Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drop outs and the debs

• 25-02-2015 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Do you guys think people who dropped out during either fifth or sixth year should be allowed to attend the debs?
    Just curious on other peoples opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

There's a girl who left my school who wanted to go to our debs, she's still friends with a few of us so it was no problem as long as she was willing to pay for her own ticket. More people = more money = being able to pay for the hotel. That was our point of view anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Yes. I'd let them. By the time the debs comes around everyone has gone their separate ways and it doesn't really matter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If they've dropped out in 5th or 6th year it's unlikely they will be going on to college until maybe later in life, if at all, so while others might have a chance at college graduations, university balls and the like, I wouldn't begrudge them their night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

My class had about 10 drop outs from 3rd year until the time I did my Leaving Cert. I'm pretty sure they were all at our debs bar one, no reason to not allow them to go as long as they pay I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

You guys are all very nice about it, my year weren't so much when we heard a few dropouts were allowed to go to the debs!
    I just always thought the debs was one last celebration with your year after having done the leaving cert and finished school etc.. So I'm kinda split on whether they should be allowed to go or not!

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    In our year you were allowed 2 tickets per person. So our big group of friends used all our 2nd tickets to bring friends who dropped out, friends from year below, or friends from other schools that hung around with us all from outside of school. There was no point asking someone in our year who was going and wasting tickets.

Yeh I wouldn't mind someone using there second ticket to bring a drop out like that's their secession, but a dropout being able to come to the debs AND bring a date raised a few eyebrows around our year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

We didn't have dropouts as such but yeah we did invite people who'd left the school between 4th & 6th year to come to the debs. No issue with it as they were mainly still in contact with people in the year. They had to pay for their own ticket obviously & honestly kinda helped with numbers as we were on the small side.

School didn't have an issue as the debs was not organised by them but the students themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

You won't know half the people at the debs anyway. You'll know those you went to school with obviously, but not most of their dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

We're inviting a few who were held back for various reasons but not those who moved schools and not those who skipped TY.

There was one fella who moved voluntarily in 4th year to another school in the town because they "hated this school and the people" and then they came around to this year wondering "so when will I get asked back?" Thought that was absolute cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

we're inviting anyone that was in our year since first year regardless of whether they moved or dropped out, but thats mainly because our year is tiny now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

We only had two students who dropped out; both were invited, one decided to come to the afters and one didn't come at all.
    Schools I've worked in, this issue has come up for debate every year. Usually it comes down to this: the debs is a celebration of your year group, which by then won't even exist anymore - what difference does it make whether everyone has actually completed the Leaving Cert or not? In 4 out of the 5 schools where I was aware of the debate, everyone was invited. In the fifth school, it was made clear to people who had dropped out that they were not welcome, and it all kicked off (before the night, and unfortunately also on the night).
    In my opinion anyone who was part of the year group at any stage should be invited, and it should be left up to them whether to come or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Isn't the debs seen as a night out for graduating from a school though ?
    A night to enjoy life after the lc ?

Personally I have no issue with those people being invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Isn't the debs seen as a night out for graduating from a school though ?
    A night to enjoy life after the lc ?

Personally I have no issue with those people being invited.

Isn't that what the actual graduation ceremony/mass/knees-up is for though?
    It seems a pity to exclude people based on whether they sat the exams or not, but that's just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ChrisBarrett7

Is it just schools around here that have their debs at the start of 6th year?...

Is it just schools around here that have their debs at the start of 6th year?...

No there's a school about half an hour from me that has theirs in November or something like that!

Advertisement