Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals are here for us to kill, eat..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

"Vegans are wrong"

Change my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fergus1001 wrote: »
    "Vegans are wrong"

Change my mind

Ah now we already had that on another thread ... ;)

33iyl6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭jackboy

Blaizes wrote: »
    We don’t or at least didn’t educate children ( from primary school level upwards ) enough about the eco system and wildlife. How many kids could name ten or fifteen birds or name wildlife particular to Ireland? Few I’d say.

Probably less than 10% children could identify more than 10 native Irish birds. How are these children expected to protect wildlife or the environment in the future. When it comes down to it, they won’t.

The saddest thing is that most young children are interested in learning about wildlife, if only they had someone to take them outside and show them. It’s not an urban vs rural thing either. I know many farmers that have no interest or respect for nature, who teach their children nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So Coillte released pine marten beside me, they eat pheasants, which are game, which people release for shooting, should they be vermin?

Deer beside me eat grass, should they be defined as vermin? How dare they eat grass like.

What about all our native predatory birds that are seemingly a threat to livestock, should they be classed as vermin? Why are they protected?

A game species such as salmon, dolphins and seals eat them. Should they be vermin? They eat our game species such as salmon. How dare they!!! Also, our native and protected otter eats our salmon and trout, should we cull them? If it suits us, like, why not..

What an amazing job we have done at culling badgers by the way, we are really winning that war on TB ��

So how do we class what is vermin and what is not?
    Seems the class is very suited to our own selfish agenda to justify needless killing, maybe you can enlighten me though!

That would class them as vermin. It costs about 12c/kg to grow grass and a mature deer could eat up to 10kg grass/day. Now, that eaten grass has to be replaced with purchase feed at approx 30c/kg so that will have to be paid for as well.

When you have your own grass, you can do what you wish with it but my grass is there for my stock. If you want deer eating my grass then pay the replacement cost of that grass.

jackboy wrote: »
    Probably less than 10% children could identify more than 10 native Irish birds. How are these children expected to protect wildlife or the environment in the future. When it comes down to it, they won’t.

The saddest thing is that most young children are interested in learning about wildlife, if only they had someone to take them outside and show them. It’s not an urban vs rural thing either.
    I know many farmers that have no interest or respect for nature, who teach their children nothing.

I wouldn't agree there tbh. Of the kids from farming families I know most would have an interest in wildlife. When you grow up surrounded by fields and trees - it's hard not to absorb and be interested in those things. The kids may not be experts but the ones I know could tell you more about trees, vegetation and the more common wild animals compared to some of their counterparths in urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's a food chain respect it. Vegans are the by product of an increasingly whingey and PC society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭jackboy

gozunda wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree there tbh. Of the kids from farming families I know most would have an interest in wildlife. When you grow up surrounded by fields and trees - it's hard not to absorb and be interested in those things. The kids may not be experts but the ones I know could tell you more about trees, vegetation and the more common wild animals compared to some of their counterparths in urban areas.

As far as I can see it is more related to the size of the farm. The bigger farms are little more than green deserts where every last square meter is utilized. The smaller farms operated by part time or hobby farmers are more of a haven for wildlife. Hard to blame the big farmers though, most of them are very busy trying to keep the business going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nah half my family are farmers and all they care about are tractors and the milk quota

jackboy wrote: »
    As far as I can see it is more related to the size of the farm. The bigger farms are little more than green deserts where every last square meter is utilized. The smaller farms operated by part time or hobby farmers are more of a haven for wildlife. Hard to blame the big farmers though, most of them are very busy trying to keep the business going.

That's because if there is any encroachment into the fields by hedges or any covers of non agricultural species in any fields, the farmers are fined for allowing that natural cover to grow.

But get this! They will allow you to grow artificial 'natural' covers and pay you for them but only on designated areas.

You couldn't make this stuff up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

rob316 wrote: »
    There's a food chain respect it. Vegans are the by product of an increasingly whingey and PC society.

This x 1000.

It's like Chris Rock said ...... We've so much fcukin food on the planet,people can choose what to be ' allergic ' to :pac:

I'll bet nobody in Sierra Leone is lactose intolerant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

After 5 days and 26 pages of replies I'm sure the OP has had some questions answered by now. Even though much of it has not been addressed and we'll ignore the contradiction in it, does the OP care to share her current knowledge as to why people think 'animals' have feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Uncharted wrote: »
    It's like Chris Rock said ...... We've so much fcukin food on the planet,people can choose what to be ' allergic ' to :pac:

That's due to the western world producing far more food than it needs. Plenty of those chickens that have a crap life before there death end up in the bin anyway.

Nah half my family are farmers and all they care about are tractors and the milk quota

All the kids care about 'milk quotas'? Really never knew that. You do knew that the old quota system is gone yeah? I think you might be imagining things there tbh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You can’t 100% guarantee anything.

By claiming you can you’re sounding like one of those Americans you’re talking about.

‘I won’t shoot unless it’s going to die on the spot’

Nostradamus is it ?

‘And they always drop’

John Rambo is it ?

I can guarantee it. I’ve been shooting since childhood. I learned from my mistakes at a young age and was brought up proper in hunting. I won’t shoot unless it’s safe and guarantee to be a kill shot.
    Now if you can’t understand that then that’s your problem not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Seanachai

That's because if there is any encroachment into the fields by hedges or any covers of non agricultural species in any fields, the farmers are fined for allowing that natural cover to grow.

But get this! They will allow you to grow artificial 'natural' covers and pay you for them but only on designated areas.

You couldn't make this stuff up:rolleyes:

Is this EU regulations?

Seanachai wrote: »
    Is this EU regulations?

Yeah, or at least, the Irish interpretation of those regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

n97 mini wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread, but I find it ironic that many vegans own cats as pets. Cats are obligate carnivores and cannot survive on a meat free diet (ideally their diet is 100% meat).

Realistically vegans should be also campaigning for the end of cats.

why ironic? I am not vegan but . I had a discussion with a sweet vegan lady at the cat food shelves; we love our cats and they are not vegan etc. So they get what they need; period, as our love for them means we care for them.

Nothing ironic and why should vegans campaign like that? They may speak against animals as pets but not to end them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

There's a food chain respect it.

I very much hope you do. By buying ethically sourced meat. Chances are you're just another low IQ hot chicken roll guzzler. Probably estrogen dominant from all the hormones and antibiotics in the factory farmed meat you consume.

I very much hope you do. By buying ethically sourced meat. Chances are you're just another low IQ hot chicken roll guzzler. Probably estrogen dominant from all the hormones and antibiotics in the factory farmed meat you consume.

You do know that hormones have been banned for many years here yeah and antibiotic use in animal husbandry is strictly regulated and used for medical purposes only when required?

But hey more bs - what new?

To parody that - 'probably growing man boobs and getting dementia from all that soya crap that you eat' or something ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I love triggered vegans. Nothing makes me smile more, thanks for making my day :) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just to probe that line of thinking for the fun of it. Could Human Slavery be justified - or at least made less unjustifiable - if the slaves in question were bred under the right conditions?

To use your words as much as possible to word this: If they were bred entirely in captivity - exclusively for the slave industry - and as products - then by the reasoning you offer above they are products and not "wild sentient" and free. So it would be ok? Or at least not as bad? For them to be slaves.

Not sure this line of reasoning works for me. Their level of rights and freedoms should be based on who/what they are - not their pedigree, lineage, or breeding conditions.

Rights and Freedoms are man made concepts to keep the proletariat in their place and stop then from killing each other. It does not apply to animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

You do know that hormones have been banned for many years here yeah and antibiotic use in animal husbandry is strictly regulated and used for medical purposes only when required?

I'm not a vegan. And I see you didn't address my point about ethics. That doesn't surprise me, because most of the reactionary anti-vegan cretins on this site and elsewhere are just shallow losers without the moral courage or discipline to find or eat ethically farmed meat. Get back to your half eaten three euro spicy chicken roll with bacon fat boy.

Also, I've worked in a meat packing plant and been involved in animal slaughter, whilst let's face it, your formative life experiences consist of repeated trips to the deli counter in your local Supervalu.

I'm laughing at the idea you think you even know where your meat is coming from. :rolleyes:

I'm not a vegan. And I see you didn't address my point about ethics. That doesn't surprise me, because most of the reactionary anti-vegan cretins on this site and elsewhere are just shallow losers without the moral courage or discipline to find or eat ethically farmed meat. Get back to your half eaten three euro spicy chicken roll with bacon fat boy .Also, I've worked in a meat packing plant and been involved in animal slaughter, whilst let's face it, your formative life experiences consist of repeated trips to the deli counter in your local Supervalu. I'm laughing at the idea you think you even know where your meat is coming from. :rolleyes:

Didnt say you were - the soya thing was a parody of your last comment btw. Dont give a donkies about your take on 'ethics' or otherwise considering the crap written about 'hormones' etc

But no I dont like misinformation. Anyway always love the a small number of plant advocates that get all personal and throw ad-hominmens around like they dont have a decent argument to offer. But yes indeed - I am involved with food production, and I know where exactly where my meat is coming from - so I can spot crap like the often repeat bull****e about "hormones and antibiotics" repeated like diarrhoea. Same **** - different thread.

But hey what's new lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jim o doom wrote: »
    I love triggered vegans. Nothing makes me smile more, thanks for making my day :) :pac:

All these threads are started by non vegans who feel insecure about the very existence of vegans for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All these threads are started by non vegans who feel insecure about the very existence of vegans for some reason

Oh so true!.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I can guarantee it. I’ve been shooting since childhood. I learned from my mistakes at a young age and was brought up proper in hunting. I won’t shoot unless it’s safe and guarantee to be a kill shot.

The Irish Olympic Shooting team doesn't know what its missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The first rule of being a vegan, is letting everyone know your a vegan.

Each to their own I say.

The second rule is treat all animals as if they are human. If a cat kills a mouse he should be arrested for murder in their deluded minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm pretty sure 30% or so of India is vegetarian. The planet would be a better place if we all ate less meat. The seas are almost out of fish too.

Did you ever hear of fishing quotas that have been around for years they were brought in to prevent over dissing and there are still plenty fish in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of fishing quotas that have been around for years they were brought in to prevent over dissing and there are still plenty fish in the sea.

Yeah the quotas aren't strict enough

• Advertisement

• I can guarantee it. I’ve been shooting since childhood. I learned from my mistakes at a young age and was brought up proper in hunting. I won’t shoot unless it’s safe and guarantee to be a kill shot.

If I can’t understand you’re some sort of fictional robotic character capable of the above ?

Well I’m afraid I don’t believe that.

And if you’re human then I also don’t believe the above.

Advertisement