Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Attitude does play a pretty heavy part here, as you don't know what you would get or lose if you pursued older bidders, put it back on the market, etc. It comes down to your perception of the market and what you value at that point in time. Do you reliably close the sale now, or take a chance extending the sales process by another few weeks or months post Covid?

The EA, purely from their own point of view, would prefer the negotiation is concluded quickly and would definitely prefer not to go to other bidders or back to the market. Their drop in fee from a negotiation would be be much smaller compared to the seller, and they'd see this as a much bigger investment of their time for almost no return.

You personally might not entertain a reduction until you have pursued all other avenues, but I think most sellers would know this is not a 'costless' course of action to take - an already reluctant buyer may move on if they know the seller is shopping around which entails complication, delay, and a reduced chance of getting a price that they might not proceed without.
    If they've got the wiggle room then it probably wouldn't be a problem. But I'd imagine budgets have all been done up and a reduction could mess their plans up. I don't agree there is "attitude" involved. People are buying homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for your opinion.
    It was a shock for me. It is a huge amount and the builder said it very casually as if its the norm. I have never been involved in house buying before.

I will get in touch with our solicitor.
    awec wrote: »
    Sounds like your builder is a clown.

This stuff should have all been sorted before he priced and sold the houses. You agreed to pay a certain price, he has agreed to sell the house to you at that price, contracts are signed.

Talk to your solicitor but I wouldn't just accept that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

If they've got the wiggle room then it probably wouldn't be a problem. But I'd imagine budgets have all been done up and a reduction could mess their plans up. I don't agree there is "attitude" involved. People are buying homes.
    Every case is unique but in a market where buyers are asking for discounts, I doubt that sellers have as much leeway as you think that they can expect to ask the buyer to wait while they begin a process of calling older bidders. The original poster also mentions they aren't really happy with current price - a seller openly shopping the property around to cold bidders would have the risk of them finally cutting their losses and moving on.

This is not a dispassionate process and your perception is at play. Your original statement was that you'd go with whatever decision had the best return, but my point is that that is very far from obvious and involves very fallible personal readings of people and market factors. You could read things wrong and end up costing yourself money or maneuvering yourself into a worse position.

They may or may not have strict budgets literally down to the €1,000s done and they may or may not be trading up - all you can do is ask and move on with the information you have once they make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks for your opinion.
    It was a shock for me. It is a huge amount and the builder said it very casually as if its the norm. I have never been involved in house buying before.

I will get in touch with our solicitor.

If you have any documents signed he builder doesn't have a leg to stand on... Presuming the house is not a one off and is part of a development

Yes, contracts signed.
    Let's see what solicitor will say.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    If you have any documents signed he builder doesn't have a leg to stand on... Presuming the house is not a one off and is part of a development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Paris123

Hi There,

My partner and I are first time buyers. We went on a recent viewing and house is on a guide price of 245k. The Estate Agent has informed us that an offer has been made for 240k and that if we are thinking of making an offer, we should move fast. We like the house but feel that 240k is a bit much. We would be prepared to offer a smaller figure of 210-215, can you suggest if we should counter-offer at a lower figure or just assume that the estate agent is telling the truth on the 240k offer and move on?

Any advice for us first timer buyers is welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Paris123 wrote: »
    Hi There,

My partner and I are first time buyers. We went on a recent viewing and house is on a guide price of 245k. The Estate Agent has informed us that an offer has been made for 240k and that if we are thinking of making an offer, we should move fast. We like the house but feel that 240k is a bit much. We would be prepared to offer a smaller figure of 210-215, can you suggest if we should counter-offer at a lower figure or just assume that the estate agent is telling the truth on the 240k offer and move on?

Well all you can do is to say your limit/top offer would be 215k and leave it at that. If the 240k offer is genuine then you're gone.

There is a fair gap to 245k, so if you think the house isn't worth more than 215k, don't stretch yourself. Let it go, there will be other houses.

Hi There,

I would say the vast, vast likelihood is that he's telling the truth.

If you want to allow for the possibility he might be lying or that the sale might fall through, communicate exactly what you said here to him - that you feel the house is worth a €215k bid maximum and to contact you in future if he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hi There,

I would concur with the two previous posts, but do have to wonder - no criticism intended - whether your valuation may be unrealistic.

If you take recent sales of similar property types from the property price register and work out the sale price per square metre - you will probably have to google the original listings - how far apart are those prices per sqm from the house you are interested in? If your estimated value, worked out on unit area, is close to recent sales, then go with your valuation being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Hi There,

If it's listed at 245k but you feel it's only worth 30-35k less, I'm not sure you like it that much and would go for another one you feel is worth at least the asking price, or a shade under (like 5-15k).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi There,

Make an offer of what you think. After a few times you will get good at valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Silly question
    Bought in 2007 for 195k, took mortgage for 165k, owe 104k

Hoping to move (probably in a year but that house you see online gets you to jump too soon :)) , have 30k saved

New property costs 220k, so wud need mortgage of 190k (not quite making the 80%)

Wud put own house for sale and hope to make 40k.

Wud a bank allow you to go on interest-only on 1st property or give a mortgage break to allow for move to 2nd property? (while waiting for 1st house (where we currently live) to sell)

Combined mortgages wud be within our 3.5x but I'd rather not be paying two mortgages if I didn't have to.

Sorry if this question is stupid, presuming bank wouldn't entertain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Hi everyone. FTB here with an offer in on a house at 4% under asking. No other offers yet. Executor sale. This house was on the market at a higher price Aug 2019 and dropped Nov 2019. So no major interest is what I can infer from that. We have our offer in almost 4 weeks now. Any idea what the usual timing is to accept /reject?

EA told us they holding out for more money (our offer is 10% off the original asking) I see no point in out bidding myself. Why would I? There's no interest And original asking price is irrelevant bc if house was worth that it would have sold for that especially as the market was buoyant a year ago. We really want this house as it does suit us well but it needs a ton of hopefully only cosmetic renovations. While I would like to get things moving as we have a baby on the way, I'm equally not going to throw money away to get there. Any thoughts? Any chance an executor sale can close quickly once the ball is rolling?

Queenio wrote: »
    Hi everyone. FTB here with an offer in on a house at 4% under asking. No other offers yet. Executor sale. This house was on the market at a higher price Aug 2019 and dropped Nov 2019. So no major interest is what I can infer from that. We have our offer in almost 4 weeks now. Any idea what the usual timing is to accept /reject?

If it is an executor sale, you may well be dealing with a "committee" of beneficiaries. Trying to get them all to agree can take time. You would need to make enquiries as to who the deceased was and what the family situation is.

If it is an executor sale, you may well be dealing with a "committee" of beneficiaries. Trying to get them all to agree can take time. You would need to make enquiries as to who the deceased was and what the family situation is.

Thanks for replying. EA has said they are the children of the deceased (father). Im sure some if not all have a set number in their heads of what they want to achieve but given its closing in on 12 months since the house was first listed I'm not sure how realistic their ideal is?

My understanding is an executor sale should proceed within 12 months. Covid closure of the market will no doubt be offset against that, as is only fair. But there have been no offers made at all since we made ours. I am not keen to bid against myself and getting fed up waiting to hear either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Could someone please provide their opinion on this?

I bought a new house last year and works are being completed now.

Builder told me there are extras that I need to pay in the range of €5000+VAT as different authorities such building envelope, energy & air tightness regulators, and electrical engineers recommended changes in his initial plan which has resulted in this extra cost.

I wasn't made aware of these costs and builder made the necessary changes. Now he told me these will be added in my final amount.

We signed contract in March 2019 and final price agreed on it. Is this the norm and where do I stand?
    The house is in an estate.

Thank you

It’s the builder job to construct any house in accordance with any Regulations or laws of the land. If he cannot do this then he is not a competent builder. On the face of it it sounds like he’s had some problems with the Regulatory authorities. These issues are not client choices such as an upgraded kitchen. I wonder what these Regulatory issues were (If any) and if they are still outstanding, now he’s drawn your attention to it. Your solicitor would advise you. Drag it out until the 11th hour as completion draws closer he’s running out of time and it’s not a sellers market. If he’s at this messin I would be snagging the house very carefully. Best of luck.

Thanks for replying. EA has said they are the children of the deceased (father). Im sure some if not all have a set number in their heads of what they want to achieve but given its closing in on 12 months since the house was first listed I'm not sure how realistic their ideal is?

My understanding is an executor sale should proceed within 12 months. Covid closure of the market will no doubt be offset against that, as is only fair. But there have been no offers made at all since we made ours. I am not keen to bid against myself and getting fed up waiting to hear either way.

There is a recognised executors year in which the executor is expected to have wound up the estate. if the executor is not making progress the beneficiaries could seek the removal of the executor. If the beneficiaries agree among themselves to keep it going, it can go on for years.
    You will have to find some way to get pressure on them to move.

If the beneficiaries agree among themselves to keep it going, it can go on for years.
    I was not aware of this. Thank you so much for that information. Other than putting an end date on my offer I'm how else to do this. We can for sure offer more too. You've given me food for thought anyways. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I was not aware of this. Thank you so much for that information. Other than putting an end date on my offer I'm how else to do this. We can for sure offer more too. You've given me food for thought anyways. Thanks again

This is what I would do, put a date on it and be 100% ready to walk away after it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wouldn't bother with an end date, it's unlikely to have any effect.

Keep looking elsewhere. When you ring to enquire again, make it clear that you are looking elsewhere and will proceed elsewhere if you find something you like, that you aren't waiting on this specific house.

You could also ask what figure they're holding out for.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    make it clear that you are looking elsewhere and will proceed elsewhere if you find something you like, that you aren't waiting on this specific house.

This is what I'm most tempted to do. And will do. Unfortunately supply seems to be very much strangled but there are other houses out there we could go with. Getting fed up waiting but I'm just not sure if I'm being unduly impatient too. I think if we don't hear by the end of the week we will contact and let them know we are looking for a quick sale and not necessarily this particular house

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is what I'm most tempted to do. And will do. Unfortunately supply seems to be very much strangled but there are other houses out there we could go with. Getting fed up waiting but I'm just not sure if I'm being unduly impatient too. I think if we don't hear by the end of the week we will contact and let them know we are looking for a quick sale and not necessarily this particular house

Yea as someone mentioned earlier the problem with these sort of sales is it just takes 1 of the family members to be awkward to slow the whole thing down. It's also not likely to be as high a priority for them compared to if they were selling their own houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Any chance an executor sale can close quickly once the ball is rolling?

There is no practical reason an executor sale can't proceed quickly. I don't believe there is an absolute onus on them doing the bidding of the beneficiaries, they just have to act in their best interests so if one isn't happy they can just ignore them and proceed.

Is there anyone living in the house? If so, it might be the executor, in which case heel dragging could be the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sale Agreed as of last week! We went 1.5% over asking price but we were happy enough to go ahead with it as it's going to be our long term home (plenty of potential once we can shake the money tree in a few years :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1sttimebuyer20

EA told us they holding out for more money (our offer is 10% off the original asking) I see no point in out bidding myself. Why would I? There's no interest And original asking price is irrelevant bc if house was worth that it would have sold for that especially as the market was buoyant a year ago. We really want this house as it does suit us well but it needs a ton of hopefully only cosmetic renovations. While I would like to get things moving as we have a baby on the way, I'm equally not going to throw money away to get there. Any thoughts? Any chance an executor sale can close quickly once the ball is rolling?

This story sounds very familiar, doesn’t happen to be in Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Can anybody give me an idea of how long it usually takes to get a valuation done on a property?
    We're sale agreed on a new build. The house is ready to go.
    Broker said they would instruct the valuer to go take a look at the property over 2 weeks ago but still nothing yet. When I ask about it, they say they're still waiting. I'm just wondering if it usually takes this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Can anybody give me an idea of how long it usually takes to get a valuation done on a property?
    Broker said they would instruct the valuer to go take a look at the property over 2 weeks ago but still nothing yet. When I ask about it, they say they're still waiting. I'm just wondering if it usually takes this long?

Mine took about 5 working days. I got mine done last week they did say there was a backlog with Covid

Thank you.
    Snagging is in the process and solicitor contacted. Very unhappy with this big slap of a bill.
    brucky wrote: »
    It’s the builder job to construct any house in accordance with any Regulations or laws of the land. If he cannot do this then he is not a competent builder. On the face of it it sounds like he’s had some problems with the Regulatory authorities. These issues are not client choices such as an upgraded kitchen. I wonder what these Regulatory issues were (If any) and if they are still outstanding, now he’s drawn your attention to it. Your solicitor would advise you. Drag it out until the 11th hour as completion draws closer he’s running out of time and it’s not a sellers market. If he’s at this messin I would be snagging the house very carefully. Best of luck.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    That seems like a long time. I think mine took two working days from the bank initiating it to receiving the report back.

• Advertisement

Can you ask the EA what figure the sellers are holding out for? If you're 4% under asking I can't imagine the gap is huge between what you're offering and the current asking price - it's up to you if the house is worth the extra 4% (assuming the asking price is a price the beneficiaries will accept...which is why asking the EA can help).

Advertisement