Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Ants HD IP Camera (Dropcam Clone) for less then €30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

stick a paperclip in the reset hole at the back to reset it completely and try then

Mine arrived last Thursday but I didn't get my hands on it until today. Why? Fecking customs nabbed it even though it was routed through Sweden. Cost me an extra €15....

opus wrote: »
    Cheers, yes I'm logging in on the Smart Home thing with a MI account but it doesn't have the camera in there. If I try to add it manually, it seems to find it, then asks for the wifi password, tries to do something (progress wheel goes upto 100%) and then says it fails.

Having the same problem.

Having the same problem.

I had to remove it from the camera app then add it to the smart home app and then re-add it to the camera app, and even at that I can only use the smart home settings, the app crashes when viewing video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

New firmware for the camera available to download. No idea what changes it gives and still don't have any working RTSP credentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nortcider

I ordered one the day after Paddy's day and it arrived last Friday. The customs declaration valued it at $15 so no duty due.

Setup was simple enough but I reckon that without all the advice on here I'd have been lost. Thanks to all who took the time to post that advice.

Software for it is a bit rubbish in my opinion. I got the small ants app working with it but not the smart home one (which I'm guessing has the better features such as record on detecting motion etc). I removed the camera from the small ants app and then tried the smart home one to no avail....I wonder could someone post a link to the Smart Home app that is working for them please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

was able to update to latest software using the link from here: http://en.miui.com/thread-99096-1-1.html

I needed to uninstall the English translation first but the new app still has English. Haven't had a chance to test with camera (it's at home and turned off at the moment)

Software for it is a bit rubbish in my opinion. I got the small ants app working with it but not the smart home one (which I'm guessing has the better features such as record on detecting motion etc). I removed the camera from the small ants app and then tried the smart home one to no avail....I wonder could someone post a link to the Smart Home app that is working for them please?

What is happening when you launch the smarthome app? Have you been able to add the camera to it. I had to
    1) remove the camera from the camera app
    2) use a paperclip to reset the camera
    3) immediately launch the smarthome app and get it searching for the camera on my network (i had copied my wifi access key so i could just paste it in to do it all as quicky as possible)

It took a few goes but the camera was detected. I then readded it to the camera app. However, once i launch the smarthome app it launches to the device screen (listing xiaomi devices in range) and then if i choose the camera it tries to load the feed and then crashes back to the device screen.

So, I have to immediately hit the three dots in the right hand corner of the screen before the camera loads to get into the settings. It doesn't crash then and I can set the alert (call the police) option and the times for it etc. then apply. When the alerts come in then, i just dismiss the smart home notification and check the camera app.

Bloody hell!! I think that situation was what the adjective "onerous" was created for. Will give it a try once I find the time and willpower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Works fine with new software/firmware but no sound from camera (can play sound back through it but it's not sending anything to the app). Video is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I'm in the same situation as an earlier poster: bought 2, still in box... i'm dreading the set up process. I'm waiting for the official iOS app and/or a foolproof way to view/record stream through VLC on a PC. I keep on monitoring en.miui.com for updates but so far still dead in the water.
    If anybody finds any other resource/forum/help pls share!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Took delivery of one of these cameras last week or before. Only got chance to set up last night, using it for baby camera. Took ages to get the camera working with Iphone. I am not using the app linked on here. I scanned a QR code on the instructions and it brought me to download iphone app. It is green icon and version 1.2.0. The name of the app is in chinese.....green with white MI in writing and then roof with chimney over the MI if that helps??

To get working I had to push the reset button, it spoke something in chinese(well i guess chinese), then yellow light flashed and tried to add via phone. What I found happening was it would scan till 100%, say no camera found. Blue light would go on camera, reset camera. Would say something, Yellow light flashing, start searching again, then would say something again from camera. App would go to 100% and say it couldn't find camera. Then it would kick out and camera would be added.

I tried to add another phone but seems you can only have one main user. So had to reset a few times. I had MI account from the Miband so got that up and running quickly. Trying to add wife phones and so far doesn't seem to allow me to nominate her via the option in app but could be because I just created her account yesterday

Picture etc is ok, just using for baby monitor. Audio works ok via phone and talk feature works. Will do the job. Checked from work and can get a picture up on iphone.

I found it pretty easy to set up when compared to the other camera I have installed. I bought Tenvis from Amazon, the software to install the camera has to be installed on laptop and took ages for it to pick up the camera. Once it picked it up I had loads of issues adding it to wireless network, then I had to open ports on router etc. Now I didn't know what I was doing so didnt help but was not easy. I found this camera easier but would be alot better if some sort of English was included.

This camera when I added it, popped up and said new firmware and to slot in SD card, popped it in, rebooted camera to pick up SD card and then it upgraded the software. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Cheers Big Nelly. looks doable. Will try over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Has anyone else had issues inserting an SD Card? I use a 64GB SDXC card and it goes into a reboot loop when I insert the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

ballooba wrote: »
    Has anyone else had issues inserting an SD Card? I use a 64GB SDXC card and it goes into a reboot loop when I insert the card.

32gb is max supported

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Balls. Any idea how much is required to do the firmware update? I have a 1GB and a 64GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

1GB card will be fine for the firmware update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Not sure if any help, I took a pic of QR code and attached to this post, if you can open this will bring you to the app I used.....I wonder if this is any better/worse than app linked on here?

New Smarthome App available and seems to be fully translated. Download from http://xiaomi.eu/SmartHome_2.5.3_60133.apk.

Just installed it and it is working much better than the previous one.

• Advertisement

I finally managed to connect with the Smart Home app! I still think the software is mental though. The most embarrassing things is that the time stamp of the video feed in the top left is 8 hours ahead of Irish time....I just don't know how to fix it..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

New Smarthome App available and seems to be fully translated. Download from http://xiaomi.eu/SmartHome_2.5.3_60133.apk.

Just installed it and it is working much better than the previous one.

Ive downloaded the file but my phone doesn't recognise it, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

weedhead wrote: »
    Ive downloaded the file but my phone doesn't recognise it, any ideas?

Rename it so the file extension is .apk

When I downloaded it on the phone is came with .man extension, renamed it and it installed. Have not done anything else with it yet, just installed the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

eamonnq wrote: »
    Rename it so the file extension is .apk

When I downloaded it on the phone is came with .man extension, renamed it and it installed. Have not done anything else with it yet, just installed the app.

cheers, that worked

Has anyone downgraded the firmware successfully? Currently I can't browse the contents of my SD card in my browser. Nor can I view the rtsp streams. Just wondering might it cause me more trouble than it's worth!

Has anyone downgraded the firmware successfully? Currently I can't browse the contents of my SD card in my browser. Nor can I view the rtsp streams. Just wondering might it cause me more trouble than it's worth!

Ye I downgraded to version that let's you do the above
    After I finally got it going
    You need to have old firmware on a sd card then reset the camera insert card and wait for it to update

Nice one, thank you!! Don't suppose you have a link to the firmware to save me a bit of searching? :)

edit: Think this is the solution:

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=70205&pid=1616543

That's it

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Just received a letter from customs looking for the receipt!

Any ideas on how much the charges are for this item?

Cheers,

O

• Advertisement

Depends on how much you paid....mine cost €35 so €8 charge + €7 An Post handling fee = €50 and lots of resentment.

Advertisement