Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland- Minimumwage Land

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The cost of living in Ireland is astronomical, rent, car Insurance, bin collection, broadband, electricity, food, the list goes on and on

Nobody seems to make the connection between the 200+ billion debt and counting and the insane cost of everything here

And obviously very few people are willing to make the connection between the astronomical cost of housing and rent and mass immigration

The cost of housing is by far the worst. Food here is pretty cheap compared to the rest of North Europe. Insurance is another clincher, but most other costs are relatively normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yes, if you leave school at 16 to get a minimum wage job, (the only one available) to support the family where do you suggest they go from there? Take 3 years off to go to college full time? Who will contribute to food and rent?

How many 16 year olds leaving school have a family to support? Not many I’d bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

[/B]

The government.

No council estate family are living soley off a single minimum wage income.

I said support the family not necessarily sole bread winner.
    Many in private rentals are too by the way.

It's not so straightforward. What quality of credential will take on a junior cert level student?
    The government will pay fees, books, maybe accommodation and ensure the same money goes to the household as did prior to attending college?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Such a structural change would be made redundant by the solution though. If min wage workers had easy access to plentiful social housing, then what would be the point of them getting a mortgage?

I think structurally, economies can't function that way, not everyone can afford to actually own a home, for them housing should be still easily accessible through the local authority. I don't think any country has a set up where the bottom 7% of earners buy their own homes. The country would have to strike oil, and import a large amount of slave labour to make that work.

Its a balance. Supply enough to cool the market so workers can afford to buy privately. Change the criteria of eligibility for social housing as needs change.

amcalester wrote: »
    How many 16 year olds leaving school have a family to support? Not many I’d bet.

Most all of them? I'm not talking sole bread winner. Help or contribute like I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Most all of them? I'm not talking sole bread winner. Help or contribute like I said.

It's not the 1950's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sorry I'm going to be flamed for this but why would anyone think that they're entitled to get more than the bare minimum for an unskilled job !!

Of course you can't afford a house, car and the luxury of daily trappings. That's not what it's meant for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

D3V!L wrote: »
    Sorry I'm going to be flamed for this but why would anyone think that they're entitled to get more than the bare minimum for an unskilled job !!

Of course you can't afford a house, car and the luxury of daily trappings. That's not what it's meant for.

Hardly much point in expecting people.to work a job,if you cant have a reasonable lifestyle off it??

Whats point of that kind of job that deosnt pay enough to live off...you'd be better off on the dole in many cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

The cost of living in Ireland is astronomical, rent, car Insurance, bin collection, broadband, electricity, food, the list goes on and on

Nobody seems to make the connection between the 200+ billion debt and counting and the insane cost of everything here

And obviously very few people are willing to make the connection between the astronomical cost of housing and rent and mass immigration

It's the interest on the debt, 7 billion a year and yet you'll struggle to hear it discussed on any main stream media outlet yet people get all worked up over a few people refusing council housing. It's almost like there is an agenda......

I’m not sure I’d believe that, 72% of early school leavers are either unemployed or inactive.

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »

Of course it's not for that. Most nations provide social housing for people like that yet the government here has somehow brainwashed people into thinking citizens applying for social housing are scum or should live in Longford and commute to Dublin to pack their shelves or empty their bins everyday.

The simple fact is if we want minimum wage workers we had better expect them to live among us and earn enough to put food on the table otherwise they will just end up claiming welfare and doing themselves or society no favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

It's the interest on the debt, 7 billion a year and yet you'll struggle to hear it discussed on any main stream media outlet yet people get all worked up over a few people refusing council housing. It's almost like there is an agenda......

On his tv show Matt Cooper said the national debt was 'ancient history' so I guess we've nothing to worry about then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I know of a Polish fella that has "free" lodging at a riding school, but earns €65 a week working as a stable hand.

Slave labour. Surely criminal, don't understand why he works for them...

On his tv show Matt Cooper said the national debt was 'ancient history' so I guess we've nothing to worry about then

Good example and he's not the only one tbh. How many hours have been devoted in the media to the national children's hospital debacle yet we could build seven of them a year with the interest alone.

kneemos wrote: »
    It's not the 1950's.

That's true we've more children homeless today.

I’m not sure I’d believe that, 72% of early school leavers are either unemployed or inactive.

The ones working minimum wage would be, y'know, working. The comment was they should shoot for better.

The ones working minimum wage would be, y'know, working. The comment was they should shoot for better.

Honestly not sure if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I originally said that we should be teaching our kids to aim higher than minimum wage jobs.

You then later said that most 16 year olds leaving school do so to support their families, Ive shown that this is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Race to the bottom. People coming to Ireland willing to work for peanuts and share apartments with 10 people. An employers wet dream.

Yep.

The amazing thing though is that Ireland, and other Western countries with similar problems, have managed to convince the world that we are the model that needs to be followed, that we are the lands of justice and fairness as opposed to the rest of the world.

The corporate capitalists have well and truly broken all our sense and spirit, turned us into obedient slaves that do not see what's going on.

Honestly not sure if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I originally said that we should be teaching our kids to aim higher than minimum wage jobs.

You then later said that most 16 year olds leaving school do so to support their families, Ive shown that this is not the case.

Neither on your last point.
    No you've not. You've given stats on how many aren't working. They wouldn't be on minimum wage unwilling or incapable of aiming higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

So many people earning around the minimum wage is bad for the wider economy as they have no spending power in shops , restaurants etc ....
    Twenty years ago most people earned a reasonable wage that meant they could buy most items they needed and eat out occasionally... now they are scavenging in Lidl or Iceland to survive

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote: »
    Hardly much point in expecting people.to work a job,if you cant have a reasonable lifestyle off it??

Whats point of that kind of job that deosnt pay enough to live off...you'd be better off on the dole in many cases

Travellers have Sussed this years ago ... forget working and have a large family .... and get the skilled and unskilled workers tax to pay for it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

LuasSimon wrote: »
    So many people earning around the minimum wage is bad for the wider economy as they have no spending power in shops , restaurants etc ....
    Twenty years ago most people earned a reasonable wage that meant they could buy most items they needed and eat out occasionally... now they are scavenging in Lidl or Iceland to survive

Think you’re looking back 20 years with rose tinted glasses.

Neither on your last point.
    No you've not. You've given stats on how many aren't working. They wouldn't be on minimum wage unwilling or incapable of aiming higher.

I’m still no closer to understanding what you’re saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Very few earn the minimum wage.

Many earn close to it !... go into any restaurant , hotel , factory , office outside of Dublin ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I think its like 55% population earn under 28K

Low wages,crap conditions and poor job security are hallmark of irish economy for large tracts of people under 30....theres a huge age divide,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's also worrying how many skilled professions are paid just over minimum wage. We all want our kids scared for by skilled staff for example but can't find enough staff because the pay is a joke. Same with carers for the elderly. Or the lads that cook your nice meal out on Friday evening.
    You want to become a social care worker? Have fun job-sharing for lousy pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I have just moved on from the minimum wage days myself. Between travel, working and lunch I was lucky if I could anything. Working a 30 hour week with the travel being 2 hours a day and still only coming out €1200 or so was really quite beyond a joke. How anyone lives on it I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Many earn close to it !... go into any restaurant , hotel , factory , office outside of Dublin ..

Your posts are all mixed up.

There will always have to be minimum wage jobs to keep these businesses viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cgcsb wrote: »
    The government ran a budget surplus of €100m in 2018, that could be about 1,000 social housing units. New social homes delivered in 4 years: -1,300

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/03/20/council-owns-1-300-fewer-social-homes-than-four-years-ago

I think most people would be very happy for the state to build new homes out of it's existing wealth or through borrowing.

If people want it, and it's a vote winner and it's the right thing to do for the country then why don't they do it?

I suspect it's because politicians are beholden to old people who vote most reliably. And old people don't have a clue about the hardships faced by young people in terms of job security, wage growth vs cost of buying a house or having a family.

I suspect that if a politician actually p dry opposed a massive programme of house building, on the scale that's needed to actually fix the problem, they would be branded loony left.

Advertisement