Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Unfortunately i did read your comment and this 2nd comment only confirms that some personal observations on your part doesnt in any way shape or form constitute the "majority of people"

In fact, it seems you may have a bit of A Rated home envy :)

You're clearly having a senior moment then.

Also - where did I say fact? Is this or is this not a discussion forum where people are entitled to give their opinions based on real life observations and experiences?

Sure, a good energy rating would be nice, but I don't know if A rated is actually what I'd want.

I've a period home in a mature location on a large site which I'm gradually improving. I would not swap it for a 3 story terraced rectangular block in an estate for all the energy savings in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Can we get back to the market....please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SozBbz wrote: »
    If you read my post, I already said the heating was not on. The house has underfloor heating and we were in our socks (new house, shoes left at the door) so we would have felt it.

It was just having 3 people in the room and using cooking facilities and it became too warm.

Its not the first new house I've noticed this in and other posters have cited it before here.

If you have to open a window to let heat out, the ventilation system isn't working right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

cruizer101 wrote: »
    An A1 rated house is supposed to use less than 25 kWh/m2/year, so for a 100m2 house that is 2500 kWh/year.

The solar energy that falls on a south facing window ranges between 0.97 and 2.68 kWh/m2/day, though its over 2 for 8 months of year, and average is about 2 (source).
    Lets take the average 2, and lets say 10m2 of windows south facing.
    Solar Heat Gain Coefficient, SHGC, is factor for amount of solar energy that gets through window typically ranges between 0.3 and 0.5.
    2 kWh/m2/day * 10m2 * 0.3 = 6kWh/day solar heat gain, which is over 2000kWh/year in just solar gain.

Add that to other heat sources and its easy to see how it could get too warm in a house and easily warmer than outside.

Making a lot of assumptions there, your solar gains are going to be very different in summer to winter.

Also, how many new builds are A1 rated? If the house is overheating there is a problem with regards ventilation. They are designed to maintain ambient temps which you can set.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ush1 wrote: »
    This isn't really much to do with BER which is a poor measurement anyway. If you have to have your window open all the time it's a ventilation or heating controls issue.

Your house shouldn't get too hot, especially in the winter, if it's designed correctly.
    My house would have been designed in the 1910's or 20's so you'd be right on that. Effectively the heat escaping from the living room below warms our bedroom which leads to that one room being too hot. Adding additional ventilation to the room isn't an option as we're in an Architectural Conservation Area where drilling new ventilation through the wall wouldn't be an option either (and tbh, why bother when you can just open the window a crack!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Is this thread about the property market or a rated homes ?? Give it a rest lads set a new thread up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Would the market for homes under 300k still be as competitive in 2020
    Thinking about upsizing at the end of the year
    All depends on what i'd get for mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Looking at daft in the past 7 days alone 3 houses in my area have gone sale agreed, these were all on the market over six months, 250-300k bracket in the north east.

Possibly exemptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Is this thread about the property market or a rated homes ?? Give it a rest lads set a new thread up

A G-Rated discussion about whether people feel cold in an A-Rated home, unBERable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Whodanoob

Does anyone know how much the houses in the last phase of the Wicklow Hills were? Or how much the next phase might be?

• Advertisement

Is location all that changes from one estate to another these days? I can't see much different in terms of the general design of estates, layouts, etc. all seem very much copy/paste jobs.

Handful of estates look a bit different (there's a couple I've seen in Rush (Dublin) that look a bit different from the usual) but the vast majority seem like duplicates of each other in almost every way.

Mostly a mix of smooth plaster, and red brick, row of Semi-D, often with a detached at each end, mish-mash of some houses having their own driveway and the random terrace of houses that appears beat in along the way that often has shared parked at the front. Lot of houses having the ground floor extension at the back, aswell, albeit with a post-stamp back garden (haven't seen any houses with a big back garden in a long time).

Bewilders me when you see estates being built in Cavan/Monaghan, etc. where the's no shortage of fields and green space, and the houses still have tiny back gardens you can barely put a table out in.

I wonder is it that the dreadful design of many of the trouble estates around the country has been copped onto and this design seems like a neutral one to keep the scummers at bay. Lots of cul de sacs and estates with just one-way-in, one-way-out entrances to avoid through-traffic?

Also haven't seen an estate of just detached houses appearing in a while (at least not in Dublin/Louth/Meath etc. I wonder is that on purpose to try and beat more people into the estates? or is there just no demand for it as the cost would be prohibitive for the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Viewed our first house of 2020 last night, a modest 3 bed semi in somewhat close proximity to Castleknock (i.e. castleknock in the name, but eircode says different).

It's over out budget, but hasn't been listed online yet and we were first in the door. We went in case it was 'the house'. It was, in my opinion overpriced by about 50K compared with comparable properties in the area......

So while the newspapers are reporting prices are dropping it seems vendors initial expectations are not. I called out the estate agent on a few things last night including the rubbish of having castleknock in the name, the work and cash needed to bring out the 'potential' he kept talking about and his response was the vendor is confident they'll achieve asking....

We wished him luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Viewed our first house of 2020 last night, a modest 3 bed semi in somewhat close proximity to Castleknock (i.e. castleknock in the name, but eircode says different).

It's over out budget, but hasn't been listed online yet and we were first in the door. We went in case it was 'the house'. It was, in my opinion overpriced by about 50K compared with comparable properties in the area......

So while the newspapers are reporting prices are dropping it seems vendors initial expectations are not. I called out the estate agent on a few things last night including the rubbish of having castleknock in the name, the work and cash needed to bring out the 'potential' he kept talking about and his response was the vendor is confident they'll achieve asking....

We wished him luck.

So what was the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

so whats the months that traditionally have the most properties listed? so few places up at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

nerrad01 wrote: »
    so whats the months that traditionally have the most properties listed? so few places up at the moment

Spring and Autumn.
    Houses look great these times of the year.
    Harder to sell a house now when it's miserable, cold and all your garden is in bad shape.

Also haven't seen an estate of just detached houses appearing in a while (at least not in Dublin/Louth/Meath etc. I wonder is that on purpose to try and beat more people into the estates? or is there just no demand for it as the cost would be prohibitive for the benefits.
    When 10% of the units have to go to social housing, it makes little sense to build an estate of only detached units.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sleepy wrote: »
    When 10% of the units have to go to social housing, it makes little sense to build an estate of only detached units.

It's nothing to do with social housing. It makes no sense to build detached units because they take up too much space, and space is valuable.

The houses would end up too expensive and the demand wouldn't be there.

Developers don't build social houses for free, they are paid for them.

Yes, and in estates where they want to build detached units, it makes more sense to build semi-detached or terraced units for the social housing units in order to save that space for the detached units where higher margins can be achieved thus resulting in a lack of 100% detached unit estates being built.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Most local authorities now have a minimum housing density requirement for planning applications.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yes, and in estates where they want to build detached units, it makes more sense to build semi-detached or terraced units for the social housing units in order to save that space for the detached units where higher margins can be achieved thus resulting in a lack of 100% detached unit estates being built.

It is very unlikely that you would see a fully detached development, social housing or no social housing. It would not make sense, except for at the very high end of the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Graham wrote: »
    Most local authorities now have a minimum housing density requirement for planning applications.

100% this. A load of applications get rejected for not being dense enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

100% this. A load of applications get rejected for not being dense enough.

This is true. We had one beside us rejected for this reason not so long ago. In DLR for example, they've two measures of density, and both are higher than they would have been pre crash.

There is a standard density requirement and then a higher one if you're 1km or less from major transport infrastructure - the Dart, the Luas or a QBC, so that covers quite a large area.

This probably also answers the question as to why so many new builds look the same.

They've obviously found the optimum design/footprint to meet the density requirements and be profitable, and are just building it over and over again with only minor variables.

I wouldn't say new builds look the same at all tbh. There's quite a bit of variety between different developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Graham wrote: »

Its more being driven by national planning policy and being implemented strongly by ABP under the SHD process. They have a mandate for higher densities as set out in the Guidelines on Sustainable Residential Development in Urban Areas (2009). Public Transport Corridors are 50 units per ha minimum for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Over the years there has been numerous posts calling for amateur landlords to leave the market to “professionals”, is that what was meant?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/cairn-sells-229-homes-to-landlord-for-78m-1.4135996?mode=amp

As these are new properties, rents will be set at the very top of the market in order to maximise yield, and automatically increase when regs allow. It will increase availability, but at the highest price and none will be available for purchase by families.

awec wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with social housing. It makes no sense to build detached units because they take up too much space, and space is valuable.

The houses would end up too expensive and the demand wouldn't be there.

Developers don't build social houses for free, they are paid for them.

We are not stuck for space in this country. Drive around a condensed country like holland and they are majority detached houses. Not too big. We have an obsession with square footage in Ireland.

We are not stuck for space in this country. Drive around a condensed country like holland and they are majority detached houses. Not too big. We have an obsession with square footage in Ireland.

We are not stuck for space but land that can actually be developed for housing is expensive and it does not make sense to fill it full of the lowest possible density housing. Especially in the places that are in high demand.

Ultimately if there was a market for detached houses they'd build them, but the reality is the resulting cost of the houses puts them out of reach of the majority of people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Recent detached only estates near me have houses with virtually no gardens front or rear and a passageway between each house that's about wide enough for an adult to squeeze both sides of a wall. You could reach and touch both if the wall wasn't there.

Basically detached in name only - you will still hear noise from next door and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Where supply is needed and land is most constricted, why we don’t build higher instead of wider is beyond me. Dublin CoCo should be allowing higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dav010 wrote: »
    Where supply is needed and land is most constricted, why we don’t build higher instead of wider is beyond me. Dublin CoCo should be allowing higher.

I agree. I'd prefer not to see hectares of estates around every town, just so people can have the illusion of space. So long as there's decent insulation, a semi detatched is perfect.
    Same for apartments. The issue is getting decent sound insulation.

It's depressing driving through the country and seeing miles of one off housing up every hill and road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement