Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL Advanced entry

Options
  • 21-06-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've applied for advanced entry into year 3 for mechanical engineering. I'm a bit worried though as I really do want to get in. My overall average for second year at the WIT was 84 overall with a few 90s here and there, so I was just hoping anyone here might have any info that might ease the anxiety a bit about this whole thing. Or if anyone here applied for advanced entry into anything this year too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Adham11 wrote: »
    I've applied for advanced entry into year 3 for mechanical engineering. I'm a bit worried though as I really do want to get in. My overall average for second year at the WIT was 84 overall with a few 90s here and there, so I was just hoping anyone here might have any info that might ease the anxiety a bit about this whole thing. Or if anyone here applied for advanced entry into anything this year too

I have no idea if you'll get in or not, but just keep in mind that the 3rd year mechanical engineers will be on co-op placement from June of 2nd year, and all throughout the first semester of 3rd year. They only come back to college Semester 2 of third year. You might want to find out whether or not you have to complete co op as well, or just start when the rest are back in semester 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Adham11

Yeah I had a quick chat with the guy that manages the co-op and he said that I wouldnt have to do it altogether, would just get on with the modules that I haven't done at WIT and then pick up like the rest in the second semester if I get in. Was just wondering too if theres a good number of places available if any? Still haven't understood the way the system works in Ireland really, got into WIT through advanced entry as well before being in an american university abroad.Thanks for the info though!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Hi Adham11, I've just finished the Mech. Deg in UL. I entered into year 2 after some years working, I also know some guys who joined in year 3, like yourself, from IT's. You'll do most Semester 3 (1st semester of 2nd year) modules with second year students, Thermo 1, Solids 1, Applied Mechanics, CAD, you'll also do a transfer maths module giving to the 3rd year transfer students, its grand, takes you through calculus, bit of differential equations, some Laplace if theres time. Then after xmas you'll join the 3rd years when they return from coop. Then you'll do, Maths6 (Vector calculus, PDE's) its also the last pure math module youll do, Finite Element Analysis, Thermo 2, Solids 2, Heat Transfer.

Any transfer I met found the first semester easy and did very well, easily getting some A's as they had done most of the subjects, but be careful in the second semester as the two semesters you do as a transfer wont have equal weighting, your second semester will have a higher weighting. 60-40 i think, but you should ask to be sure.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Adham11

Never had any idea there was a well established route for this, thanks a lot!

Advertisement