Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd be happy if he gets Silver Medal - and a serious competition this year for that.

The last group - is a bit unfortunate to be honest.

Has shown unreal composure all week.

I'd be happy if he gets Silver Medal - and a serious competition this year for that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whatever happens it was an unreal day today, I hope he savours that after tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mod note: Ease up on the betting talk please. For those of you new to this place have a read of the charter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

He can't win any money tomorrow but at the same time if he wins he's basically set for life. Imagination the sponsorship deal he could when he turns pro on the back of having already won a major as an amateur? Would be huge money.

He's been magnificent so far and I wish him all the best tomorrow.

However I really hope he isn't thinking like some of the posters on here are. Such as being happy with the silver medal or being happy to have led after 3 rounds etc.

He has had an amazing week no matter what but he can absolutley win this tournament and he has to believe that. I'm sure he does. He has proven over 3 days that he's good enough, there's no reason he can't prove it again tomorrow.

He might play on the tour for the next 25 years and never get another chance as good as this to win a major. Look at Sergio Garcia, came so close at 19 and looked like he'd win a ton of them. Maybe Dunne will go on to win 6 majors. Either way tomorrow is a great chance to win one and I hope he grabs it with both hands because it's there to be won

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So if he wins the claret jug, he doesn't get the silver medal?

_84368313_cks1asoucaavpk4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭kingshankly

If it was an amateur tournament he would be 3 over this professional game is a lot easier 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

efb wrote:

He may not get the silver medal but he will get lifetime entry into the open, a five year exemption to all four majors, a card for the pga for five years in the us, probably lifetime membership of the European tour, and a jug for his flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

What's impressed me most with his play (apart from his putting which has been superb) is how he's been able to get out of trouble and give himself a chance of a birdie. At least twice that I saw, he was in the rough for his second shot and got onto the green in a good position. He kept confounding the commentators who were predicting a difficult shot and saying he'd be struggling for a par.

While big names like DJ and Paul Lawrie were struggling with those shots and leaving themselves short, he was serenely bouncing them on to the green from everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

efb wrote: »

_84368313_cks1asoucaavpk4.jpg

Pretty sure he'd be OK with that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Forget about the money and anything else. Winning the Claret Jug is the one the majority of golfers want - if he can do that today he'll have his place in history. Money will come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

rrpc wrote: »
    What's impressed me most with his play (apart from his putting which has been superb) is how he's been able to get out of trouble and give himself a chance of a birdie. At least twice that I saw, he was in the rough for his second shot and got onto the green in a good position. He kept confounding the commentators who were predicting a difficult shot and saying he'd be struggling for a par.

While big names like DJ and Paul Lawrie were struggling with those shots and leaving themselves short, he was serenely bouncing them on to the green from everywhere.

I think Oosthuizen and his caddie just laughed at each other such was the quality of his second shot on 17.
    Delighted he will be playing with Louis again today. Louis was a gent to him yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I think Oosthuizen and his caddie just laughed at each other such was the quality of his second shot on 17. Delighted he will be playing with Louis again today. Louis was a gent to him yesterday.

Anyone see him willing Dunnes putt in on the 17th. Pure class.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Keano wrote: »
    Forget about the money and anything else. Winning the Claret Jug is the one the majority of golfers want - if he can do that today he'll have his place in history. Money will come in time.

Yep, otherwise Harrington would have been OK with Dunne winning and him picking up the million quid for second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

this is why golf is the greatest game in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

They will be making a movie The Greatest Game Ever Played 2....instead of Francis Quimot it will be Paul Dunne hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Schniederjans -5 for the front 9 to sit at -9. The Silver Medal is going to be hard won never mind anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForeRight wrote: »
    They will be making a movie The Greatest Game Ever Played 2....instead of Francis Quimot it will be Paul Dunne hopefully!

I might even get a role as an extra. I'll be the lad propping up the bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

If it was an amateur tournament he would be 3 over this professional game is a lot easier 😜

Ya but imagine an amateur comp off the tips in a windy St Andrews? CSS would be close to 80. Most 18 handicappers would need a drive and a 3 wood to get around the sheds on 17 never mind anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep, otherwise Harrington would have been OK with Dunne winning and him picking up the million quid for second.

Money gets divided back into the prize pot if an amateur wins, not just down to the best placed pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Did he finish second best amature?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Did he finish second best amature?

No, fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Still a fantastic achievement for the guy.

First to qualify - and then to put in such a massive effort all week.

RESPECT - hope he has a long future in the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I just hope he doesn't fade into obscurity. At least starting in the last group on the final day will always stand to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

elastico wrote: »
    I just hope he doesn't fade into obscurity. At least starting in the last group on the final day will always stand to him.

This is where the RIGHT guidance and support is absolutely VITAL at this stage in developing the talent Paul Dunne clearly has and helping him achieve his full potential.

Don't know the chap but I can't see any reason why his talent can be further developed - with the RIGHT backing and support.

Would LOVE to see the achievements of the 1st 3 rounds built on - rather then be hampered by something which lets face it - happens the best of the pros - Harrington today, Poulter at the Honda - Rory at a Major in 2011 I think.

Bad days happen on the final day of a tournament - but its to build on the positives the huge huge positives of the first 3 rounds

Amazing achievement - and if you look at many other opens he would have got medal by miles.

I'll be honest and say, all I was hoping for was The Silver Medal - going out in last group was an unlucky break.

A little disappointing - and he will learn from this , his head dropped when it went a little wrong (understandable) - but when I seen him use back of putter for a tap in - I went , he is gone.

Anyway - still fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

He doesn't get prize money, but does he get ranking points?

Edit: As I read it on the updated list, he got 4.05 points, and is 896th in the world.....that's up fro 1615th.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A fantastic display all week. Many a experienced Pro collasped in final rounds before, he still very young.

Take my hat off to the lad. He should be proud and I reckon while he might feel downbeat now over time he will look back and think of it much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

He did fantastic to be leading The Open. Pity he didn't play as well today but the experience will make him a better player.

Advertisement