Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Terrible name for a golf course on the south West coast of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'm surprised they're even willing to take green fees TBH - goes against the noises they were making when they opened.

Very much the American private country club model - Ali Marsal's job description tells us exactly the market they want to service

https://www.hogsheadgolfclub.com/contact/

Not too surprising considering their market is America mainly. They probably wouldn't be entertaining the idea if it wasn't for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

PARlance wrote: »
    Not too surprising considering their market is America mainly. They probably wouldn't be entertaining the idea if it wasn't for Covid.

I was of the belief that hogs head remained closed for the yr.
    Average course. Not a patch on Waterville or any of the top courses
    Bringing great business for the locals though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭blackwhite

golfguy1 wrote: »
    I was of the belief that hogs head remained closed for the yr.
    Average course. Not a patch on Waterville or any of the top courses
    Bringing great business for the locals though

Whilst having a pint outside Mick O'Dwyer's pub in Waterville last week I could see a few buggies out on the course.

Haven't played it - but the limited course reviews I've read don't paint it as anything particularly special from a golfing point of view. A few good holes, but no more so that dozens of similar resort-style courses that we already have from the Celtic Tiger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So we are now discouraged from leaving the pale. There goes a couple golf outings booked over the next few weeks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

So we are now discouraged from leaving the pale. There goes a couple golf outings booked over the next few weeks :(

Why would you put your life on hold. Do your own risk assessment and take your own precautions. This new plan makes little or no sense on any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Due to go play Enniscrone and Carne in a few weeks. Hopefully it calms down and restrictions are eased. Very up in the air at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Things seem to be escalating in Dublin day by day. hopefully it calms down soon or it could mean tighter restrictions for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Due to play Portrush on the 29th with 3 of the lads. Hopefully we can still keep the right side of restrictions until then. They're running some form of 4 man team event that was advertised a few months back to commemorate having the open there last year. Pin positions same as Open Sunday, shot tracer off the first etc. £150 a man, think it's usually £240 to play. A complete once off and am really looking forward to it as if I was a child waiting for Santa. It was unreal following Lowry there in the company of his father for a few holes on the Friday last year, course looked spectacular as a fan so hoping it's more so with the sticks in hand. Just hoping the weather holds and no Rory style 8's had on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

KevH1984 wrote: »
    Due to play Portrush on the 29th with 3 of the lads. Hopefully we can still keep the right side of restrictions until then. They're running some form of 4 man team event that was advertised a few months back to commemorate having the open there last year. Pin positions same as Open Sunday, shot tracer off the first etc. £150 a man, think it's usually £240 to play. A complete once off and am really looking forward to it as if I was a child waiting for Santa. It was unreal following Lowry there in the company of his father for a few holes on the Friday last year, course looked spectacular as a fan so hoping it's more so with the sticks in hand. Just hoping the weather holds and no Rory style 8's had on the first.

I played in the one they ran last week. you are in for a treat. Get there nice and early and make use of the free practice balls and facilities. Practice hitting low shots in to the wind beforehand would be advisable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd say if any of you are coming from Dublin you should look for a replacement. I can't imagine travel outside of the county for non essential purposes will be allowed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

etxp wrote: »
    I played in the one they ran last week. you are in for a treat. Get there nice and early and make use of the free practice balls and facilities. Practice hitting low shots in to the wind beforehand would be advisable :D

That's great to hear. It's a fair spin up but the plan would be to be there at least an hour beforehand and do just as you advise. Will be interested to see what kind of score is possible off my own ball. Hopefully close to 80 if the weather is kind-ish. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If you ring The Island and ask for a GUI 4B then you might be pleasantly surprised. It's a beautiful course. Maybe the best on the east coast tbh. And far less stuffy than Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, St Anne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If you ring The Island and ask for a GUI 4B then you might be pleasantly surprised. It's a beautiful course. Maybe the best on the east coast tbh. And far less stuffy than Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, St Anne's.

GUI 4B ?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

GUI 4B ?

GUI Four ball I guess. Wonder what the rate is?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Raisins wrote: »
    GUI Four ball I guess. Wonder what the rate is?

I don’t know, but when I phoned in July about tee times for the coming weekend for 12 GUI golfers, the best price was €600 per four ball.

It’s a great course, possibly the best I’ve stood on. But real value, this summer, is elsewhere.

They might not be stuffy but they wouldn't give practice rounds for inter club matches.

We requested a practice round for 2 guys playing there in singles matches and they wouldn't grant them. Not a Covid thing as they were happy enough to let them play if they paid.

I know another Club booked a practice round (booking was taken in error by someone in the Pro Shop) and they rang them back and cancelled it.

They lost both matches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They might not be stuffy but they wouldn't give practice rounds for inter club matches.

We requested a practice round for 2 guys playing there in singles matches and they wouldn't grant them. Not a Covid thing as they were happy enough to let them play if they paid.

I know another Club booked a practice round (booking was taken in error by someone in the Pro Shop) and they rang them back and cancelled it.

They lost both matches :D

That's pretty poor form. I haven't been involved in any club golf but assumed a practice round was a given.

PARlance wrote: »
    That's pretty poor form. I haven't been involved in any club golf but assumed a practice round was a given.

It had changed slightly this year that it wasn't mandatory, so basically between Clubs themselves to agree. If a Club was trying to abuse it fair enough but that wasn't the case.

Heard about that. My own club you can rock up, pay your green fees and you are on. Even heard (not sure if it is true or not) that they had team members who were members in both courses so new our course inside out while our guys were denied a chance to practice on their place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

willabur wrote: »
    Heard about that. My own club you can rock up, pay your green fees and you are on. Even heard (not sure if it is true or not) that they had team members who were members in both courses so new our course inside out while our guys were denied a chance to practice on their place

Sure that's the same as in The Island if I'm reading it right, the obvious issue being most lads don't want to pay such a steep green fee for a practice round as The Island would charge.

Sure that's the same as in The Island if I'm reading it right, the obvious issue being most lads don't want to pay such a steep green fee for a practice round as The Island would charge.

Hardly the same when you compare the costs - 7 times more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

That's a shocker from The Island not allowing a practice round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

willabur wrote: »
    Hardly the same when you compare the costs - 7 times more expensive

Your club want a green fee for a practice round, The Island want a green fee for a practice round. That your club is cheaper doesn't make a difference it's the same policy.

For what it's worth I think neither should be charging, I'm not standing up for the policy.

Your club want a green fee for a practice round, The Island want a green fee for a practice round. That your club is cheaper doesn't make a difference it's the same policy.

For what it's worth I think neither should be charging, I'm not standing up for the policy.
    I think we have a misunderstanding
    My club doesn't charge for inter clubs practice, my point was that you can play the course and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Will the 4 ball opens at Portmarnock be cancelled considering the new lockdown rules in Dublin?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

That's a shocker from The Island not allowing a practice round.

This is one of the reasons The European is one of my favourite courses nothing to do with inter club. Its just such a highly rated course and one of the best in the country but has no airs or graces! Just a very friendly family who run it. There friendliness & warmness is infectious for such a perceived club.

I played Waterville a couple of years ago on holidays got it at €65 gui rate. I didn't feel welcomed at all! Actually taught they were rude apart from the starter. And Lahinch has been on my bucket least for years. As I used to holiday down there. They dont even entertain GUI rates or hold opens and the girl was dog ignorant on the phone to me. She told me they dont run opens and are flat out that week (Easter) in a snotty tone.

Remember when I went down the course was empty and I was so pi**ed off I considered bunking on! In hindsight I should of :D

But I have no interest of play clubs like that....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will the 4 ball opens at Portmarnock be cancelled considering the new lockdown rules in Dublin?!
    Taken from the RTÉ website explaining the restrictions

Here's what that means for the 1.4 million people who live in the Dublin area:

Travel

Those living in Dublin are advised to stay within the county unless they have to travel for work, education and other essential purposes.

People from outside Dublin are advised to only travel into the county for these same essential purposes.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

benny79 wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons The European is one of my favourite courses nothing to do with inter club. Its just such a highly rated course and one of the best in the country but has no airs or graces! Just a very friendly family who run it. There friendliness & warmness is infectious for such a perceived club.

I played Waterville a couple of years ago on holidays got it at €65 gui rate. I didn't feel welcomed at all! Actually taught they were rude apart from the starter. And Lahinch has been on my bucket least for years. As I used to holiday down there. They dont even entertain GUI rates or hold opens and the girl was dog ignorant on the phone to me. She told me they dont run opens and are flat out that week (Easter) in a snotty tone.

Remember when I went down the course was empty and I was so pi**ed off I considered bunking on! In hindsight I should of :D

But I have no interest of play clubs like that....

Agree on this completely have played twice this year, 2nd time we were to tee off at 10.00 pat ruddy kept us talking for 10 minutes up to 10.10, then said don’t worry about the time lads I will keep the next group talking for 10 minutes too, pure gentleman and it feels like your just playing his back garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

slave1 wrote: »
    Taken from the RTÉ website explaining the restrictions

Here's what that means for the 1.4 million people who live in the Dublin area:

Travel

Those living in Dublin are advised to stay within the county unless they have to travel for work, education and other essential purposes.

People from outside Dublin are advised to only travel into the county for these same essential purposes.

Got a call this morning saying this is off.

Advertisement