Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 year relationship ended..what to do?

• 12-03-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40 roro_utd

Last week has been one of my worst in a long long time. I'm 22 years old and my girlfriend over over 3 years broke up with me last Monday by text message of all mediums. Feeling really down at the minute although the first few days after it were much worse than they are now. I thought she was the one for me but when I think about it things were on the slide for a good while. Still hurts pretty bad though, the sickening feeling in my stomach hasn't quite gone away yet although I'm eating again now. Just looking for some any decent advice on ways to cope. I'm not overly popular with 30-40 mates like I've a small group of 7 or 8 (which I'm okay with) friends, 3 of which are in a relationship so I guess I'm just worried about the times when I'll be doing nothing like. At the end of the relationship it got to the stage where I was seeing her once a week, so in hindsight I should've known something was wrong. Anyways, what do people suggest doing like to fully get over it? Joining a gym? Also, in terms of relationships would people recommend just staying away from them for long time and trying to get casual sex? It was my first really long term relationship so not quite sure the best way to get through it. Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

roro_utd wrote: »
    Last week has been one of my worst in a long long time. I'm 22 years old and my girlfriend over over 3 years broke up with me last Monday by text message of all mediums. Feeling really down at the minute although the first few days after it were much worse than they are now. I thought she was the one for me but when I think about it things were on the slide for a good while. Still hurts pretty bad though, the sickening feeling in my stomach hasn't quite gone away yet although I'm eating again now. Just looking for some any decent advice on ways to cope. I'm not overly popular with 30-40 mates like I've a small group of 7 or 8 (which I'm okay with) friends, 3 of which are in a relationship so I guess I'm just worried about the times when I'll be doing nothing like. At the end of the relationship it got to the stage where I was seeing her once a week, so in hindsight I should've known something was wrong. Anyways, what do people suggest doing like to fully get over it? Joining a gym? Also, in terms of relationships would people recommend just staying away from them for long time and trying to get casual sex? It was my first really long term relationship so not quite sure the best way to get through it. Cheers for any advice.

Forget the trying to get casual sex bit, if there anything you dont need after a relationship is that. If anything you'll miss the intimacy that goes with it. By all means go out, meet new people, but take it easy too.

Its really hard, and Im sorry you feel so down about it. Break ups are horrible, the emptiness you feel is often overwhelming, but it does ease away. No contact is the best policy and rekindle those friendships you have, Being single is a great time to do things you havent done in a while as well. I know its hard to imagine life without her, but sometimes its good to be single and get to know yourself better, life is hard enough with the way the country is, without having the added pressure of a relationship that was sliding on it. Get in touch with your friends, get fit, healthy and be good to yourself. You will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roro_utd

Forget the trying to get casual sex bit, if there anything you dont need after a relationship is that. If anything you'll miss the intimacy that goes with it. By all means go out, meet new people, but take it easy too.

Its really hard, and Im sorry you feel so down about it. Break ups are horrible, the emptiness you feel is often overwhelming, but it does ease away. No contact is the best policy and rekindle those friendships you have, Being single is a great time to do things you havent done in a while as well. I know its hard to imagine life without her, but sometimes its good to be single and get to know yourself better, life is hard enough with the way the country is, without having the added pressure of a relationship that was sliding on it. Get in touch with your friends, get fit, healthy and be good to yourself. You will be fine

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. It sounds stupidly cheesy but it's just the simple things I'll miss most like someone to be with on a Saturday night and watch movies or just talk for hours. Yeah I've noticed the sense of emptiness has already started to disappear after a week, still don't feel great about being single, but this time last week I was much much worse. The cliche about time being the healer seems to be very true in the case of break ups, just looking for things to do to fill the void, I reckon joining a gym sounds like the best option. Yeah I've deleted her number and got rid of her from facebook, felt it was the best way to go about getting over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

A lot of people have a certain stigma about being single which I've never really understood. It's nothing to be afraid of. I've spent many years in relationships, but also had single periods between them and there's benefits to both situations.

Try and look at the positives of being single now and that will help you through this. What can you do now that you really couldn't do previously in a relationship? Any hobbies or things you want to try but never really had time or inclination? Want to go out on dates or just enjoy more casual chats/etc with women? Lads holidays? And so on.

A lot of people have a certain stigma about being single which I've never really understood. It's nothing to be afraid of. I've spent many years in relationships, but also had single periods between them and there's benefits to both situations.

Try and look at the positives of being single now and that will help you through this. What can you do now that you really couldn't do previously in a relationship? Any hobbies or things you want to try but never really had time or inclination? Want to go out on dates or just enjoy more casual chats/etc with women? Lads holidays? And so on.

Yeah true it probably is nothing to be afraid of, but it's kinda like fear of the unknown. When you've been with someone even like 3 years, the thought of being alone becomes kinda alien to you, even though deep down I know there's nothing to be worried about. Another thing that annoys me is that I know she'll get another lad (by "get" I mean something as simple as kissing them on a night out). The reason I know she'll get someone first is because well, it's the way life works, if a girl wants a lad she'll genereally find one easier, twist that around and it takes a bit of work for lads to find girls. But oh well I know I shouldn't care what she's doing, focus on myself is the way to do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The key is too keep yourself busy and occupied as much as possible so you don't think about it,dont contact her,it'll be tough for a while but time is a healer and all that and you will get over it :)

• Advertisement

The key is too keep yourself busy and occupied as much as possible so you don't think about it,dont contact her,it'll be tough for a while but time is a healer and all that and you will get over it :)

Yeah hopefully so. Like this is the second full week we've been broken up and its amazing how different i feel from the first three or four days. Can't believe the transformation like i haven't even really done anything in particular like meet other girls that would help me get over it. All i've done was deleted her from facebook...deleted her number (even tho i know it by heart :p) gone to work during the week and drank and had a laugh with friends at weekends. Haven't joined a gym or started working out more as a lot of people have suggested, altho i did consider it. I know for a fact that there's gonna be times when i'll feel crap again about it....one thing i've found helpful is anytime she comes into my mind (which is still a fair bit) i just think of all the bad things about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mike0c

As other posters have said, time will heal all wounds. You'll come out of this stronger. The part where you mention she will get with someone easier than you will, well if so, it will purely be a rebound and she will likely feel bad about it afterwards.

Hold your head up high, keep your dignity and make sure you stick to the no contact, even if she really wants to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Hi :) Just thought I'd offer my advice, seeing as I've recently been dumped myself.
    I was with my guy for just shy of two years. It was in November that he ended it. It was on Facebook chat and everything, and it was the night before my Christmas exams started (I had my Mock English Paper 1 first thing..) It was definately tough. He was my first boyfriend and I'd been with him since I was 15/16 so I wasn't really experienced in the whole break-up area..
    I was in the worst state for about a week. I had my exams all that week and I hadn't eaten or slept one bit. The crying lasted even longer and I found it hard to stop thinking about him.
    But really, things got a lot better. I'm the same as you, I have a small enough group of friends - and while I found it hard to talk about it with them, they definately helped me take my mind off things. I'm doing my Leaving Cert this year so that has taken my mind off things a bit, but like you, I always found myself thinking of him with other girls. I'd see tons of pictures of him tagged at nightclubs with his mates, while I'm the one sitting at home on a Friday night with nothing but my cat and my Maths book..But hey, I'm the one who's going to do better in my Leaving Cert than that waster :P
    Just know that you definately aren't alone in this. Don't spend your time moping because it'll just stop you from finding the love of your life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Great advice snoreborewhore and love the name :D

Great advice snoreborewhore and love the name :D
    Why thank you :)

• Advertisement

Hi :) Just thought I'd offer my advice, seeing as I've recently been dumped myself.
    I was with my guy for just shy of two years. It was in November that he ended it. It was on Facebook chat and everything, and it was the night before my Christmas exams started (I had my Mock English Paper 1 first thing..) It was definately tough. He was my first boyfriend and I'd been with him since I was 15/16 so I wasn't really experienced in the whole break-up area..
    I was in the worst state for about a week. I had my exams all that week and I hadn't eaten or slept one bit. The crying lasted even longer and I found it hard to stop thinking about him.
    But really, things got a lot better. I'm the same as you, I have a small enough group of friends - and while I found it hard to talk about it with them, they definately helped me take my mind off things. I'm doing my Leaving Cert this year so that has taken my mind off things a bit, but like you, I always found myself thinking of him with other girls. I'd see tons of pictures of him tagged at nightclubs with his mates, while I'm the one sitting at home on a Friday night with nothing but my cat and my Maths book..But hey, I'm the one who's going to do better in my Leaving Cert than that waster :P
    Just know that you definately aren't alone in this. Don't spend your time moping because it'll just stop you from finding the love of your life :)

Hi, yeah it's very tough like, especially on days like today (Sunday) where I'm doing f**k all except moping around the house because as I've said my group of friends is relatively small...some of them have girlfriends and others aren't bothered doing anything today so like I'm just stuck in at home on my own quite annoying. Yeah see I deleted and blocked her from facebook so gladly I don't have to see all these things that she's gettin tagged in. I still have her mates as friends though so i'll definetely see something that upsets me. It's just hard to move on like when someone has been pretty much the main part of your life for 3 years it's hard to fill the void like just having someone to talk to every day and stuff but oh well. Cheers for the advice. Good luck with the leaving cert, what do you wanna do in college?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great advice :-)

Hi, yeah it's very tough like, especially on days like today (Sunday) where I'm doing f**k all except moping around the house because as I've said my group of friends is relatively small...some of them have girlfriends and others aren't bothered doing anything today so like I'm just stuck in at home on my own quite annoying. Yeah see I deleted and blocked her from facebook so gladly I don't have to see all these things that she's gettin tagged in. I still have her mates as friends though so i'll definetely see something that upsets me. It's just hard to move on like when someone has been pretty much the main part of your life for 3 years it's hard to fill the void like just having someone to talk to every day and stuff but oh well. Cheers for the advice. Good luck with the leaving cert, what do you wanna do in college?
    You're welcome :) I know an 18 year old girl is probably the last person you'd want advice from, but I really do empathise. I'll admit the first couple of months were hard, being with someone for so long makes you feel so comfortable and secure, so that when they're gone you're nothing but lost. It's actually really good that you're coming onto Boards for advice, I hadn't thought of it myself back in November! Really though, don't let her consume your thoughts, obviously she was a big part of your life and it may seem like no one can compare to her, but thinking like that will only stop you from finding someone a million times better. The lonely Sundays will pass I promise, I had my fair share of those. Don't let her stop you from living your life, especially if she's the likes to break up by text -again, Facebook chat for me, I definately empathise (and what's funny is I haven't seen him since :P)
    And thanks very much! I'm hoping to study English in some form :)

Great advice :-)
    Thank you! :)

You're welcome :) I know an 18 year old girl is probably the last person you'd want advice from, but I really do empathise. I'll admit the first couple of months were hard, being with someone for so long makes you feel so comfortable and secure, so that when they're gone you're nothing but lost. It's actually really good that you're coming onto Boards for advice, I hadn't thought of it myself back in November! Really though, don't let her consume your thoughts, obviously she was a big part of your life and it may seem like no one can compare to her, but thinking like that will only stop you from finding someone a million times better. The lonely Sundays will pass I promise, I had my fair share of those. Don't let her stop you from living your life, especially if she's the likes to break up by text -again, Facebook chat for me, I definately empathise (and what's funny is I haven't seen him since :P)
    And thanks very much! I'm hoping to study English in some form :)

Ohh right English, cool :) What college are you thinking of going to? Yeah posting on this site has helped a bit like I've received a few PM's as well from people in similar situations...yet to find someone that has had their partner break up with them in such a ridiculous way, so you're bf breaking up by fb chat is fairly similar to a text message. Such a sh*t way to do it like, really annoyed me but what can I do. Yeah you're 18 but still..only 3 years younger than me so I don't mind taking advice/listening to your opinion :) it helps anyways. Yeah the lonely Sundays are dreadful, luckily I keep pretty busy during the week with work. Ah lucky you haven't seen him since, I really hope I don't see her ever again :P Yeah it's mainly the company I miss like having someone to waffle on to about everything and anything, and now I don't have that anymore. But oh well hopefully I find someone else, don't know how soon I should start looking to get in a relationship again like the fact that I miss the company suggests I should start looking right away, but hopefully I'll get used to not having her to see at the weekend and waffle to every day

Ohh right English, cool :) What college are you thinking of going to? Yeah posting on this site has helped a bit like I've received a few PM's as well from people in similar situations...yet to find someone that has had their partner break up with them in such a ridiculous way, so you're bf breaking up by fb chat is fairly similar to a text message. Such a sh*t way to do it like, really annoyed me but what can I do. Yeah you're 18 but still..only 3 years younger than me so I don't mind taking advice/listening to your opinion :) it helps anyways. Yeah the lonely Sundays are dreadful, luckily I keep pretty busy during the week with work. Ah lucky you haven't seen him since, I really hope I don't see her ever again :P Yeah it's mainly the company I miss like having someone to waffle on to about everything and anything, and now I don't have that anymore. But oh well hopefully I find someone else, don't know how soon I should start looking to get in a relationship again like the fact that I miss the company suggests I should start looking right away, but hopefully I'll get used to not having her to see at the weekend and waffle to every day
    Maynooth or Trinity hopefully :)
    Honestly, I don't think a relationship this soon is your best bet. Just take it easy and see what happens, if you meet someone in the next two weeks or so then great, but if you don't then don't let it bother you. Unless you're completely over this girl I'd recommend you just play the field a bit.
    I certainly missed the company for the first while, and still do to some degree - but really, being single has kind of helped me get to know myself a bit better. I had spent such a long time as part of a pair that I couldn't really think for myself anymore, and now I can. :)

Maynooth or Trinity hopefully :)
    Honestly, I don't think a relationship this soon is your best bet. Just take it easy and see what happens, if you meet someone in the next two weeks or so then great, but if you don't then don't let it bother you. Unless you're completely over this girl I'd recommend you just play the field a bit.
    I certainly missed the company for the first while, and still do to some degree - but really, being single has kind of helped me get to know myself a bit better. I had spent such a long time as part of a pair that I couldn't really think for myself anymore, and now I can. :)

Yeah true it probably wouldn't be a great idea diving into another relationship straight away, but that's the way my brain seems to work. After all the pain she caused by breaking up, I feel like getting with another girl and her finding out about it, will show her that I've moved on quicker than she expected. It's a childish way to think but to me it seems like the only way to move on is to get another girl and have her company so I won't be missing out on the things I mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Time will pass and you'll get over it. Go out with your friends and meet other women. Whether you want casual sex or relationships if up to you. There no hard and fast rules or rights or wrongs. It's all up to yourself. This girl broke up with you and its out of your hands now. Just move on and get on with your life. It's hard but that can't be helped. It is as it is.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. It sounds stupidly cheesy but it's just the simple things I'll miss most like someone to be with on a Saturday night and watch movies or just talk for hours. Yeah I've noticed the sense of emptiness has already started to disappear after a week, still don't feel great about being single, but this time last week I was much much worse. The cliche about time being the healer seems to be very true in the case of break ups, just looking for things to do to fill the void, I reckon joining a gym sounds like the best option. Yeah I've deleted her number and got rid of her from facebook, felt it was the best way to go about getting over it.

you done the right thing and how ever tempted you may be, dont look at her page. you will do yourself no favours.

if there is any reason to avoid social networking its when you suffer a bad breakup. you need a full break away full stop and life needs to be less complicated then dragging up old feelings when you see her pictured with a new guy etc.

Quite frankly FB is just not for me. Fair enough to those who like it but i live with a few girls that love it and it would seem that modern day people like to live life in a goldfish bowl for the sake of keeping in touch with old acquaintances that are best left where they belong. its only my own honest opinion really and it would seem that the positives outweigh the negatives for most people...fair enough.

whatever about the gym, just keep active. i took up running a while ago and i find that the endorphins and freedom you feel are absoloutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭crazy eyes

I don't usually reply to threads on here but I was in a similar situation before and I wish I got some decent advice then so here it goes.

As said above cut all ties. I know it's seems hard but it's better in the long run and try your best not to text her or fb her unless it's essential or u just have to say something to her.

If ur thinking about her and you can't get ur mind off her go out on a walk, go on a drive, go out to one of the lads just do something to get your mind off it.

Also you said you'd miss her alot on a Saturday night. Try do something on a Saturday night. Go to the cinema or even just hang around with mates.

One of the best pieces of advice i got was the best way to get over a girl is to get under a girl :-). I don't mean go out and have sex with everything you can find but if you have a chance to text a girl or talk to one on Facebook do it. It will help take your mind off it.

Also don't be afraid to talk to ur mates about how you feel dont bottle it up.

You've defo been threw the hardest bit so it will get easier from here

• Advertisement

crazy eyes wrote: »
    I don't usually reply to threads on here but I was in a similar situation before and I wish I got some decent advice then so here it goes.

As said above cut all ties. I know it's seems hard but it's better in the long run and try your best not to text her or fb her unless it's essential or u just have to say something to her.

If ur thinking about her and you can't get ur mind off her go out on a walk, go on a drive, go out to one of the lads just do something to get your mind off it.

Also you said you'd miss her alot on a Saturday night. Try do something on a Saturday night. Go to the cinema or even just hang around with mates.

One of the best pieces of advice i got was the best way to get over a girl is to get under a girl :-). I don't mean go out and have sex with everything you can find but if you have a chance to text a girl or talk to one on Facebook do it. It will help take your mind off it.

Also don't be afraid to talk to ur mates about how you feel dont bottle it up.

You've defo been threw the hardest bit so it will get easier from here

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Felt pretty bad today about not being with her anymore, it was such a nice day out and my friends were off doing other things while I was stuck inside on my own and sick. Stupid annoying thoughts kept coming into my head along the lines of "if I was still going out with her we would've done something today" even though towards the end of the relationship I was only seeing her one day a week anyway, which was Saturdays. Yeah I'm texting a few girls at the minute, haven't met up with any of them though and haven't even kissed a girl since we broke up (which will be a month ago this thursday) She's very likely to have been with other lads in that period and the thought of that is slightly annoying, but oh well I shouldn't waste my time even thinking about it.

you done the right thing and how ever tempted you may be, dont look at her page. you will do yourself no favours.

if there is any reason to avoid social networking its when you suffer a bad breakup. you need a full break away full stop and life needs to be less complicated then dragging up old feelings when you see her pictured with a new guy etc.

Quite frankly FB is just not for me. Fair enough to those who like it but i live with a few girls that love it and it would seem that modern day people like to live life in a goldfish bowl for the sake of keeping in touch with old acquaintances that are best left where they belong. its only my own honest opinion really and it would seem that the positives outweigh the negatives for most people...fair enough.

whatever about the gym, just keep active. i took up running a while ago and i find that the endorphins and freedom you feel are absoloutely amazing.

Cheers for the advice. Yeah I'm not a huge FB fan like I go on it more out of habit than anything else. Never really do much on it though. I made sure that I wouldn't look at her page by blocking her, thought that would be the best way to do it. Haven't said a word to her since we broke up and to be quite honest I've no intentions of speaking to her ever again. If she was to get in touch in a few months when everything feels completely fine (hopefully) and asks if we can be friends, I'm just gonna say no. Don't think she deserves my friendship after the way she ended it.

Cheers for the advice. Yeah I'm not a huge FB fan like I go on it more out of habit than anything else. Never really do much on it though. I made sure that I wouldn't look at her page by blocking her, thought that would be the best way to do it. Haven't said a word to her since we broke up and to be quite honest I've no intentions of speaking to her ever again. If she was to get in touch in a few months when everything feels completely fine (hopefully) and asks if we can be friends, I'm just gonna say no. Don't think she deserves my friendship after the way she ended it.
    Sorry it's been a while since I posted, been pretty busy! I hope you're feeling a lot better now and that you're starting to get over it. Someone like that doesn't deserve to be missed :P

Sorry it's been a while since I posted, been pretty busy! I hope you're feeling a lot better now and that you're starting to get over it. Someone like that doesn't deserve to be missed :P

No worries :) And yeah feeling a bit better like I've kept busy since she broke up with me, only thing is I've only gone out clubbing three times since she broke up, and I've been hearing she's out all the time. It's hard to get my mates to go out to town which kinda annoys me when I've been hearing of her out so much :/ Seen her on Wednesday night which was horrible for an hour or so but I grand after that.

No worries :) And yeah feeling a bit better like I've kept busy since she broke up with me, only thing is I've only gone out clubbing three times since she broke up, and I've been hearing she's out all the time. It's hard to get my mates to go out to town which kinda annoys me when I've been hearing of her out so much :/ Seen her on Wednesday night which was horrible for an hour or so but I grand after that.

Clubbing is overrated and if anything could end up make you pine for her even more as you are not meeting women in their natural environment.

You'll end up making comparisons of her with the women you meet out and thats not accurate. Get out of your comfort zone and try something new. You will never know what you are into until you try.
    By all means be fond of the relationship you had with this girl but see it as a stepping stone and not as the last chance saloon because believe me it isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

OP,

First off I know the feeling - I am 21 female, boyfreind of 4 years broke up with me just before christmas.

It's not a good feeling, especially when you don't have a huge group of mates and most are in relationships.

Like your relationship - mine was also on the slide and could see it coming to and end sooner or later, we didn't see much of each other and when we did we where board. One of my worries was also "what to do with my spare time"

First couple of weeks are hard, permantly on your mind and that sick feeling where you have no appaite to eat anythings.

First and hardest thing to do is - DO NOT CONTACT HER
    Seeing them and talking to them ever other day just makes it harder and gives off mixed signals. Only makes things worse.

I had a booked a holiday with a friend prior our break up so that kind of gave me something to look forward to and focus on.

I started back at the gym, and taking up classes there, also start looking after what I was eating and my health and the likes, started spending more time with family and freinds and appericating the small things in life that I didn't appericate when i was with him.

Go out with your freinds - doesn't always have to be drinking , I suggest if you are feeling low to stay off the drink for a bit cause it only makes you feel worse.

4 months on and I can safely say - im happy with my life, not much has change but i'm happy :) more time for myself and freinds. And feel I can plan my weekends etc freely.
    Have a had a few good nights out on the P*ss with my freinds and even enjoy sitting in curling up with munch and a dvd and watching a film on my OWN :P

In terms of another relationship - no.
    When you start getting over her and that sick feeling goes you wont want to get into another relationship - well I don't anyway. i'm just enjoying life - if something comes along that takes my fancy I'd give it a shot , but im not deliberately out looking for a relationship.

Have kissed a few guys here and there since our split but havn't had s*x yet - just not ready for the whole one night stand thing yet, and not really that kind of girl (wouldn't knock it on the head tho)

Take this has an advantage in life :) we're young. you sistuation sounds the exsact to mine so im pretty sure in a few weeks you will be happy to be single.

Anyone that doesn't make the effort with you isn't worth it.

If my ex rang now begging to get back with me now - i'd refuse to.
    simply cause i'm happy without him.. and just not able for the **** and pain he brought on.

Stay strong and keep in mind everything I said - you'll look back on this in a couple of weeks and agree with everything I just said :)

knowit12 wrote: »
    OP,

First off I know the feeling - I am 21 female, boyfreind of 4 years broke up with me just before christmas.

It's not a good feeling, especially when you don't have a huge group of mates and most are in relationships.

Like your relationship - mine was also on the slide and could see it coming to and end sooner or later, we didn't see much of each other and when we did we where board. One of my worries was also "what to do with my spare time"

First couple of weeks are hard, permantly on your mind and that sick feeling where you have no appaite to eat anythings.

First and hardest thing to do is - DO NOT CONTACT HER
    Seeing them and talking to them ever other day just makes it harder and gives off mixed signals. Only makes things worse.

I had a booked a holiday with a friend prior our break up so that kind of gave me something to look forward to and focus on.

I started back at the gym, and taking up classes there, also start looking after what I was eating and my health and the likes, started spending more time with family and freinds and appericating the small things in life that I didn't appericate when i was with him.

Go out with your freinds - doesn't always have to be drinking , I suggest if you are feeling low to stay off the drink for a bit cause it only makes you feel worse.

4 months on and I can safely say - im happy with my life, not much has change but i'm happy :) more time for myself and freinds. And feel I can plan my weekends etc freely.
    Have a had a few good nights out on the P*ss with my freinds and even enjoy sitting in curling up with munch and a dvd and watching a film on my OWN :P

In terms of another relationship - no.
    When you start getting over her and that sick feeling goes you wont want to get into another relationship - well I don't anyway. i'm just enjoying life - if something comes along that takes my fancy I'd give it a shot , but im not deliberately out looking for a relationship.

Have kissed a few guys here and there since our split but havn't had s*x yet - just not ready for the whole one night stand thing yet, and not really that kind of girl (wouldn't knock it on the head tho)

Take this has an advantage in life :) we're young. you sistuation sounds the exsact to mine so im pretty sure in a few weeks you will be happy to be single.

Anyone that doesn't make the effort with you isn't worth it.

If my ex rang now begging to get back with me now - i'd refuse to.
    simply cause i'm happy without him.. and just not able for the **** and pain he brought on.

Stay strong and keep in mind everything I said - you'll look back on this in a couple of weeks and agree with everything I just said :)

Thanks for the advice. I've no intentions of ever contacting the girl again anyway. That's not difficult for me. What is difficult/annoyin for me is the fact that she still comes into my mind a fair bit, and even though I try think of all the bad things about her, the fact she still comes into my head is annoying, because I know for pretty much fact that I'm nowhere near her thoughts. And the other annoyin thing is not having even kissed anyone yet in the time we've been broken up when no doubt she has :/ ugh

Thanks for the advice. I've no intentions of ever contacting the girl again anyway. That's not difficult for me. What is difficult/annoyin for me is the fact that she still comes into my mind a fair bit, and even though I try think of all the bad things about her, the fact she still comes into my head is annoying, because I know for pretty much fact that I'm nowhere near her thoughts. And the other annoyin thing is not having even kissed anyone yet in the time we've been broken up when no doubt she has :/ ugh

You cant think like that. If you meant nothing to her you wouldnt have lasted 3 years.
    Dont focus on who ends up meeting someone first or kissing another first as if your being punished. Down the line you may meet a wonderful person that gives you much more than this relationship ever could give you and in that time she could have had numerous false starts thats just the way luck has it. Not wishing any misfortune on the girl or anything.

No one knows one day from the next if we did we'd skip straight past the bad bits.

You have to trust that things work out for the best in the end. You gave this relationship with this girl your best shot but it just didnt work out. There is always better things in store for you so hang in there and be positive.

You cant think like that. If you meant nothing to her you wouldnt have lasted 3 years.
    Dont focus on who ends up meeting someone first or kissing another first as if your being punished. Down the line you may meet a wonderful person that gives you much more than this relationship ever could give you and in that time she could have had numerous false starts thats just the way luck has it. Not wishing any misfortune on the girl or anything.

No one knows one day from the next if we did we'd skip straight past the bad bits.

You have to trust that things work out for the best in the end. You gave this relationship with this girl your best shot but it just didnt work out. There is always better things in store for you so hang in there and be positive.

True, I agree that it's a stupid way to think but sometimes it's just like I automatically think like that. It's by far the longest relationship i've been in so this situation is completely new. To be honest i just wish she'd get the f**k out of my head. Having one of those days of constant thinking about her. I wouldn't mind but nothing happened to make me think about her. I just woke up and felt s**t about it again. Strange

• Advertisement

True, I agree that it's a stupid way to think but sometimes it's just like I automatically think like that. It's by far the longest relationship i've been in so this situation is completely new. To be honest i just wish she'd get the f**k out of my head. Having one of those days of constant thinking about her. I wouldn't mind but nothing happened to make me think about her. I just woke up and felt s**t about it again. Strange
    I'm no stranger to that feeling myself :P
    I know how hard it is to be so upset over something and to have people console you and tell you to forget about her etc etc. Tbh as much as I hated my guy when he ended things and as much as I wanted him to drop off the face of the earth, it wasn't going to happen. I had spent so long with him that I couldn't just forget about everything, and as much as a dick that he was for ending things the way he did - I did love him.
    It's really not a matter of trying to forget a person, it's about moving on. I'll admit it took me a few months to really get over him (and I'll openly admit to checking his facebook once and a while..:P), but now that I've just accepted things and sorted my head out, things have been a lot better.
    Don't mind what she's doing with her time now. If she's out getting drunk all the time then let her, it shouldn't concern you. Don't beat yourself up over not sleeping with or kissing anyone else yet or whatever - if you want to really get over her then doing that too soon will just make you feel worse. Though that's just my opinion - my love life is practically non-existent at the moment and I really couldn't care less (well I could...but you get me)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement