Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant

• 27-07-2004 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Not sure if this is a common problem but it's one which has been annoying me lately.

The fact that clothes sizes are not uniform throughout the various shops is something which has boggled me for years.

In some shops a size 8 will fit me perfectly and in others I'll be lucky to fit a size 10. Then there's the shops where you wish they made a size 9 as neither an 8 or a 10 fit nicely.

Why can't they all have a standard measurement system?

It'd make buying clothes a little easier if you could be confident that you were a certain size all the time. Just to make life a little easier.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Same with men's trouser's!

altho i doubt you would have that problum amz! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well I assumed men would have a similar problem alright.

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

damm straight,
    i have to buy a pair of jeans too big and wear a belt opposed to just wearing regular pants, ala no belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

agent smith, is that cause you are the wrong body shape for them maybe? Or else don't like the fit? I dont like my jeans or trousers too tight and as a result have to get the waist bigger than it needs and wear a belt also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It happens all over the place. Dunnes sizing is definitely more generous than other places.

Adidas runners are always on the small side. I wear a size 4 shoe in general, but it's a 5 in Adidas.

Dunno why this is the way though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, it's not that common with mens trousers. I mean, a 30 inch waist is a 30 inch waist, there's not really any ambiguity there. Although, that being said, some trousers are designed to be worn lower down the hips or to be looser, so that leads to a variation.

I can't recall ever buying trousers in a size other than my norm due to size variations between stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's because people want to believe they are a small size and will shop where they can say "yeah I'm a 6" or whatever.

That or some kind of clothes shop conspirational allegiance which will no doubt end us up on the side of the street wearing cardboard boxes and teacosies on our heads.

Or perhaps they do it so you're forced to try on so many pairs of trousers/whateveryou'rebuying and they just sort of grow on you while you're trying them on over and over. Like some kind of spore.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I seem to remember a designer (perhaps it was CK, I can't quite remember) who had the actual size labels on the clothes reflect a smaller size (so a size 10 would be labelled a size 8, and so on). The rationale was that the person buying the garment "was paying a lot" for it and "deserved" the right to a smaller size. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it got them some free publicity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Lately it seems there's no consistency even within the same shop. I bought 2 same size pairs of trousers in Dunnes recently, both Dunnes own label, one pair fits perfectly, the other is way too tight :confused:

Yeah, that's why I always try on stuff before I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ Evelynn Repulsive Gang

In my experience shoes woul dhave to be the biggest offender with regards varying size, my feet are anything from 11-13 depending on the brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by Amz
    Yeah, that's why I always try on stuff before I buy it.

:) Tried one on and presumed the other would fit. Won't make that mistake again!

Made that (expensive) mistake before...
    Don't think my bank balance can afford to do it again!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Kolodny
    :) Tried one on and presumed the other would fit. Won't make that mistake again!

Luckily someone taught me to do that years ago, it has saved me at least once from making a big mistake. Most of my footware purchases are probably sportswear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

Its actually hilarious the differences in sizes from place to place..

My sister (who's a size 8 top & bottom), tried on a hoody in some sports shop last week & the size 10 was way too tight, same with 12. She had to buy a size 14!!!

I usually wear size 12/14 but there's not a hope in hell i'd even fit a 14 in River Island (thats why i dont shop there anymore coz i know i'm NOT a 16 so i refuse to buy it!!)

It's not really a problem for me in regard to footwear, I'm generally the same size in all shoes... maybe a size bigger for football boots due to the thicker socks and stuff. I am a narrow fitting though so certain brands are more comfortable that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

A lot of footwear manufacturers these days refuse to accept the fact that people are getting taller. And as people are getting taller, feet are getting bigger.

Buying footwear is the absolute bane of my life. I am a size 9.5 (sometimes 10) and it is virtually impossible to find shoes that fit me. Womens shoes go to a size 8 maximum.

There are specific ranges in clothing shops that cater for tall women, but generally nothing for women with size 8+ feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

Originally posted by Kolodny
    Lately it seems there's no consistency even within the same shop. I bought 2 same size pairs of trousers in Dunnes recently, both Dunnes own label, one pair fits perfectly, the other is way too tight :confused:
    Thats true, but a friend of mine who's well up in the rag trade said that's because in many highstreet stores esp the low-end ones, the same garments can be made in different factories, two identical pairs of trousers both the same size and one pair could have been made in Korea and one in China for example such is the nature of the reatilers outsourcing and this can account for discrepencies in sizes in the one range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

vibrant wrote:
    I seem to remember a designer (perhaps it was CK, I can't quite remember) who had the actual size labels on the clothes reflect a smaller size (so a size 10 would be labelled a size 8, and so on). The rationale was that the person buying the garment "was paying a lot" for it and "deserved" the right to a smaller size. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it got them some free publicity!

They call it "vanity sizing".

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've noticed this with shoes a lot. Though my shoe size seems to be shrinking, I used to be a 7 in everything, but now a 6 fits perfectly about 90% of the time! Also with clothes, I'm usually a size 12, but I can be anything from a 10 to a 16 depending where I'm buying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement