Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

legal Advice

• 15-09-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭

A quick question regarding EWSS which has come up on the property forum and I am hoping for an answer here
    If an employer is in receipt of EWSS but gives an employee a letter stating that the employer is not receiving EWSS to enable the employee to draw down a mortgage(banks will not allow draw down of a mortgage if you are on EWSS) is that employer acting fraudulently
    If the employer goes bust when EWSS is finished and the employee can no longer service their mortgage ,could the bank take a legal case against one or both parties for obtaining money or benefit by deception.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That sounds like fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Victor wrote: »
    That sounds like fraud.

My thoughts exactly but some posters could see no harm in it if it got them a mortgage before they lost their job.
    Any specifics on exactly what laws would be broken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

brisan wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly but some posters could see no harm in it if it got them a mortgage before they lost their job.
    Any specifics on exactly what laws would be broken

Well this one or this one.

Some site even provide fake documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

brisan wrote: »
    A quick question regarding EWSS which has come up on the property forum and I am hoping for an answer here
    If an employer is in receipt of EWSS but gives an employee a letter stating that the employer is not receiving EWSS to enable the employee to draw down a mortgage(banks will not allow draw down of a mortgage if you are on EWSS) is that employer acting fraudulently
    If the employer goes bust when EWSS is finished and the employee can no longer service their mortgage ,could the bank take a legal case against one or both parties for obtaining money or benefit by deception.
    Thanks

Wouldn't their payslip for the last number of months not reflect the payment of EWSS? Any difference/s in your tax and prsi or your other levies and deductions and the bank will want very good answers to even issue you with an initial AIP, let alone go to a drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Knowingly and wilfully equals fraud

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Better off not having a mortgage than being a delboy.

I've seen the repercussions of this kind of blatant fraud, and let's just say you'll be saving for everything and no Bank will even give you a car loan with a bad credit history..

Don't do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Closed

Mod
    Thread reopened at poster's request

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Wouldn't their payslip for the last number of months not reflect the payment of EWSS? Any difference/s in your tax and prsi or your other levies and deductions and the bank will want very good answers to even issue you with an initial AIP, let alone go to a drawdown.

It would have with the former TWSS, not in the case of EWSS. The payslip returns to normal, and the employer receives the reimbursement separately - so an employee wouldn’t necessarily know whether or not their employer was a beneficiary of the scheme.

I would agree that any warranty by an employer that he wasn’t availing of the scheme when in fact he was is bordering on fraud - I wouldn’t advise it.

I do however think it’s a little sharp practise for a bank to refuse a mortgage on this point alone.

Mod
    Closed now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement