Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NHL Off-Season Trade Activity and General Talk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Rangers acquire Falk from the Wild,

Falk trade

Someone is going bye, bye! I won't be shocked at all to see either Staal or MDZ moved! Personally, I think a fit Staal is better than MDZ. MDZ isn't up to scratch for the post season. Newbury has gone to the Flyers in exchange for Danny Syvret.

Don't know what is going on with all these D trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Leafs GM Dave Nonis is an idiot. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Izy wrote: »
    Letang agreed to an 8year/58 mil. deal. 7.25/mil a year. I do not think this is a good idea for the pens...

Dupuis also signed a four year deal on Tuesday. I'm sitting on the fence with regards the Letang deal. Great to have Malkin, Crosby and him all tied long-term, but that's a heck of a lot of cap space over the next few years in a small group of players.

But really happy to have that core for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Posted this on the wrong thread initially:

So Sequin and Peverly gone to Dallas, for Eriksson and prospects. I'm a big fan of Eriksson, very underrated and a good 2 way forward, he would be a great fit on that Bergeron line. Also a fan of Sequin, but if reports of his antics during the playoffs are true, coupled with all the partying during the regular season, then he has brought this on himself. I wish him and Peverly all the best, but I'm excited to see Eriksson come to Causeway.

This is gonna be a wild ride with free agency I think.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Iggy to Beantown. The new Hossa?

• Advertisement

Meh. Ah in fairness I hope he does well, he still has some good left in him, I just wish he had gone when he was first asked instead of going to the Pens.

What I really wanted was Bobby Ryan. This guy has the potential to be the best power forward in the league, can't believe he went to Ottawa, I was gutted when I heard.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

The Bulin wall back to Chicago. Was sorry to see Emery go but he wasn't going to get a number 1 shot there so good luck in Philly, you'll need it. Call me naive but nearly all the deals yesterday stank of guys chasing money and not going to genuine title contenders. Ryan is a fantastic player but Otawa, Horton to Columbus and Vinny to the Flyers.

Yeah, glad we have no cap room. Crazy figures being tossed about. That Clowe deal :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

It looks more and more like Bickell took and big home town discount to stay in Chicago with the dollars being thrown about. He probably would have gotten 5.5+ on the market. If Stalberg got 3 million off Nashville Bickell is worth 3 times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

tolosenc wrote: »
    Iggy to Beantown. The new Hossa?

He had better end up with two rings if you throw that title at him.

Alfredsson to the Red Wings is a similar situation. Veterans wanting a chance at a ring before they retire.

• Advertisement

aaronm13 wrote: »
    It looks more and more like Bickell took and big home town discount to stay in Chicago with the dollars being thrown about. He probably would have gotten 5.5+ on the market. If Stalberg got 3 million off Nashville Bickell is worth 3 times that.

The Stalberg contract is almost laughable. I'm not usre how you throw four years at a player like that. He has excellent north/south speed but he can't make it work going side to side. He disappears for games on end. He stats are heavily titled thanks to the games that he shows up against Columbus ( have a look at those numbers sometime). I just don't get it.

I think Bickell is overpaid at the number the Hawks signed him. We're 48 games out of a lockout and teams are throwing these numbers around. It's a good thing that this is a 10 year CBA, because we'd be right back where we started in a few years.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    The Bulin wall back to Chicago. Was sorry to see Emery go but he wasn't going to get a number 1 shot there so good luck in Philly, you'll need it. Call me naive but nearly all the deals yesterday stank of guys chasing money and not going to genuine title contenders. Ryan is a fantastic player but Otawa, Horton to Columbus and Vinny to the Flyers.

Emery is going to be the biggest bargain in hockey next season. He will beat out Mason in Philadelphia.

Glad to see Nic back in the building. He should give Antti Raanta sometime in Rockford to get used to the North American game.

Alfredsson to the Red Wings is a similar situation. Veterans wanting a chance at a ring before they retire.

If vets were that desperate for a championship, they'd sign at league minimum ($550k), not $5-6 million per.

If vets were that desperate for a championship, they'd sign at league minimum ($550k), not $5-6 million per.

Why ?

They offered him a contract and he has a chance to go deep in the playoffs (especially in the East).

Why ?

They offered him a contract and he has a chance to go deep in the playoffs (especially in the East).

Next year there'll be Gaborik, Vanek, Lundqvist, Sedin, Sedin, Marleau, Thornton, Iggy, Alfie, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf...

Signing at minimum allows their new team to acquire more depth. Adding all of the above for a combined 7 million cap hit? Or even 2 or three of them (Sedins + Vanek = 100 goals for <$2mil combined)? These players are already set for life, one season making "only" a half million won't kill them, but will drastically improve their chances

Next year there'll be Gaborik, Vanek, Lundqvist, Sedin, Sedin, Marleau, Thornton, Iggy, Alfie, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf...

Signing at minimum allows their new team to acquire more depth. Adding all of the above for a combined 7 million cap hit? Or even 2 or three of them (Sedins + Vanek = 100 goals for <$2mil combined)? These players are already set for life, one season making "only" a half million won't kill them, but will drastically improve their chances

It's a one year deal. Detroit is under the Cap and offered him the deal. Also, the NHLPA is not a big proponent of contract like that. They can affect the rates that other players can command if brought to arbitration. Even Mario Lemieux had to pay himself the league average when he came back and he owned the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Where is everyone going to watch the hockey this year

Anywhere I can. Gamecentre, online streams, anywhere I can. I'm not a fan of Setanta and they are a last resort, if another supplier came in with a decent package and good presenters I'd probably go for it.

Anywhere I can. Gamecentre, online streams, anywhere I can. I'm not a fan of Setanta and they are a last resort, if another supplier came in with a decent package and good presenters I'd probably go for it.

Setanta is 20 a month with bbc not part of the sub. I only need hockey not into any other sport they show

• Advertisement

It'll be Gamecenter again for me.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It'll be Gamecenter again for me.

Is it good joe. I tried the nfl one a few weeks back but I was pretty slow. Than again it was a free trial day

cena wrote: »
    Is it good joe. I tried the nfl one a few weeks back but I was pretty slow. Than again it was a free trial day

It's perfect if you've the internet connection and set-up to enjoy it, yes.

PS - Teemu Selanne signed for another year with the Ducks today. 43 years young.

PS - Teemu Selanne signed for another year with the Ducks today. 43 years young.[/quote

I'm so happyhe is staying. Only thing is I'll not get to see him play if this is his last season

I'm so happyhe is staying. Only thing is I'll not get to see him play if this is his last season

When I met him in Stockholm in 2011 I thought it was going to be his last season, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

PS - Teemu Selanne signed for another year with the Ducks today. 43 years young.

One pretty big thing to take into account is where you are.

I presume you're in Ireland, and as such won't have an issue, but it's a pain in the hoop when you live in the blackout area of your team. No Canucks games when I was living in Vancouver, for example. Definitely not home ones, and I think there was some limitation on road games.

One pretty big thing to take into account is where you are.

I presume you're in Ireland, and as such won't have an issue, but it's a pain in the hoop when you live in the blackout area of your team. No Canucks games when I was living in Vancouver, for example. Definitely not home ones, and I think there was some limitation on road games.

The live TV games are blacked out for 48hrs here too.

The live TV games are blacked out for 48hrs here too.

Do they do this in the states as well?

Well there be any 24/7 series on again this season.

Any one thinking of going to an outdoor game this season like the ones in yankee stadium

• Advertisement

Do they do this in the states as well?

Well there be any 24/7 series on again this season.

Any one thinking of going to an outdoor game this season like the ones in yankee stadium

They do it in the States as well. Have heard nothing about a planned 24/7 series, but they generally aren't discussed until the season has started.

Would love to get to another outdoor game but probably not this season for me.

Advertisement