Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax Return Ireland

• 28-10-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

I've received a letter back in Ireland regarding un submitted tax returns for 2012 & 2013 from a solicitor. I haven't been a resident in Ireland since September 2009.

I have, in the past tried on numerous occasions to submit tax returns online but have never succeeded in obtaining my digital certificate (the revenue website will not successfully send through my digital cert for me to continue). Then I slowly forget about it until I get a reminder the next year etc and try all over again. I have emailed them regarding this and always get generic repsonses. Working in rural Australia doesn't afford me much opportunity to call them with time differences. It seems they have upped the stakes and it's become more serious.
    My family are going to see a tax accountant on my behalf to sort it out. Just wondering if anybody else has had similar issues with Revenue and gettign tax returns submitted.

"Dear Sir,

I have been instructed by the Revenue Commisioner to institiute a criminal prosecution against you, in the name of the Director of Public Prosecution, for your failure to comply with the provisions of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997, requiring the delivery by you of an income tax return.

Unless the return/s for year/s

31st-Dec-2012, 31st-Dec-2013

satisfactorily completed, is/are lodged with:-

Your Inspector of Taxes, within twenty one days of the date of this letter a summons will be issued against you in respect of each outstanding return. On conviction, you may be liable to a fine on each summons, to a term of imprisonment, or both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the judge.

Enquiries may be made to the Inspector by phoning 01-XXXXXXX or 01 XXXXXXX

Yours faithfully,

Revenue Solicator

Tel+ 353 1 XXXXXXX /XXXXXXX /XXXXXXX Fax +353 1 XXXXXXX"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Hi Pete, you say you have been non resident since 2009 - do you have Irish sourced income to return?

If not, you can simply send a tax cancellation notice and it will remove the obligation to submit a return.

Please take that letter seriously, speaking from someone who worked in tax, this is the final straw before a summons.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I do co own a house with my former partner which is rented out. The income from that would be at most $4500 pa for my share, less deductions. I can't see the actual bill per annum being very high.

I am taking it seriously and have emailed a tax accountant I've used previously. Just waiting to hear back with time difference. Summons and fines are the last thing I want to deal with.

Thanks for the info. Pretty much as I'd assumed.
    Legend100 wrote: »
    Hi Pete, you say you have been non resident since 2009 - do you have Irish sourced income to return?

If not, you can simply send a tax cancellation notice and it will remove the obligation to submit a return.

Please take that letter seriously, speaking from someone who worked in tax, this is the final straw before a summons.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Sorry, it's a bit of an aside, but is that a copy and paste of the actual email from the solicitors?

Advertisement