Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gastric Banding anyone? Mod Note: No Clinic Names

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi shellita, apologies for the inconvenience. It's just a pity that the user in question wasn't more honest about what they were doing. It's a very underhanded and insidious way of touting for business.

That said, best of luck with whatever decisions you take. There has been plenty of advice and support on this thread and that is always great. I just wish that slim4life had been more open about his affiliations and disclosed them.

Also, instead of feeling used, turn that around and feel positive about the fact that you did get a lot of information from this thread and that there is still support here. That's a great positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

r3nu4l wrote: »
    you did get a lot of information from this thread and that there is still support here. That's a great positive :)

Hi R3, yes I am very grateful for the genuine people on this thread.
    I have had problems with my band and it was nice to know Im not the only one.

Also good to know you are checking people out too, good work there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I just wish that slim4life had been more open about his affiliations and disclosed them.

This is very distressing for me. I've already had a consultation with the clinic slim4life recommended and where he stated that he had band done. I was happy with the meeting etc. Upto this afternoon I have been in contact with the clinic and was about to pay my deposit. Now I don't know what is true and what is false and I'm left wondering what to do.

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    This is very distressing for me. I've already had a consultation with the clinic slim4life recommended and where he stated that he had band done. I was happy with the meeting etc. Upto this afternoon I have been in contact with the clinic and was about to pay my deposit. Now I don't know what is true and what is false and I'm left wondering what to do.
    :mad:

Hi Wilde, I'm really sorry to hear that. :(
    I don't know what clinic is best so maybe have a few consultations. From my own experience I would recommend you get it done in Ireland whichever clinic you go with as if there are complications it is much easier.
    Also try to get 2 years aftercare instead of 1 as that will make a huge difference.

Wish you all the best xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 leelaloui

Hey everyone i have been following this thread for a while im just wondering how long does it take to be seen in hse louglians town from when gp sends letter and if anyone has any info on going to Belgium could u please pm me it seems to be the other only option i can afford as 10,000 for Ireland not gonna happen unless i win the lotto :)

• Advertisement

i too contacted the clinic that slim4life recommended now i don't know is it a bit dodgy seen as they have been banned :(

leelaloui wrote: »
    i too contacted the clinic that slim4life recommended now i don't know is it a bit dodgy seen as they have been banned :(

The clinic is in no way dodgy. I have been in contact with them today and am happy with the service they are giving me. The surgeon who performs the banding is renowned and has done 1000's of procedures. You will find him listed as working with several clinics both here and the UK.

ok thank you so much its frustrating trying to find the right deal :)

leelaloui wrote: »
    ok thank you so much its frustrating trying to find the right deal :)

No problem. One thing I've learned is that whatever someone says on Boards.ie is their opinion and does not necessarily represent the truth. All we can hope to do is ask the right questions and make a judgement call based on the answers. Each of our perspectives are coloured by our experiences and expectations.

I have done a lot of research on banding and the only thing I know is that I want to get it done in Ireland and the most important thing from my perspective is the aftercare. I have asked about fills/defiles, emergencies, diet, exercise, support. I also wanted to know what happens after the one year aftercare programme ends.

yes i have done alot of research on the band and sleeve and i think the sleeve is more suited to me although not many options for this surgery in ireland my own gp thankfully has been very supportive of my decision and said he will contact the clinc i decide on with some questions its a good point you made there about what happens when the aftercare is finshed i will bear that in mind goodluck with your journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bronabiddy

Hi does anyone who has had a gastric banding procedure done recently or a while ago have any helpful information for me about their decision. And also could anyone give me an idea of pricing, as I would rather find out how much I need before I travel for a consultation. Thanks in advance guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi bronabiddy, I've merged your thread with the existing one on gastric banding. however please note we don't allow people to me tion clinic names as we were having huge problems with spam/shilling in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bronabiddy

Thats fine thanks, if anyone wants to mention names they can pm me, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flabulous

Bronabiddy wrote: »
    Hi does anyone who has had a gastric banding procedure done recently or a while ago have any helpful information for me about their decision. And also could anyone give me an idea of pricing, as I would rather find out how much I need before I travel for a consultation. Thanks in advance guys.

Hi Brona.
    New to this so bear with me :) I'm having my band fitted on Monday week 19th November. You can pm me for info if you like :) On here looking for a band buddy. Seems to be millions in America and the UK but can't find any here til I found the boards here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cschear87

Hi,
    First post so bare with me. I'm super morbidly obese and after years of dieting and trying to exercise, I'm interested in bariatric surgery. I've been told medical card covers this after a LONG waiting list in Dublin but I wanted to find out if you get the option of bypass/band and what others' experiences have been with each. If given the option, I'm leaning towards bypass but want as much info as possible. FYI, already on waiting list for L.Town and I hope to have no snarky comments about just going for a walk and not eating chocolate. I'm a bit tired of those responses. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
    cschear87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi -

For the new guys on the thread - welcome to boards, and I hope you get a lot of help during your time here. I hate to have to do this, and I want you all to know that I'm sure you're all 100% genuine, but I just want to remind posters that we do frequently get posters on this thread who actually work for clinics. Please be careful what personal information you share with other users, especially over PM. If you've any questions or doubts, do feel free to contact any one of the mods - it's why we are here.

thanks,
    Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bustybandit

hi everyone, this is the first time ive ever posted on a forum so please excuse any mistakes. I am booked into have a gastric band in dublin on feb 10 and im starting to get very nervous. ive a bmi of 35 but have 5 stone to lose...three from before i had the baby and now an extra 2 for good measure.

I'm just wondering has anybody had the experience of becoming pregnant while having a gastric band in place?? i have plans for another baby in the next 2 or 3 years and im worried about potential risks...if i keep going the way im going i would be a high risk pregnancy, my glucose levels and cholestrol is up.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

H Busty Bandit, I too are booked for Gastric Band on the 10th Feb in Auralia?? maybe we could be getting it done together. My husband and family all back my decision as I have battled with weight issue all my life, my BMI is 36 but after 3 children and giving up the smokes a year ago it is just creeping up!! I really want to get control over my weight issues and feel that this procedure will really suit me. To be honest I am getting a bit nervous now but really looking forward to the change of life. Good luck with yours on the 10th !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Little Miss Roundy

Hi Busty Bandit, I too am booked in for Gastric Band on the 10th Feb in Auralia, maybe we might be together??? I have had 3 children and dont plan for any more but my co-ordinator has re-assured me that a pregnancy with the band is very safe, he did say that it would be best not to get pregnant during the first year as this is when you loose the majority of your weight. Im sure you will be fine ;-) Are u getting nervous?? I am, but really looking forward to it and to gaining control over my weight issues. I have currently a BMI of 36 and have always carried weight but after having 3 children and giving up smoking it seems to be gradually creeping up all the time.

Best of luck with everything if I dont hear back from ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bustybandit

hi thanks for the reply i sent you a pm ok

• Advertisement

convincing you that you have had a band fitted & can lose weight without surgery.

I had hypnosis done to make me think I had a band (even though I have one in real life)
    as it can help you eat more healthy and exercise more.

Unfortunately other than falling asleep in the session it made no difference to me, other than sometimes I take the stairs

I know a few people who had it and it made no difference to them either. (it was on one of those deal sites so a load of people tried it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Hidy ho. I didn't want to start my own thread considering this one was already in existence but after suffering with my weight for years, yo-yo dieting and struggling to get up and down stairs, I've reached the end of my tedder. I've got a BMI of 40.2 and am currently suffering from what my doctors believe could be gastric reflux asthma brought on by my obesity. I was in Beaumount for a related issue and my mother mentioned the option of having bariatric surgery to help me get down to a normal weight. My doctor said it's a good option as I've exhuasted every avenue. I've posted before in other forums about my ongoing struggle with my weight and it's been a frustrating nightmare.
    The most I've lost off the bat between Motivation, Slimming World, Weightwatches, Unislim and all the fad/crash diets over the years have been around the 2 stone mark but I'm a long way off from a normal weight and I've been doing some research into getting either a band or a bypass.
    What I would like to know is this:

What criteria do I need to satisfy to get the procedure done on a medical card basis?
    What is the average waiting list times for surgery?

I'm pushing more for the bypass route as I'm worried about the band being too tight or slipping. I want a permanent solution to this problem.
    I'm 10 stone over what I should be for my size and stature and I'm suffering major bouts of depression over the fact that I utterly hate my body. I have no self confidence, feel frumpy in everything I wear and generally feel like I'm kidding myself when I make attempts to doll myself up.
    Went to my cousin's 21st on Thursday and when I looked at the photographs the next day, I cringed. I looked HUGE compared to the other girls. I don't want to live up to an impossible standard set by society, though. I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin and not have to worry about my health so much.
    My mother supports me in this endeavor and has even suggested going to Belgium or Brussels to get the operation done for cheaper.
    I'm skeptical of this as I've heard horror stories of people contracting infections and complications when going outside Ireland for the sake of saving a few euro. If anyone has any experience in going outside Ireland, please let me know via PM as I'm curious to hear about it.

Lastly, as another poster said, please don't scoff and tell me I need to be disiplined and lay off the chocolate.
    I've tried EVERYTHING to shift the weight but it just keeps on creeping back up. So far I've managed to maintain my 3 stone weightloss since leaving Motivation last year but but weight is still there and I'm really trying to do everything I can to shift it.
    This operation is a last resort and I'd really appreciate any information you lovely folk can give me.

Fair play to the rest of you and good luck to those going under the knife.

-Chubbs-

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Little Miss Roundy

Hey Chubbs,

I think we all understand how you are feeling at the mo. I had my lap band done on feb 10th, before this I was feeling so miserable , but now so far so good have lost just about 2 stone and have had no regrets yet, am feeling a lot more confident and know that the future is bright. I did feel that the weight lose to date would be quicker but have been assured that I am on target.
    I def feel that this was the right decision for me, there are some sacrafices to be made RE: food types but in fairness these are all good and it does take time to get used to what you can eat and how much. I feel that it is only now that I am used to it! I hope to lose around 4.5stone in the first year (fingers crossed). I cant comment on the gastric bypass but would def give the thumbs up to the lap band. The procedure itself was very minimal and I was back to work on day 5 with no probs. I cant comment on the criteria for the medical card but Im sure if you rang some companies they will be happy to assist you. I decided to have the op done here in Ireland for one reason only and that was for the aftercare. I did need to get some saline taken out after my second fill and there was no problem in doing so but if I had the surgery abroad this would have been a nightmare!
    Don t be a stranger if you have any other questions or queries dont be shy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

Hi any first hand advice on gastric sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Janet Sligo

Hi folks,

I can't find any more recent threads on boards regarding gastric band/lap band surgery.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm scheduled for surgery on Saturday week so would love to chat to someone about it.

Thank you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hi folks,

I can't find any more recent threads on boards regarding gastric band/lap band surgery.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I'm scheduled for surgery on Saturday week so would love to chat to someone about it.

Thank you!
    Best of luck hope it works out for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joefromireland

Dr. Davis is a bariatric surgeon who runs The Davis Clinic for Surgical and Medical Weight Loss. He is the medical director for weight loss surgery at Memorial Hermann Memorial City Hospital and an assistant professor of surgery at The University of Texas Health Science Center. He was featured in TLC’s docu-series “Big Medicine’, and is the author of “The Expert’s Guide To Weight Loss Surgery.” Most recently he has combined his many years of experience working with people trying to lose weight, with his extensive research into diet, to write “Proteinaholic”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zeldacheens

Hi JanetSligo,

Are you still posting on this thread or did you move to another thread? After struggling with my weight for 17 years I was definitely opting for bariatric surgery. After much research it seems that a gastric sleeve would be more suitable for me but there is so little information out there if you want the operation done in Ireland. I would be interested to know if you had any procedure done and if so how you got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maggie g

Hi, did you have the surgery? How did it go? I am just home after a consultation in Auralia clinic in Dublin. But I'm getting the lap Band in September, nervous but excited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maggie g wrote: »
    Hi, did you have the surgery? How did it go? I am just home after a consultation in Auralia clinic in Dublin. But I'm getting the lap Band in September, nervous but excited

I'm booked in to the sane clinic for 23rd September. Excited but nervous, never had any kind of surgery before!

Advertisement