Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

In the bgdp training scheme they said the figures for new calves were calculated by cow + bull / 2. Has this changed?

I registered 4 new calves last week and when the Eurostar figures were updated none of them are what you'd think they would be. They range from 10 less to 5 more than the method above.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

croot wrote: »
    In the bgdp training scheme they said the figures for new calves were calculated by cow + bull / 2. Has this changed?

I registered 4 new calves last week and when the Eurostar figures were updated none of them are what you'd think they would be. They range from 10 less to 5 more than the method above.

If one parent had higher reliability would that play a role?

If one parent had higher reliability would that play a role?
    I don't know. Could be that. I won't worry to much cause thankfully they are all above 120 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Walking through the cows today filling out the Cow Milkability and Cow Docility survey. They went running around me in circles mad when they saw me with the sheet of paper. Gas, isn't it. Normally they wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of me. Anything strange and they get all excited.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Walking through the cows today filling out the Cow Milkability and Cow Docility survey. They went running around me in circles mad when they saw me with the sheet of paper. Gas, isn't it. Normally they wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of me. Anything strange and they get all excited.
    Probably trying to show off their docility to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Do it all on the phone. Makes life allot easier

The ignorance of some advisors when it comes to the BDGP is frightening. Was on a farm walk today, when the subject arose. An elderly planner giving a talk at it would want to read the terms & conditions of the programme. His knowledge of it could be written on the back of a postage stamp. Frightening stuff.

Even more frightening is that poor suckers like you and I pay fools like him for giving us 'their perils of wisdom'.

Only one cure for the likes of this, we must start reading the documentation that we are sent from the department and not be depending on eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Do it all on the phone. Makes life allot easier
    I like to fill in the form first and then input it all online. I do this so that I always have the same values (milk an docility) put in for the cows from year to year. It will come up the same then from year to year on their system. Probably doesn't really matter but at least I will be consistent.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Looking at our cull list now the new eurostars are finally fully updated. Newer generations not adding up on the stars...herd average replacement rating will drop quite a bit if we cull the older girls with the 115-135e ratings. Have 12 in calf to Tombapik for CH replacements, please God all goes well and at least half are female!

Wouldn't want to be putting on my eggs in one basket on a Charolais bull.

Are you pedigree?

Folks, an elderly neighbour of mine paid me a visit today, with a letter from the department. The letter stated that TWO advisors had billed the department for completing his carbon navigator.

I know who actually did that C.N. for him because the same guy did mine. The only other 'advisor' that would have known his herd number, etc is a retired planner who used work for an organisation providing research, advisory and training services to agriculture industry.

I hope this greedy 'advisor' does not get paid his €160 & is 'struck off' by the department, the chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Wouldn't want to be putting on my eggs in one basket on a Charolais bull.

Are you pedigree?

No, my brother has a few pedigree CH heifers he's just gotten into but the fathers are all commercial. Would be better off with a different breed for replacements but he likes the look of white/grey animals :)
    They say the variation within a breed is as marked as across the breeds so fingers crossed in 2019 we have some CH heifers calving with more milk than usual!

Have any of ye come across this since BDGP money started to be sent to farmers?

The Mrs. was only in the door from work this evening, when an elderly neighbour arrived. He had phoned the dept about last years BDGP payment only to be told that because he had a BVD calf in 2015 he might not get paid his money.

Was told by a fella in Portlaois that he should have tested this calf 20 days after its birth & have had its sample in a lab for testing. Your man in the dept told the neighbour it took him 30 days to do this with his pi positive calf and that he would have to put a very good case in writing if he wanted to receive a "single cent" of the suckler payment.

Have any of ye encountered the same problem & what did ye do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I didnt do the training element of the scheme and my payment has been witheld (lost). Spoke to teagasc and they tell me 600 farmers have failed to meet this requirement. It now appears that the department may run courses again to allow this requirement to be filled. There will of course be penalties if you have to go this route.
    I was under the impression that when the IFA agreed to this scheme we would only lose the money related to which every requirement they were short, clearly this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭tanko

Got the letter about tagging animals for genotyping this year. The last of the cows and heifers to be done, half of animals for tagging are last years bull calves.
    The tags are going to be sent out in Feb and March.
    There's an option to defer selection of animals for tagging and printing of tags until April 02nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I also just checked mine and 90 per cent bulls selected. Not sure wtf icbf are at as they are cow families that breed well but stars are low and they are ignoring these..I thought this was a maternal program and genotying was to help fix the reliability of the stars... I lose more faith in this every day as my view is that icbf are clueless...especially selecting all bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    Got the letter about tagging animals for genotyping this year. The last of the cows and heifers to be done, half of animals for tagging are last years bull calves.
    The tags are going to be sent out in Feb and March.
    There's an option to defer selection of animals for tagging and printing of tags until April 02nd.

Got that aswell yesterday and deferred it until April. Don't think there was any bull calves on the list I got though.

Got that aswell yesterday and deferred it until April. Don't think there was any bull calves on the list I got though.

I have to tag bullocks that were born last year as i've only a few cows left that haven't been done. Don't want to defer ordering the tags, just want to get it done asap. Should have plenty of heifers born this year for tagging next year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bellview wrote: »
    I also just checked mine and 90 per cent bulls selected. Not sure wtf icbf are at as they are cow families that breed well but stars are low and they are ignoring these..I thought this was a maternal program and genotying was to help fix the reliability of the stars... I lose more faith in this every day as my view is that icbf are clueless...especially selecting all bulls
    What do you mean 90% bulls selected?

Have any of ye come across this since BDGP money started to be sent to farmers?

The Mrs. was only in the door from work this evening, when an elderly neighbour arrived. He had phoned the dept about last years BDGP payment only to be told that because he had a BVD calf in 2015 he might not get paid his money.

Was told by a fella in Portlaois that he should have tested this calf 20 days after its birth & have had its sample in a lab for testing. Your man in the dept told the neighbour it took him 30 days to do this with his pi positive calf and that he would have to put a very good case in writing if he wanted to receive a "single cent" of the suckler payment.

Have any of ye encountered the same problem & what did ye do about it?

Did it take him 30 days to do the retest on a PI?

Happy enough here with the ones selected for tagging. All female and some of the older cows I was curious about are on the list as well as young heifers

• Advertisement

What do you mean 90% bulls selected?

Of the 10 animals selected for genotying 9 were bulls event hough I have 20 females that are available for selection

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Bellview wrote:
    Of the 10 animals selected for genotying 9 were bulls event hough I have 20 females that are available for selection

Stupid question maybe but Is there an option to select animals you like to genotype yourself?

pure breed wrote: »
    Stupid question maybe but Is there an option to select animals you like to genotype yourself?

Yeah, there is but you need to do it before Sunday i think.

pure breed wrote:

Agree option is there but how did they manage to select 9 bulls and one heifer...no doubt someone will blame the computer and not the person that selected the criteria
    I have made changes but I thought these guys were a professional set up not amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭jfh

You can change the selection before Sunday, I have one cow to genotype that 17! I'm going to swap her over for a weanling heifer, more beneficial

croot wrote: »
    Did it take him 30 days to do the retest on a PI?

No it took the man 30 days to take his first BVD sample & to send it to a lab. I think

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, there is but you need to do it before Sunday i think.

how do you do this?

RD10 wrote: »
    how do you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Has anyone been paid yet?

We have received noting for any of the scheme. I'm burnt out calling them about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Has anyone been paid yet?

We have received noting for any of the scheme. I'm burnt out calling them about it
    You should have been paid before christmas, we got it and we hadnt filled in the surveys as calves were not 5 months yet

Advertisement