Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

I was just on the website there, and I can't see whats coming up on the cycling week, have you any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

cletus wrote: »
    I was just on the website there, and I can't see whats coming up on the cycling week, have you any links?

Posted above - https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/24/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Inquitus wrote: »

Apologies, I went straight to the last page of the thread, so only saw the question above my post

Im thinking of picking it up myself. I have a good selection of tools, and this will double up some of them, but its a relativley cheap way of getting some of the tools I would otherwise have to buy individually

*edit* Actually, looking ar it more closely, I don't think I'll bother. The only tools I don't have in that kit are the bottom bracket tool and the cone wrenches. Not worth the thirty quid

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

The Wilton (Cork) Aldi store has the folding bike for sale. Its marked down to e300.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

mh_cork wrote: »
    The Wilton (Cork) Aldi store has the folding bike for sale. Its marked down to e300.

Is the folding bike any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has that turbo trainer been on sale in Aldi before, if so what was the feedback/reviews like for it? Anyone here own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has that turbo trainer been on sale in Aldi before, if so what was the feedback/reviews like for it? Anyone here own it?

Was looking at this one myself.

Would it be any use for Zwift?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not on its own, it's not a smart trainer. but i believe you can buy an add-on which will make it just smart enough to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

iwillhtfu wrote: »

My wife is looking for one ? Any available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Basic trainer but perfectly useable, you would need a cadence and speed sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Oberkon wrote: »
      My wife is looking for one ? Any available?

Do they sell them in Ireland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rechuchote wrote: »

Do they sell them in Ireland?

There were in stock in Bray the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

The lights cos you can never have enough lights and the GT85

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

The lights cos you can never have enough lights and the GT85

The reviews for those lights in UK aldi are poor. You can get roslons in Argos for the same price and are a much better light.

Do people think there will be a frenzy for the gear this year ?

byrnem31 wrote: »
        The reviews for those lights in UK aldi are poor. You can get roslons in Argos for the same price and are a much better light.
        I've had two sets of the USB ones and they have been great and match, neigh surpass Lezyne lights of 4 times the price.
        Do people think there will be a frenzy for the gear this year ?
        Hard to tell, numbers are up but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

CramCycle wrote: »
        I've had two sets of the USB ones and they have been great and match, neigh surpass Lezyne lights of 4 times the price.

Two sets of Rolsons or two Aldi lights ?

byrnem31 wrote: »
        Two sets of Rolsons or two Aldi lights ?

Aldi, gave one to a new co worker must be 3 years ago(after I had used it for awhile) and still in use, the other is now on my partners bike and even after being ignored for a year, charged up and worked perfectly the other day. I'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

CramCycle wrote: »

I agree. I had the Leyzene 450XL and rear strip light and the Aldi lights are brighter and better battery life. I’ll be buying another set.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

+1 for the lights (the 17.69 euro set). I use a couple of those since three years, very bright and good battery life. I gonna get another set this year.

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought a front and rear lozenge style light from them a couple of years ago. the rear stopped holding a charge about a year after i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

last set of Aldi lights I bought, the front light while super bright, runs down very quickly, and loses charge even when turned off. They're hit and miss in terms of quality but they're cheap enough to take a chance on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why don't people buy AAA or AA lights and fit them with Eneloop rechargeable batteries (or IKEA rechargeables which are apparently the same thing)? The Eneloops will last for years and are easily replaced and recycled and give massive power and battery life (Tesla pack them into bricks in their cars). The light will last pretty much forever that way instead of just going to landfill after a year or 2 like what happens with these rechargeable lithium lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Thargor wrote: »
        Why don't people buy AAA or AA lights and fit them with Eneloop rechargeable batteries (or IKEA rechargeables which are apparently the same thing)? The Eneloops will last for years and are easily replaced and recycled and give massive power and battery life (Tesla pack them into bricks in their cars). The light will last pretty much forever that way instead of just going to landfill after a year or 2 like what happens with these rechargeable lithium lights.

Not the worst advice in the world. I've dug out my front light - a decent Lezyne I bought at the start of last year - in the last week or two. I hadn't used it since the start of lockdown at the end of March and after about 5 months in storage (fully charged before going on the shelf) now won't charge properly. It's improved a bit with a few charge/discharge cycles but still won't get to a complete charge. Battery not serviceable of course :confused:

What's the thoughts on the merino base layers? How do they stand up against pricier brands? Searching back over the thread there seems to be split opinion on them with some claiming that they're itchy (I suspect a wash would help there).

i have BBB branded lights in which i use rechargeable AAAs from aldi; i took one out last week, which had been sitting unused since january and the batteries still had a decent charge in them, which i was a little (pleasantly) surprised by.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

JMcL wrote: »
        What's the thoughts on the merino base layers? How do they stand up against pricier brands? Searching back over the thread there seems to be split opinion on them with some claiming that they're itchy (I suspect a wash would help there).

It may be a personal thing. I don't find them itchy at all but my OH does.

IMO they are excellent: 100% merino at a very good price, nice and warm, keep their shape after a wash and don't stink like some synthetic materials do even after the merest hint of sweat.

JMcL wrote: »

Definitely, I find a wash is a must before wearing. The last base layers I got in Aldi (not merino) I made the mistake of wearing out of the box and they felt horrible on me during the spin. Were grand after a wash.

One of the marnio tops I have is aldi and thats about 2 years old and is still good , though I'd have only worn it once a week for 3-4 months of the year at most.

I find them to both to be decent length too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on the turbo trainer, it is branded Bikemate and theres a video review of it here from some American former Olympic cyclist last year who rates it for the price, which was only $28 in Aldi in the US.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a26988598/aldi-trainer-review/

Its just under 50 euro here but from that review it sounds good for the price. In the video it is not as noisy as I thought it would be despite being magnetic rather than fluid filled. Reckon I might give it a punt, anyone know do they tend to get snapped up fast or was that just a few years ago when they were new?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
        anyone know do they tend to get snapped up fast or was that just a few years ago when they were new?

Hard to say. There was mayhem in the local Aldi when the wetsuits went on sale about a month back - long queues from about 8:30. There wasn't a huge amount of bike gear locally in the last round, but not sure whether this was due to it lying off the shelves, or them just not getting much in

Advertisement