Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭epfff

Cam down all
    beef is still v good
    grass cattle were slightly over heated last spring they were not matching factory prices.
    It just hitting level now
    2euro/kg is not bad for seller if you look at fields meal price ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

pakalasa wrote: »
    ???? What did they do??

they absolutely welded them and have now the guys who bought them are absolutely burned with those animals as they aren't worth the color of what was paid for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

leg wax wrote: »
    new ross had a great sale of weanlings yesterday 3 shippers at it,but the same for the heifers they were not interested in them,some very good prices for the bulls.

It certainly had but the quality was superb too and some bulls made very close to €3 /kg.

Haven't been in a mart for nearly 3 months but while trade is back I think it made be over hyped here.

Certainly heifers are back a lot more than bullocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I find that hard to believe, and would say its untrue if I didn't see it myself. I have never seen more than 10% of animals go home and never being in a mart where there is only one buyer, any mart I go to has too many buyers:D. As I said all along things are not great and what most mart managers done over June and July has come back to haunt them. Im buying away and good stores are costing around €2 a kilo. Where are all the guys who couldn't get enough of these animals for love or money 3 months ago. they are not all farming in bad land, like sheep they were

you should go to Clifden bob, this definitely happened, one lad told me today that he went out to see what cattle were making and it was like an episode out of eastenders, he would have been better off watching eastenders... dealers cattle and main buyer noy buying so ...out, out, out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Roscrea was a bit like that on friday for heifers, a lot of hungry looking dealers cattle went through unsold, but much better prices for fresh cattle had a few in meself was sure i'd be taking em home but they averaged 2.14/kg for mostly plain heifers, couple of lims out of handy bbx cows, shapey but not eyecatchers went 2.40+ . Some nice fleshy 600kg + heifers goin through unsold but bidders following out the sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭locha

Quoted 3.90 for R's and 4.00 for U's - Steers. Again one of the large factories would not even quote me. Any updates out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Dunedin

locha wrote: »
    Quoted 3.90 for R's and 4.00 for U's - Steers. Again one of the large factories would not even quote me. Any updates out there?

Got 3.85 base yesterday for steers.................... And I reckon they will keep falling too.

Weather is paying puck with it all and the factories are licking it up. Was listening to Henry Burns on the radio yesterday evening going on about how the factories were saying last year that they needed x amount of cattle to meet their demand but even though the kill is down a lot from last year (cannot rem the exact figures Henry said) and still the hoors are pulling prices every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Starting to wonder is this the factories trying to smooth out their supply to make sure they do have cattle to slaughter later in the year with so many fella's off loading stock under finished due to the bad weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I was thinking the same...wouln't be surprised if we saw a lift in prices again, around or before the normal dip in oct/nov. It has been an unusual year in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was thinking the same...wouln't be surprised if we saw a lift in prices again, around or before the normal dip in oct/nov. It has been an unusual year in many ways.

Or even during oct/nov. It will depend on the weather. Last year the best price for grass cattle in the factories was in the middle of november. If we have adry autaum the same may happen. If it continues wet however the factories mat be killing 500-600Kg store cattle alll autaum long.

• Advertisement

one hundred post previous! cattle are back to killing well which is the most important thing. way too many under finished cattle being killed. doing this will rob you

one hundred post previous! cattle are back to killing well which is the most important thing. way too many under finished cattle being killed. doing this will rob you

I shouldn't have this problem - reckon they have eaten €55 of meal a head in the last 3.5 weeks. It's such a savage outlay.. But could not send under finished animals

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭dryan

bumping this one up - anyone get any quotes lately?

Not personally. A neighbour got quoted.. now wait for this.. 3.60 for Steers all O grade fresian/x. As he said himself it was a nice way for the factor to tell him to f off...

I sold some last week base of 3.85 for overage fresians and 3.8 for a few dairy cross R grade bulls they were nearly 30 months. I had only six in total had to move the bulls and just send a few bullocks with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Should I kill heifers at 525kgs live. After feeding for sixty days or would they be underfinished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Quoted 3.95 for U and 3.85 for R, -kildare
    but 4 is available for U grades, I'm told- rathdowney
    young bulls

LivInt20 wrote: »
    Should I kill heifers at 525kgs live. After feeding for sixty days or would they be underfinished?

Depends on heifers type AA or Hereford would kill around 270 kgs at that some contenintal heifers finish easy enough as well. A lot depends on there flesh cover may be a little light for contemintal heifers however you could get an agent to look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Depends on heifers type AA or Hereford would kill around 270 kgs at that some contenintal heifers finish easy enough as well. A lot depends on there flesh cover may be a little light for contemintal heifers however you could get an agent to look at them.

Belgian Blue heifers 22 months old. Probably U grade.

LivInt20 wrote: »
    Belgian Blue heifers 22 months old. Probably U grade.

not a hope, feed for another 60 days, but im an advocate for weights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

Got €3.70 for O grade fresians on friday Kepak Athleague 20month old bulls 350kg,s dead

got quoted 3.85 base price over the phone for underage bullocks yesterday - kepak.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Quoted 3.80 for overage bullocks and 3.85 for underage this morning from Dawn Meats , "best i can do " says he .

A base price of 3.85 seems to be the going rate.
    was hoping that the fine spell over the last week would force the factories to increase the quotes a bit but they are not stirring.

Think i will move on a few this week.

whispers of 3.80 flying around the place as a base price for next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

dryan wrote: »
    whispers of 3.80 flying around the place as a base price for next week....

So a pull in other words....

taught it would be going in the opposite direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

taught it would be going in the opposite direction

Probably got a flush after the good 10 days - where out of I don't know. :(

Im hearing for steers that 3.90-3.95 is to be got... Will find out shortly as i have 2 factory reps calling in.The pull will come on the week after the ploughing.. For some reason it always seems to happen...

• Advertisement

locha wrote: »
    Im hearing for steers that 3.90-3.95 is to be got... Will find out shortly as i have 2 factory reps calling in.The pull will come on the week after the ploughing.. For some reason it always seems to happen...

got and get are two different things unfortunately. IFA said €4 is to be "got"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement