Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semple Woods. Donabate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Morini

Increasing from 252 -> 328 units, fewer houses, more apartments?

There was a recent ABP decision (http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/249206.htm) on a different development in Donabate, where the recommendation was to increase the density beyond what Fingal CoCo had approved. Its possible that having seen this, the Semple Woods developer sees an opportunity to squeeze out more money, and squeeze in more people?

One of the main justifications for this decision is the proximity to the rail station. Another recommendation was a reduction (!) in the number of car parking spaces, again due to proximity to the rail station.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Planning notice

That's under the strategic/fast track plan so it'll be up on ANP rather than Fingal if I understand it correctly. Cheers for the info!

Should be here when it's updated with a link to website with the planning documents: http://www.pleanala.ie/shd/applications/index.htm

Can't see it up yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brendan Malarkey

That's under the strategic/fast track plan so it'll be up on ANP rather than Fingal if I understand it correctly. Cheers for the info!

Should be here when it's updated with a link to website with the planning documents:
    Can't see it up yet though.

Basically they are replacing all the houses in phase two with apartments and increasing the number of units by 77.

This is what the planning application says:

"The proposed amendments result in an increase in the number of permitted units from 251 to 328 (an increase of 77 no. units).

The proposed amendments include the replacement of 35 no. permitted house units and 62 no. permitted apartment units in apartment blocks 1, 2 and 3, with 174 no. apartments with balconies (67 no. one bed units, 87 no. two bed units and 20 no. three bed units) in 5 no. apartment blocks."

All planning documents are available to view on the donabateshd website.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Morini wrote: »
    Increasing from 252 -> 328 units, fewer houses, more apartments?

There was a recent ABP decision (http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/249206.htm) on a different development in Donabate, where the recommendation was to increase the density beyond what Fingal CoCo had approved. Its possible that having seen this, the Semple Woods developer sees an opportunity to squeeze out more money, and squeeze in more people?

One of the main justifications for this decision is the proximity to the rail station. Another recommendation was a reduction (!) in the number of car parking spaces, again due to proximity to the rail station.

Council have been approaching and striking deals with REITS to lease as many properties as they can buy for 25 years guaranteed. So REITS are then going to builders and buying in bulk. Houses but preferably apartments.
    Council encouraging builders to apply for higher density with more apartments with the promise of easy approval.

Council tells builders to apply for more density and more apartments.
    Council grants permission.
    Council gets REITS to buy on promise of guaranteed rental by council for 25 years.
    Its a big circle jerk.

And Donabate is ground zero. Balbriggan too. No doubt it will spread further afield.

That planning will be granted at semple and then they will all or at least the vast majority in the end be council houses but owned by a REIT with the tax payer footing the bill and regular buyers pushed out of the market.
    And these estates will be easily 75% council houses and apartments by the end of this process.

That is the new strategy for housing. I have been told by a close relative actually working on the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Unless a solution is found to increasing capacity on the already over-crowded Northern Commuter Line (something CIE are saying can't be done without major works in Connolly), this is a disaster waiting to happen. Sure, Semple Woods is close to the train station but that's not much use to residents if they can't use the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

"Glenveagh Homes Ltd’s application to replace 35 houses and 62 apartments with a higher-density alternative was rejected – despite the advice of the board’s own inspector."

Have you guys heard something related to this news? Have I understood it correctly?

This sounds good news as I'm buying a house in Semple Woods and did not like the fact they were changing houses for apartments as it would make the village overcrowded.

PS. I can't post the news link as I am a new user. Howerver if you google it there will be a site called dublingazette.

"Glenveagh Homes Ltd’s application to replace 35 houses and 62 apartments with a higher-density alternative was rejected – despite the advice of the board’s own inspector."

Have you guys heard something related to this news? Have I understood it correctly?

This sounds good news as I'm buying a house in Semple Woods and did not like the fact they were changing houses for apartments as it would make the village overcrowded.

PS. I can't post the news link as I am a new user. Howerver if you google it there will be a site called dublingazette.

The developer has two options. They can build as per their original planning permission or resubmit a fresh application which somehow addresses the reasons for the refusal on the recent one.

Personally I think they’ll resubmit a fresh application because if it’s granted, they’ll sell whatever is built to the REIT who has bought a lot of the development already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kingfisher_

Semple Woods lacks safe pedestrian access to Donabate town and rail station. The current footpath between Donabate town and Semple Woods ends abruptly by the filling station. Residents are forced to walk on the main road. Hearse road is very narrow and speeds limit is 80km per hour.

Public statement from Corina Johnston about this mater is below.

"Serious safety concerns must be urgently addressed - Johnston:

Corina Johnston Labour Party Local Area Representative for Donabate and Portrane is calling on Fingal County Council and Glenveagh Properties to urgently address serious safety concerns arising from breaches of planning conditions associated with the Semple Woods Development on the Hearse Road.

Johnston said “The Donabate Local Area Plan states that prior to any units being sold or occupied in the Corballis West Development a continuous footpath connecting the Hearse Road development to the village shall be provided. Despite residents moving into the development in recent weeks the continuous footpath and toucan crossing, which also forms part of the planning permission, has not been completed.

Residents are obliged to walk to and from the village and the train station without the footpath and toucan crossing. This is a serious safety issue and is totally unacceptable. Residents are extremely concerned for their safety when walking along this road and demand action by the council. The safety of residents must be a priority.”

Johnston said “Fingal County Council have informed me that there is an on-going planning enforcement case on this matter and a Warning Letter has been issued to the owner of the lands. This is totally inadequate. Fingal County Council must now instruct the developer to commence these works immediately to ensure the safety of residents in accordance with the planning conditions. This work should be carried out during the night as the Hearse Road is currently closed at night to facilitate other infrastructural works. This is an ideal opportunity for the developer to complete these works with minimal disruption to the wider community”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Council have been approaching and striking deals with REITS to lease as many properties as they can buy for 25 years guaranteed. So REITS are then going to builders and buying in bulk. Houses but preferably apartments.
    Council encouraging builders to apply for higher density with more apartments with the promise of easy approval.

Council tells builders to apply for more density and more apartments.
    Council grants permission.
    Council gets REITS to buy on promise of guaranteed rental by council for 25 years.
    Its a big circle jerk.

And Donabate is ground zero. Balbriggan too. No doubt it will spread further afield.

That planning will be granted at semple and then they will all or at least the vast majority in the end be council houses but owned by a REIT with the tax payer footing the bill and regular buyers pushed out of the market.
    And these estates will be easily 75% council houses and apartments by the end of this process.

That is the new strategy for housing. I have been told by a close relative actually working on the project.

Your prediction is 75% social housing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Your prediction is 75% social housing?

Really like this estate and thinking of buying here as just got a job in Dublin city centre. However very worried about this. Surely this is not allowed.

Really like this estate and thinking of buying here as just got a job in Dublin city centre. However very worried about this. Surely this is not allowed.

People are funny sometimes. The previous poster would have us believe there is an elaborate plot by the government to sabotage our dreams by tricking us into buying houses in the new Darndale. Seems a bit far fetched to me.

Internet people can be very negative and, safe from scrutiny, can say the most outlandish things.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I have posted about this before, in another Glenveagh development thread. We bought in one and sold within a year. The number of social houses was staggering. Fine in majority of cases but we got unlucky with travelers next door to us. Didn’t take long before a few undesirable behaviors occurred and we said enough is enough. Buyer be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paphos

Hi everyone. Has anyone here moved into Semple Woods yet and knows what it’s like to live in? My partner and I are thinking of buying here and would really appreciate any feedback/guidance. I know that a great deal of the houses are being rented by Ires Reit. Are there any issues at all with the estate so far? Thanks.

Paphos wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Has anyone here moved into Semple Woods yet and knows what it’s like to live in? My partner and I are thinking of buying here and would really appreciate any feedback/guidance. I know that a great deal of the houses are being rented by Ires Reit. Are there any issues at all with the estate so far? Thanks.

Hi. I was thinking of buying here last year and contacted the residents association on Facebook. I asked about social housing etc and they said there are no issues this far. All good in the hood.

Great location and once the Greenway is built Donabate will be fab

Thanks for the quick reply bilbot, that's very useful. There's a lot of positives about the area despite all the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Brego888

We moved in last September and haven't regretted it. All our close neighbours are young professionals and many with young families. But people generally keep to themselves and the place is quiet which is great. We love the location, close to the train, right next door to Newbridge and walkable to the beach. Donabate could do with some infrastructure development though.

IRES bought about 40 units out of a 300 odd unit site so not a great deal at all. Again they all seem like young professionals with families so haven't had any issues. There is always scaremongering when there is any mention of REIT or social housing. Do your research and make your own judgements.

The biggest problem has been the main road outside the development, lack of safe crossing, poor visibility when turning in etc. That is finally being addressed in next couple of weeks.

Thanks very much Brego. I'll admit that my concern was about the REIT-rented housing. It doesn't bother me that tenants are renting in the estate (we've been renting for years - many people don't really have a choice) or even that there's an allocation of social housing (I think 10% is reasonable in new estates). I was more concerned that the REIT-rented houses might become de facto social housing if let largely to HAP recipients, pushing the percentage a good deal upwards.

I agree with all your points. I think I enjoy Newbridge more than the beach, and its great to have the facility so close. The Greenway to Malahide should also be amazing once constructed. The road leading to the estate surprised me too but I'm glad to hear the obvious issues are being addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Can I ask anyone living here what the traffic is usually like to get onto m1 on a normal workday (pre Covid times)? Thinking of buying here, work Lucan direction and trying to get a realistic gauge of commute. Houses look lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

from Maxol to the M1 would be about 5 minutes or less on a regular day.

Traffic on the M1 is a lottery.

• Advertisement

Thanks that’s really helpful! Debating between here and Beresford so will go out have a look this weekend
    cloneslad wrote: »
    from Maxol to the M1 would be about 5 minutes or less on a regular day.

Traffic on the M1 is a lottery.

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Thanks that’s really helpful! Debating between here and Beresford so will go out have a look this weekend
    Can I ask what the prices are in Beresford?

They’re similar to Semple woods from memory, I think 3 bed is 390k and 4bed 440k but prices should be in hora constructions website!
    Can I ask what the prices are in Beresford?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jalikhata

Hi, I was planning to book one of the houses in semple woods, donabate. I really loved the houses and surroundings nearby. It seems its really a nice place to live by.
    But i checked their site plan and found railway track in near the new development houses, does anyone know if the sounds are really bad or something?

jalikhata wrote: »
    Hi, I was planning to book one of the houses in semple woods, donabate. I really loved the houses and surroundings nearby. It seems its really a nice place to live by.
    But i checked their site plan and found railway track in near the new development houses, does anyone know if the sounds are really bad or something?

Hi Jalikhata,

I was near that edge of the estate and did find the train quite load. I live in another part of the estate though and don’t hear it at all, so I guess it depends on where your house would be. It would probably be a good idea to visit the estate, take a look at the new construction and where your house would be and wait for a passing train just so that you know for sure.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jalikhata

Hi Jalikhata,

I was near that edge of the estate and did find the train quite load. I live in another part of the estate though and don’t hear it at all, so I guess it depends on where your house would be. It would probably be a good idea to visit the estate, take a look at the new construction and where your house would be and wait for a passing train just so that you know for sure.

Best of luck.

Hi, thanks for reply. I was there today at the evening. I stayed outside for few minutes and it was too loud. Wondering what it sounds like from inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seb102

Hi, thanks for reply. I was there today at the evening. I stayed outside for few minutes and it was too loud. Wondering what it sounds like from inside?

We moved here a couple of months ago and live close to the railway (not right next to it, about 50 metres away) and the noise is fine. You hear the trains, but it's not too loud, doesn't bother us at all.

The area is great, really looking forward to the greenway.

Surely a house that insulated for heat will also insulate for sound

• Registered Users Posts: 26 reactadabtc

Does anyone know the prices of the 3 beds in here? I'm interested in buying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement