Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Prices 2021

• 23-05-2020 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

Currently saving as a FIrst time buyer. What are your thoughts on the housing market over the next 12 months.

Due to the current global pandemic ... Do you think it will become a buyers market and house prices are likely to drop significantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

short answer: 2008 house market crisis multiplied at least by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Short Answer - don't believe anyone who says they know - they don't because nobody knows.

The virus has some elements which should put pressure on prices to reduce. There will likely be some kind of recession with less spending money in the economy. Some immigrants may leave the country which will ease housing demand. An increase in the death rate amongst the order population (who tend to be property owners) may increase the supply of second hand homes.

However, some elements of the virus put opposite pressure on the market. We've had a shut down in building for several weeks which will curtail the supply of new houses in 2020. Social distancing and PPE requirements will slow down building and make building new houses more expenses. Interest rates will remain low for longer making mortgages more affordable. The central bank may ease lending restrictions which will fuel demand.

Don't try and second guess the market. A house purchase is along term investment and 20 years from now, nobody will be talking about this virus. Consider where you want to live and what kind of home you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

As per a once post, youd have to expect price drops. But the size of them, who knows .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

If the price crashes wont they all be bought up by vulture funds and people with cash decreasing the supply for the ordinary person? Building will be slower and less people will be movig. I dont think they'll be massive decreases but then anything could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

It’s never the wrong time to do the right thing - Donny Cassidy, 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Villa05

KBC BANK and ESRI are predicting falls of 12%, possibility of - 20% over 18 months

Hard to see any scenario where price won't fall significantly

Local conditions will have a big factor also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The market is currently broken/stalled. Do yourself a favour and do nothing until early 2021.
    You might get an idea on how this crisis will play out then and you certainly wont miss out on any golden opportunities in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

What is gonna happen with house market, will happen with everything else. People will just stop spending, no matter what. Who was about to buy something big, is gonna wait now. Not only here, but around the world. We are not even in buyer's market yet. We will be there once lockdown is lifted. And the only thing you gonna hear now "this is the very best time to buy a house!". Again, again and again.

What is gonna happen with house market, will happen with everything else. People will just stop spending, no matter what. Who was about to buy something big, is gonna wait now. Not only here, but around the world. We are not even in buyer's market yet. We will be there once lockdown is lifted. And the only thing you gonna hear now "this is the very best time to buy a house!". Again, again and again.

There is a difference in relation to housing. People don't need holidays, new cars and most consumer goods. People need accommodation whether there is a recession or not. Maybe there will be an increase in the levels of social housing. Maybe demand for higher value property will fall. Some demand might be curtailed by emigrants leaving or increased death rate. However, we still need a certain level of property to house our population, and if supply stays below demand, prices may actually increase.

This may not be the best time to buy a property. Maybe it is. We're a long way from knowing when the market reaches the bottom or how big the dip will be, or how quick it will recover.

she32 wrote:
    Currently saving as a FIrst time buyer. What are your thoughts on the housing market over the next 12 months.

Start your research now
    Set up email alerts from daft with what falls close to your affordability range
    Log these on an excel sheet with the following fields.
    Important: log all of the properties
    Address
    Agent
    No of beds
    Condition
    Aspect
    Broadband availability
    Ber score
    Asking price
    Sold price (fill from property price reg)
    Time on the market

and any other aspect of the property that is important to you. This will arm you with indepth local knowledge of the market you wish to buy in. Many agents can be spoofers. This research will enable you to determine which agents are being honest with you and which are economical with the truth

Price trends will become apparent quickly. You can see what purchasers are prepared to pay more for. This will also show properties may have less demand because they don't have an attribute that may not be all that important to you.

Where a market has stalled or very low volume sales you will see when it has resumed quiet quickly, as properties you see as good value others will see the same thing and they will be the first to sell. This may be the time for you to make your move

This research will take you maybe 15 minutes a week. For you, it could save you a small fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Villa05 wrote: »
    Start your research now
    Set up email alerts from daft with what falls close to your affordability range
    Log these on an excel sheet with the following fields.
    Important: log all of the properties
    Address
    Agent
    No of beds
    Condition
    Aspect
    Broadband availability
    Ber score
    Asking price
    Sold price (fill from property price reg)
    Time on the market

and any other aspect of the property that is important to you. This will arm you with indepth local knowledge of the market you wish to buy in. Many agents can be spoofers. This research will enable you to determine which agents are being honest with you and which are economical with the truth

Price trends will become apparent quickly. You can see what purchasers are prepared to pay more for. This will also show properties may have less demand because they don't have an attribute that may not be all that important to you.

Where a market has stalled or very low volume sales you will see when it has resumed quiet quickly, as properties you see as good value others will see the same thing and they will be the first to sell. This may be the time for you to make your move

This research will take you maybe 15 minutes a week. For you, it could save you a small fortune

Most likely the best advice on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

KBC BANK and ESRI are predicting falls of 12%, possibility of - 20% over 18 months

Hard to see any scenario where price won't fall significantly

Local conditions will have a big factor also

The same article you mentioned forecast prices to increase by 8 percent in 2021 and 5 percent 2022 so you could buy now actually have a house worth 1 percent more than today based on that article.

Given the strong demand for housing pre-COVID-19 and the continued pent-up of demand as people understandably hold off buying, The reduction in quality housing availability sellers Take houses off the market than accept 20% below asking in such a short period of time and so on. Loads of scenarios that may prevent house prices dropping significantly.

OP nothing wrong with proceeding buying a home in 2020 at a price that you can afford and possibly have negotiated a small discount the hedge your bets against any house price drop. Good luck either way

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think the HSE looking for their pound of flesh from the recently deceased people in the covid riddled care homes are going to put a fair amount of housing stock back on the market. Plus even the elderly who were in their own homes, You'll have many very settled areas of Dublin with a lot more properties for sale or their kids paying the tax man and keeping them as a rental.

you'll have many foreign workers who choose not to return to Dublin for a long time and some people pursuing more options to work from home who, while previously searching for Dublin housing, will now set their sights out further , knowing they'll only be commuting 1-2 days a week instead of a full 5.

I think a lot of apartments will enter the market as softening prices mean those who were in dual income stable tech jobs are able to leap from apartment living in south Dublin to housing in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

If inflation kicks in and supply remains low we may even end up with further house price increases, the next 12 month are unpredictable at this point. I've been monitoring the market very closely since January and i have not seen any sign of change

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

bdmc5 wrote: »
    The same article you mentioned forecast prices to increase by 8 percent in 2021 and 5 percent 2022 so you could buy now actually have a house worth 1 percent more than today based on that article.

I really can't see how we could have the biggest economic shock in history, and how prices will somehow not drop significantly, and will be fully recovered in two years.

Over 1 million citizens are receiving welfare now, whether it be the wage subsidy, or pandemic unemployment payment. Paschal Donohoe said there is a significant risk that unemployment is going to remain persistently high over the next few years, stating that up to 300,000 jobs might not return.

Massive unemployment doesn't go hand in hand with stable house prices.

Banks are refusing mortgage draw downs to people receiving any of these payments - even if still employed. It will be six months post receiving these payments before people will be looked at by the banks again.

A lot of our housing demand is created by the 80,000+ immigrants that come here every year. That demand is gone for 2020, and probably 2021. Advertise a rental on daft in Dublin, and maybe 80% of respondents won't be Irish.

We have 17,000 foreign university students in Ireland - that number is going to fall massively.

Tourism is dead - 300,000 people in Ireland work in tourism. Airbnb's are flooding the rental market, and we have a huge amount of new hotel rooms and student accommodation coming on line this year (some of which are already seeking permission to rent as private rentals instead this year).

Companies are also going to take massive advantage of this situation to reduce wages and conditions of their staff - its already happening, further reducing peoples spending power.

I really don't buy the argument of pent up demand and an under supply still existing.

Demand is disappearing very quickly. I think we are going to have a massive oversupply of both properties to let, and for sale.

Mic 1972 wrote:
    If inflation kicks in and supply remains low we may even end up with further house price increases, the next 12 month are unpredictable at this point. I've been monitoring the market very closely since January and i have not seen any sign of change

I don't think inflation will save the property bulls,
    Wages are quiet high here can't see them going much higher without loosing jobs to more competitive areas

The last decade was in general a period of 0 or very little inflation, however house prices and rents were hyper inflated. As a result people's disposable income is low. General inflation will result in even lower disposable income
    Stagflation is far more likely than inflation
    Wages will not increase as other costs increase

DubCount wrote:
    However, some elements of the virus put opposite pressure on the market. We've had a shut down in building for several weeks which will curtail the supply of new houses in 2020. Social distancing and PPE requirements will slow down building and make building new houses more expenses. Interest rates will remain low for longer making mortgages more affordable. The central bank may ease lending restrictions which will fuel demand.

Developers have stated that social distancing and ppe will have little or no impact on cost and could be absorbed by developers
    Interest rates are the lowest they have ever been. Poor decision making by people in power could change that. Ireland is one of the most indebted nations in the world on per capita basis. Things could get very nasty very quick

Banks have tightened lending within these restrictions.
    Restrictions were put in place on the direction of the ECB following the last crash, our leaders have not displayed that they have learned from the mistakes of that crash.
    There will be no easing of the restrictions

bdmc5 wrote:
    Given the strong demand for housing pre-COVID-19 and the continued pent-up of demand as people understandably hold off buying, The reduction in quality housing availability sellers Take houses off the market than accept 20% below asking in such a short period of time and so on. Loads of scenarios that may prevent house prices dropping significantly.

Dublin prices have been static since October 2018. The strong demand is at the lower price point. The recession will pull that price point lower.
    Construction sector will be impacted greatly by the recession. The commercial sector which had been booming will stall given the uncertainty surrounding significant moves to work from home and a badly damaged retail sector
    There are over a 120000 employed in the construction sector. If alot of these end up loosing their jobs the onus may be on the state to start an affordable housing program. This will get these people back to work and offset the 1 billion the state is paying in subsidising resedintial rents on an annual basis. The state has the land and can access money at close to 0 interest rates making this a win win for workers, house hunters, government and the economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

bluelamp wrote: »
    I really can't see how we could have the biggest economic shock in history, and how prices will somehow not drop significantly, and will be fully recovered in two years.

Over 1 million citizens are receiving welfare now, whether it be the wage subsidy, or pandemic unemployment payment. Paschal Donohoe said there is a significant risk that unemployment is going to remain persistently high over the next few years, stating that up to 300,000 jobs might not return.

Massive unemployment doesn't go hand in hand with stable house prices.

Banks are refusing mortgage draw downs to people receiving any of these payments - even if still employed. It will be six months post receiving these payments before people will be looked at by the banks again.

A lot of our housing demand is created by the 80,000+ immigrants that come here every year. That demand is gone for 2020, and probably 2021. Advertise a rental on daft in Dublin, and maybe 80% of respondents won't be Irish.

We have 17,000 foreign university students in Ireland - that number is going to fall massively.

Tourism is dead - 300,000 people in Ireland work in tourism. Airbnb's are flooding the rental market, and we have a huge amount of new hotel rooms and student accommodation coming on line this year (some of which are already seeking permission to rent as private rentals instead this year).

Companies are also going to take massive advantage of this situation to reduce wages and conditions of their staff - its already happening, further reducing peoples spending power.

I really don't buy the argument of pent up demand and an under supply still existing.

Demand is disappearing very quickly. I think we are going to have a massive oversupply of both properties to let, and for sale.

Of course these are all variables but you gone to extreme generalisations there. Your not renting or looking to buy are you (im not selling)? Where are getting demand is drying up, where are getting ALL mortgage drawdown are being rejected if on c19 payments which is totally untrue from expierence , i could go on.

Tourism is on hold not dead. Business cant wait to reopen and judging by the crowds this weekend in cork anyway people are gagging to get out a spend their money. For every business looking to reduce hours and salary there major multinationals allowing people to work from home at full salary.

I definitely acknowledge where your coming from but i think you are underestimating demand. I have friends and family members actively getting outbid on houses where sellers are not entertaining any discounts. The market is really in an almost holding position for now but its interesting KBC reckon price could recover in 2 years if do they drop.

bdmc5 wrote:
    I definitely acknowledge where your coming from but i think you are underestimating demand. I have friends and family members actively getting outbid on houses where sellers are not entertaining any discounts. The market is really in an almost holding position for now but its interesting KBC reckon price could recover in 2 years if do they drop.

KBC and ESRI have skin in the game, it is in their interests to put a rosy spin on it. Remember, Don't talk down the economy and put on the green Jersey from 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Of course these are all variables but you gone to extreme generalisations there. Your not renting or looking to buy are you (im not selling)? Where are getting demand is drying up, where are getting ALL mortgage drawdown are being rejected , i could go on.

Tourism is on hold not dead. Business cant wait to reopen and judging by the crowds people are gagging to get out a spend their money. For every business looking to reduce hours and salary there major multinationals allowing people to work from home at full salary.

No I'm not looking to buy, sell, or rent (thankfully).

Maybe I am being too pessimistic about the market - but I really can't see prices holding with so many factors putting downward pressure on it.

And yes, of course there is still some demand, but I'm just arguing that it is going to be greatly reduced.

I dont think anybody is predicting a 2008 scenario - but I also cant see prices only dropping 10% or so, and being back to their peak in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

If prices fall significantly won't developers stop building. Given the impact social distancing is predicted to have on the cost of building.

New builds on offer will dry up pretty quick. No point building houses to sell them below cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, I can't see new house prices falling 20%.

Developers will simply stop building instead.

Unless there is a matching huge fall in site purchase costs.

A new house for 450k in Jan 2020, I can't see this at 360k in Jan 2021.

I can see developers give maybe 5% off, or give incentives like kitchens, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Much of what BlueLamp says is true, but I can see a bigger impact on rents, rather than prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Geuze wrote: »
    Much of what BlueLamp says is true, but I can see a bigger impact on rents, rather than prices.

Totally agree. Rents will drop significantly. The increasing build cost will stem the potential drop in property prices. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

KBC and ESRI have skin in the game, it is in their interests to put a rosy spin on it. Remember, Don't talk down the economy and put on the green Jersey from 2008.

A 12% - 25% fall in prices within a short period isn’t putting a rosey spin on anything.

Developers have stated that social distancing and ppe will have little or no impact on cost and could be absorbed by developers
    Interest rates are the lowest they have ever been. Poor decision making by people in power could change that. Ireland is one of the most indebted nations in the world on per capita basis. Things could get very nasty very quick

Banks have tightened lending within these restrictions.
    Restrictions were put in place on the direction of the ECB following the last crash, our leaders have not displayed that they have learned from the mistakes of that crash.
    There will be no easing of the restrictions

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0519/1139398-construction-coronavirus/
    CIF do reckon it will have an impact on house prices according to this article. It makes sense. If you add cost to any business, there is a decision to either pass on the extra cost to customers or absorb them. I cant see developers just swallowing the extra cost. A lot of them reckon its difficult make residential property building economic as it is.

Bank lending rules were brought in by the Central Bank, largely to stop bank credit fueling house price inflation like in the run up to the last housing crisis. If house prices start to fall, the requirement to curtail demand through these restrictions will become less necessary, and the Central Bank may ease some of these restrictions. If they do, it will add upward house price pressure.

Geuze wrote:
    Developers will simply stop building instead.

Geuze wrote:
    Yes, I can't see new house prices falling 20%.

Geuze wrote:
    Unless there is a matching huge fall in site purchase costs.

There is more than one source of new houses. As stated the state can build houses without many of the costs private developers incur with a much lower cost of capital and with potentially lower labour and land costs

Hubertj wrote:
    A 12% - 25% fall in prices within a short period isn’t putting a rosey spin on anything.

Saying everything will be grand and we will be back at Jan 2019 price in 2 years is

DubCount wrote:
    CIF do reckon it will have an impact on house prices according to this article. It makes sense. If you add cost to any business, there is a decision to either pass on the extra cost to customers or absorb them. I cant see developers just swallowing the extra cost. A lot of them reckon its difficult make residential property building economic as it is.

CIF"s were rubbished by many developers and Tom parlon (CIF) was forced to correct what he said last week on radio in an interview with Sarah McInereney

DubCount wrote:
    Bank lending rules were brought in by the Central Bank, largely to stop bank credit fueling house price inflation like in the run up to the last housing crisis. If house prices start to fall, the requirement to curtail demand through these restrictions will become less necessary, and the Central Bank may ease some of these restrictions. If they do, it will add upward house price pressure.

The Central Bank is an arm of the ECB. if banks themselves are tightening their lending criteria, loosening the central bank restrictions becomes irrelevant.
    It's not going to happen anyway, especially when it is apparent that their is supply demand imbalance.

There is more than one source of new houses. As stated the state can build houses without many of the costs private developers incur with a much lower cost of capital and with potentially lower labour and land costs

The government has been reluctant to directly enter the house building game. With increased borrowings already, I'm not sure where the money would come from for the government to start building now - even if they wanted to.

CIF"s were rubbished by many developers and Tom parlon (CIF) was forced to correct what he said last week on radio in an interview with Sarah McInereney

I don't believe developers are making sufficient profits to just be able to absorb the higher costs coming their way.

The Central Bank is an arm of the ECB. if banks themselves are tightening their lending criteria, loosening the central bank restrictions becomes irrelevant.
    It's not going to happen anyway, especially when it is apparent that their is supply demand imbalance.

Not sure the Central Bank of Ireland would see themselves as just an arm of the ECB. The ECB sets Monetary Policy for the Eurozone, and does not direct the national central banks in relation to matters like the mortgage LTV rules. If it did, the same lending rules would exist in France, Germany etc..

I think you're trying to have it all ways here. If there is a supply/demand imbalance, then the rules will likely be kept in place. But if there is a supply/demand imbalance, this will put upward pressure on house prices. If the supply/demand imbalance is corrected, then much of the rationale for having the rules in the first place goes away, and they could easily be relaxed if house prices start to fall.

Retail banks will tighten lending in the short term. As we come out of lockdown, they'll be back to their normal selves trying to sell as many loans as they can get away with to beat their competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

This crisis is not like the crash of 2008, back then banks did not have money to lend.

The only buyers were all cash purchasers.

This time banks have access to lots of cheap funds from the ECB, but the question is will they lend it.

The current pandemic is uncharted territory, nobody can predict how it will play out.

Sellers that do not need to sell will hold off, buyers will sit on the fence and hope prices will fall.

I would not expect much to happen for at least another 12 months.

One thing is for sure, is that we are in for a very interesting year ahead.

Advertisement