Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Why does a guy from ballinhassig follow cork city fc and not ballinhassig afc?

Why should you be restricted to the most _local_ team?

In a globally connected world, working in American companies, presses full of foreign foods, buying from forigen supermarkets watching foreign/British television drinking foreign beverages.

But it;s odd to follow a team an hour away?

People follow teams like united all over the world. It's not just "irish" people

we dont follow the American Football league in Ireland because it is not broadcast here, and generally Irish people do not play in that league.

We also dont follow the Canadian Ice Hockey league here for the same reasons, and likewise the baseball.

I was in Canada for the World Cup in 2014 and I heard several people saying that they weren't following it because 'soccer wasn't their thing..'

we dont follow the American Football league in Ireland because it is not broadcast here, and generally Irish people do not play in that league.

We also dont follow the Canadian Ice Hockey league here for the same reasons, and likewise the baseball.

I was in Canada for the World Cup in 2014 and I heard several people saying that they weren't following it because 'soccer wasn't their thing..'

Dunno about that, my job is full of lads who do nothing but talk about American football and stay up all hours watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

8-10 wrote: »
    That’s a topic for a different thread. The OP is basically saying Irish Catholics should support Everton just like they should support Celtic.

I disagree with both, we should be far past using religion as the basis for doing anything. We have free will, we are no longer obliged to follow the church blindly

But overall I don’t even agree with the assertion the Everton is a Catholic club and Liverpool isn’t. Both are far more diverse and international these days, I don’t think that opinion is based in reality. If they’re officially Catholic they don’t show it and haven’t mentioned it anytime recently

Well you have things like this

53473673_10161676186775089_270711707062501376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=3692f7902ffe6258ddaf88426f395e82&oe=5CDF54AC

Saw plenty of half 'n' half Liverpool / Rangers scarves when I used to visit Belfast regularly c12-15 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

limnam wrote: »

People follow teams like united all over the world. It's not just "irish" people

In a European context, yes, it is just Irish people.

As said, Scots can be die hards for their local club yet have time for an English side. Celtic lads often lean towards Liverpool, Gers do to Chelsea, but there's few who would be purely for these sides and deride Scottish football. You also mention local pride- Glasgow has two teams that get 40,000 plus per gate, yet the metropolitan area also contains a handful of teams that attract gate receipts most LOI sides can only dream of. Same in Manchester- two of the biggest teams on the planet yet thousands of die hards pay in at Oldham, Bury, Rochdale in numbers at multiples of most LOI sides. These lads are from 10 miles away from Old Trafford and yet when they were 5 years old opted for a life of fighting it out at sub Championship level over away days to Madrid and Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I think it's pretty impossible to support football in this country without liking an English team.

Do think it pointless getting worked up about it though. It won't change. Just enjoy what you have.

It really isn't. I used to "follow" Man City as a child ( in the 70's so way before the money.) That was the way, everybody just picked an English team. I realised over time that they had nothing to do with me. Have been a season ticket holder at Richmond Park for nearly 25 years (having been the odd time as a kid.) Pats are my only team now.

Agree with your last point. I'm not really too bothered about what others do. You won't convert anyone by pointing out the absurdity of calling English teams "we". If people are happy with that, good luck to them. I'm happy with my team (even after last night :(

In a European context, yes, it is just Irish people.

Yeah?

You should tell that to the scandiavain manchester united supporters club. They'd love to hear from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Omackeral wrote: »
    To a degree but then why not support Spain or Germany over Ireland? Why not support Kilkenny over Wexford in the hurling?

Loads of people support counties different to the counties they are from. Go to a Galway Hurling match, let it be an inter-county match or the Galway county final and you'll see people there from Roscommon, leitrim, Mayo, Sligo etc. Some of them are well known to hardly ever miss a match and could teach some local lads a thing or two about Galway hurling in the days gone by. Same story around the country. You're talking out of your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

My father supports Man United, I've no idea why but growing in the 90s that's the matches that were shown in my house so naturally started supporting them. I imagine the players had a lot to do with me sticking with United. Try to watch LOI but the tv coverage is so poor, I must get around to actually going to a game

Edenmoar wrote: »
    I dread the day Dundalk or Bohs or Cark draw Yenira or Celtic or one of those teams in Europa group stage and the crowd is 90% for the British team. Cringe.

I'd be half tempted to dust off the Pool jersey and stall in if Rovers ended up playing them :D

I really wouldn't. Loath Rovers as everyone outside of Tallaght does, but joining the Dublin Reds or whatever they refer to themselves as in the stands to belt out the two chants they average fan knows would be toe curling.

Mentioning Celtic, even more bizarre mental gymnastics are those who chastise "West Brits" who fpllow an English club, because they themselves keep it Irish by following....Celtic?!? I'll admit I do like to see them go on in Europe but it is textbook armchair fan nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Gonad wrote: »
    We have a great product on our door step . It could be much much better if Irish people supoorted it better . I know it works both ways but if Irish people actually just went to a game every week at home we would be flying

https://youtu.be/acRQXajXnJw

I'm thinking the top sides in the League of Ireland in the last 5 years: Dundalk and Cork are playing at the standard of middle to top of the English Championship/bottom of the Premiership even e.g. Fulham/Cardiff/Huddersfield and other teams that may yoyo up and down.

Evidence is from watching the games involving Dundalk and Cork, and in particular Dundalk's runs in Europe, competitive against teams like BATE, AZ Alkmaar, Zenit and Rosenberg. Players can and do slot into Championship sides and Premiership sides when they go across. There are mixed experiences of this sure, but there always will be.

But then the attendances in the League of Ireland, even at the top games, are way below this standard. The best attended League of Ireland clubs have average attendances that are above only a dozen or so of the 92 clubs across the 4 English divisions. So top League of Ireland clubs are aiming to compete at an English Championship/European Champions League/Europa league final qualifying round standard, with bottom half of Division 4 attendances.

The attendances are poor for the standard of football on display, which is kinda the fault of the local football loving public to be brutally honest. It's not all the fault of the clubs/FAI from what I can see going to matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

Why does a guy from ballinhassig follow cork city fc and not ballinhassig afc?

Why should you be restricted to the most _local_ team?

In a globally connected world, working in American companies, presses full of foreign foods, buying from forigen supermarkets watching foreign/British television drinking foreign beverages.

But it;s odd to follow a team an hour away?

I think it’s just annoying to LOI fans that there’s such fervent support for foreign teams when we have a league on our own doorstep that would greatly improve if we paid more attention to it. People saying “we” this and that about Spurs and Liverpool is hella cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I suppose the same lads only support RTE and Irish funded TV productions and don't go near British programming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm thinking the top sides in the League of Ireland in the last 5 years: Dundalk and Cork are playing at the standard of middle to top of the English Championship/bottom of the Premiership even e.g. Fulham/Cardiff/Huddersfield and other teams that may yoyo up and down.

Evidence is from watching the games involving Dundalk and Cork, and in particular Dundalk's runs in Europe, competitive against teams like BATE, AZ Alkmaar, Zenit and Rosenberg. Players can and do slot into Championship sides and Premiership sides when they go across. There are mixed experiences of this sure, but there always will be.

But then the attendances in the League of Ireland, even at the top games, are way below this standard. The best attended League of Ireland clubs have average attendances that are above only a dozen or so of the 92 clubs across the 4 English divisions. So top League of Ireland clubs are aiming to compete at an English Championship/European Champions League/Europa league final qualifying round standard, with bottom half of Division 4 attendances.

The attendances are poor for the standard of football on display, which is kinda the fault of the local football loving public to be brutally honest. It's not all the fault of the clubs/FAI from what I can see going to matches.

Not a chance. Lower Championship to mid league one at best. Which is grand like, the matches are still good viewing for the most part, but that's a mad comparison.

I think it’s just annoying to LOI fans that there’s such fervent support for foreign teams when we have a league on our own doorstep that would greatly improve if we paid more attention to it. People saying “we” this and that about Spurs and Liverpool is hella cringe.

Hella cringe is hella cringe

I suppose the same lads only support RTE and Irish funded TV productions and don't go near British programming

D-. Must try harder.

Why?

Pick your team, go to your game enjoy your match. What difference does it make who or what some other fan does?

Do you think people who go to watch Tallaght town FC give out about people from Tallaght going to watch rovers? Rovers are blow ins, why didn't they go to watch Tallaght town before? or newtown rangers, or milmount? Why are they going to rovers!

It's a penny looking down on a happenny. Enjoy your ball and fck what everyone else is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who's "we"? Can watch pretty much anything on the planet wit hthe internet. I just finished watching Central Coast Mariners v Wellington Pheonix in the Australian A-league (admittedly only because I had a bet on it :) )

I watch American football and MLS. I watch Spanish, German and occasionally Dutch soccer. I watch ice hockey from time to time, but amn't very knowledge about it.
    I dread the day Dundalk or Bohs or Cark draw Yenira or Celtic or one of those teams in Europa group stage and the crowd is 90% for the British team. Cringe.

Genuine question - who?

---

In answer to the OP, it's a combination of quality and exposure. The premier league is a better quality league and when any of us over the age of about 35 started watching soccer it was the only league we had exposure to at the time. As I said, that's change a bit recently. Plus a l lot of people carried on following the teams out parents and older family followed for the same reason. We were kids.

I do try and catch a Premier league game when I'm home in Ireland, but unfortunaly it's usually over Christmas when the season's over. Wouldn't have a favourite team though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I watch very very little English TV unless it's a subject I'm really interested in. Outside of the odd streamed show, 95% of my TV viewing is 1-4.

Genuine question - who?

Man yenira.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Let's stop all going to the cinema cause very little Irish movie's.
    Also don't listen to any music that is not Irish.

Oh and I also support the LOI. But sometimes people just like enjoy other Fruits for whole host of reasons

D-. Must try harder.

What's the difference then?

To me it just seems like people want something to be outraged about.

Being judgmental about what team of people kicking a ball somebody supports is a bit mad to me.

Clubs are about loyalty and where you’re from, at least that’s what Bohs are to me. It’s part of my identity, you might find that sad but I feel a real sense of belonging in Dalymount. We have family birthday parties in the bars in Dalymount and I’ve been there since I’m a toddler. My uncles retirement do was there recently and he writes for the match programs sometimes. These things don’t apply to Corpnation st. I suppose bar stoolers wouldn’t get what it’s like to support their own team. Bohs is a community.

I watch very very little English TV unless it's a subject I'm really interested in. Outside of the odd streamed show, 95% of my TV viewing is 1-4.

And 95% of my soccer viewing is British. Unless is a game I'm really interested in.

Comes down to personal taste I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

... the standard of middle to top of the English Championship/bottom of the Premiership even e.g. Fulham/Cardiff/Huddersfield and other teams that may yoyo up and down.

Simply, and I don't mean to offend, you're deluded.

And 95% of my soccer viewing is British. Unless is a game I'm really interested in.

Comes down to personal taste I guess?

It does indeed. That's why I don't care who watches it so long as I don't have to unless it's something to do with an Irish international.

Clubs are about loyalty and where you’re from, at least that’s what Bohs are to me. That doesn’t apply to Corpnation st. I suppose bar stoolers wouldn’t get what it’s like to support their own team. Bohs is a community.

Why does boh's have so many fans from castleknock?

They're not from phibs/cabra?

Should rovers fans from dublin 1 stop supporting them when the moved to to miltown? should people from miltown stop supporting them becuase they moved to tallaght

There's no rules to football fan/support and it's moronc views like this that prevent a lot of people coming into LOI.

Yeah?

You should tell that to the scandiavain manchester united supporters club. They'd love to hear from you.

I would wager the majority of the supporters club also support Helsingsborgs, Malmo etc etc.

Just under 18,000 people countrywide attended the first week of this season of LOI. Assuming it's mostly men, about 0.75 percent of the male population. More than 99 out of 100 men were not there. Yet probably 70 out of 100 of these regard themselves as a fan of a British club.

I believe something like 200,000 attend at least one EPL game per year. I'd bet the majority of these never attend LOI.

Clubs are about loyalty and where you’re from, at least that’s what Bohs are to me. It’s part of my identity, you might find that sad but I feel a real sense of belonging in Dalymount. We have family birthday parties in the bars in Dalymount and I’ve been there since I’m a toddler. My uncles retirement do was there recently and he writes for the match programs sometimes. These things don’t apply to Corpnation st. I suppose bar stoolers wouldn’t get what it’s like to support their own team. Bohs is a community.

And I feel a real sense of belonging at Anfield. That's what supporting your team is about.

• Advertisement

I would wager the majority of the supporters club also support Helsingsborgs, Malmo etc etc.

Just under 18,000 people countrywide attended the first week of this season of LOI. Assuming it's mostly men, about 0.75 percent of the male population. More than 99 out of 100 men were not there. Yet probably 70 out of 100 of these regard themselves as a fan of a British club.

I believe something like 200,000 attend at least one EPL game per year. I'd bet the majority of these never attend LOI.

So it's not just an Irish thing.

Glad we cleared that up.

Advertisement