace amounts could kill her. All the other housemates were really careful. She was the only housemate to get her own kitchen press rather than sharing between two so that she could know exactly what was placed in there at all times. There was an exclusion zone around her food in the fridge, she had her own kitchen cloths and she brought a few pieces of cookware that only she would use. We took it very seriously.

I’m not sure children could be trusted to do the same. I think some children might even try to trigger the allergy if they got wind of it, not knowing the gravity of the situation. I guess the child could keep quiet about it and do their part to stay away from the foods of other children. But when the child is very young, could they be careless about this?

I’m actually on the fence here. It seems like something could be put in place to protect the child without having to go full ban. But, on the other hand, nuts are something other children can eat at home. It’s as serious as life or swift death for some people with allergies.

A ban on nuts isn’t something I’d get worked up about, to be honest. It’s a small thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement