Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

What are the green fees for the island lads? I always see it on golf now for €100 but that's far too much for me.

Any way of getting out on that course for cheaper than that. I'd love to play it but just have not managed to yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Thanks for the effort taken there Trapper. Just need the driver to be working on the day so.

ForeRight wrote: »
    What are the green fees for the island lads? I always see it on golf now for €100 but that's far too much for me.

Any way of getting out on that course for cheaper than that. I'd love to play it but just have not managed to yet.

All I know Foreright is to get out as a visitor at the time we've booked for is €125.

That's why I really love* my mate right now.

the lawman wrote: »
    All I know Foreright is to get out as a visitor at the time we've booked for is €125.

That's why I really love* my mate right now.

How much is it as a visitor with a member?

P.S. I love your mate too.

Hint hint nudge nudge

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

benny79 wrote: »
    surely Lanich €100 & doonbeg €125 cant be worth that!

The market says they are worth it as visitors come year after year to play both these courses and then take the ferry down to BallyB, Tralee and Waterville.

If you are willing to play €100 to €125 for any other course in Ireland then you should be willing to pay it for these 2 as they fit in the highest bracket in my opinion. I have played both many times and both are great courses.

However, if you would be unwilling to pay this amount of money for any other course in Ireland then its not for you and you are not in their target market. Simple economics really, they have a product as good as any other in the Irish market so they charge the price where supply equals demand and maximises their return.

Doonbeg charges more than Lahinch because it incurs more costs for marketing in to its target market in the US and thus generates additional supply from wealthy US clientelle. It also adds the premium extras of a 5 star hotel and facilities. Lahinch doesnt have these facilities and thus isnt under pressure to pass additional costs incurred onto customers.

• Advertisement

How much is it as a visitor with a member?

P.S. I love your mate too.

Hint hint nudge nudge

No idea FR. Wish I did though as it would mean I'm a memberino.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Trapper - I like blind holes. I think it is the ultimate course knowledge, if you play a course enough , a hole is not blind , you know exactly what is over the hill - it is blind to your eyes - but not your mind ( :) )

But some people can't stand them - so you often hear people talk about the blind holes in The Island. This creates an intimidation going there.

I guess you could get into a debate (on the links thread here) - about people's definition of a blind hole.
    The ones you mentioned are as blind as they come - and have a lasting impact.

But - there are a few holes that if you are on the wrong side of the fairway - you will not see flag for 2nd shot. If you go off where you should be at the Island - the dunes are so deep - they make the route to green blocked - examples of this would be 1st , 6th , 7th - also for a first timer on the 2nd - it is very intimidating - as the landing area is blind - to a newcomer.
    Again - all my first impressions.

So again - it was a while back - but the pure blind holes you mentioned have a lasting impact.

Hopefully it is a course I get to know well over the next few rounds - I hope to play it at least once a year from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Only played links once which was Portmarnock Links, and absolutely loved it! Going back soon and want to play the island too if the wallet allows it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

You dont have to pay 100 to play a decent links, Corballis is 15 quid and although there are some poor holes there are a few holes that rival most links courses in the country.

• Advertisement

Ah I know Dar. I've played corballis to death at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

haha I will probably be saying that by the end of the summer!! What about Arklow? Im going to try play it this sunday, looks savage!!

Arklow is quality. Try get down if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

dar_cool wrote: »
    haha I will probably be saying that by the end of the summer!! What about Arklow? Im going to try play it this sunday, looks savage!!

Sent you a PM there Dar, I'm on for Sunday.

Any other takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

dar_cool wrote: »
    Arklow is quality. Try get down if you can.
    PARlance wrote: »
    Sent you a PM there Dar, I'm on for Sunday.

Any other takers?

Lads, if I may... some Arklow photos from t'other night:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

even with the sheds and hoppers in the background, that picture of the 11th is a thing of beauty and oh what a pin placement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Had left Arcklow as some where i would get to as some stage but really want to play it now, had heard that it was only average but it looks great maybe its the camera work.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Great Photo's. Seriously need to get down to play it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Thanks for the compliments, lads.

Mike, the first 11 holes are very good, with a couple of beauties, but the later holes become parkland-like. Still good, but without the links thrill. It's also not the most attractive setting - warehouse sheds one side, quarry t'other, and hemmed in by a railway line. Doesn't sound great, does it! But it's a good test and rarely given the credit it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Got an e-mail about this today. Whilst not a complete Links tournament as Spa is parkland - Royal County Down, Ardglass and Spa over 3 days in late April for £130 seems like a good deal. Includes a goodie bag for each day with a strokesaver, scorecard, drinks, snacks etc

http://www.countydowngolf.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Thanks for the compliments, lads.

Mike, the first 11 holes are very good, with a couple of beauties, but the later holes become parkland-like. Still good, but without the links thrill. It's also not the most attractive setting - warehouse sheds one side, quarry t'other, and hemmed in by a railway line. Doesn't sound great, does it! But it's a good test and rarely given the credit it deserves.
    The views from the clubhouse perched on high should be breathtaking but are horrendous. Must have one of the ugliest vistas from any clubhouse in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

The Island had an open four person team competition in April last year which cost €100 per team if memory serves me right.
    The member doing the sign in said at the time that the club intended to run these periodically in the future.
    That competition wasn't advertised anywhere and I haven't heard of any since.
    I was wondering if there are any Island members here with any knowledge of upcoming open competitions as I would be more that happy to play there again, especially at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NorfolkEnchants

Love this thread, love seeing it bumped.

Hoping to get some serious links golf in over a couple of weeks later this month, have booked in to play Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill and Rosses Point already, then hope to get up to Rosapenna if I can persuade someone to come with midweek sometime, play both courses and stay up there on the beer (if I can structure it around a Champions League quarter final Tuesday or Wednesday then all the better for beer).

Has anyone got any guidance (or a link to somewhere else) re Carne? I've played most of the others (Rosapenna being the exception) so can't wait to get out at Carne. I hear the strokesaver is worth the purchase, but if anyone has any detail on a hole-by-hole guide or a link to somewhere that would then that would be great.

For a first timer at Carne like me, would you good folk recommend the old 18 or would I be better off at trying to play the new 9 instead of the old front 9? It won't be my last trip ever over there, so plenty of time to see the new 9 another time, which is why I'm leaning towards going with the old 18 and giving the new 9 time to mature. Does this make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Love this thread, love seeing it bumped.

Hoping to get some serious links golf in over a couple of weeks later this month, have booked in to play Carne, Enniscrone, Strandhill and Rosses Point already, then hope to get up to Rosapenna if I can persuade someone to come with midweek sometime, play both courses and stay up there on the beer (if I can structure it around a Champions League quarter final Tuesday or Wednesday then all the better for beer).

Has anyone got any guidance (or a link to somewhere else) re Carne? I've played most of the others (Rosapenna being the exception) so can't wait to get out at Carne. I hear the strokesaver is worth the purchase, but if anyone has any detail on a hole-by-hole guide or a link to somewhere that would then that would be great.

For a first timer at Carne like me, would you good folk recommend the old 18 or would I be better off at trying to play the new 9 instead of the old front 9? It won't be my last trip ever over there, so plenty of time to see the new 9 another time, which is why I'm leaning towards going with the old 18 and giving the new 9 time to mature. Does this make sense?

Google is your friend :D

http://www.carnegolflinks.com/flyover.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Got an e-mail about this today. Whilst not a complete Links tournament as Spa is parkland - Royal County Down, Ardglass and Spa over 3 days in late April for £130 seems like a good deal. Includes a goodie bag for each day with a strokesaver, scorecard, drinks, snacks etc

http://www.countydowngolf.com/
    This used to be held in kirkstown as the 3rd course, played it a few years ago and the format was different u had to qualify to play in rcd for the 3rd day which was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Playing the majestic and ridiculously priced (€11) Corballis in the morning.
    Really do like it there, some great holes, the 3rd is a favourite for some reason and the 6th (i think). Par 3 from elevated tee.
    Hopefully I'll get to play more links during the summer months and see a few new courses.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Really do like it there, some great holes, the 3rd is a favourite for some reason and the 6th (i think). Par 3 from elevated tee.
    Hopefully I'll get to play more links during the summer months and see a few new courses.

Has to be the best value golf in the country.

Ssssshhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Felexicon wrote: »

She welcomed me in with open arms, let flirt with her for a few holes, then chewed me up and spit me out.
    Never a dull moment around there. Great way to spend a mirning

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NorfolkEnchants

alxmorgan wrote: »

Thanks Alex, appreciate the effort in looking.

I'm not a massive fan of the flyovers, I don't think they do anything to advertise a course. I'd much prefer a website that gives threee lines about a hole than pulls together some 3D graphic - maybe that's just me?

Anyone have any info on how the new 9 in Carne is playing?

• Advertisement

12 to 15 m/s wind today. 30 mph +.

5 irons from normal 8 iron location.
    Punches. Using wind. Ball moving when putting.

Was a class day.

Played well . Loved it.

Advertisement