Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Also some pretty big news here, Chris Paul deems his relationship with Harden "unsalvageable" and wants out of Houston.

https://twitter.com/VinceGoodwill/status/1141076711729172480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Also some pretty big news here, Chris Paul deems his relationship with Harden "unsalvageable" and wants out of Houston.

https://twitter.com/VinceGoodwill/status/1141076711729172480

That's all well and good but WTF do you do with his contract? Who is going to absorb that?

Pelicans could say Jrue Holiday, Solomon Hill for CP3, cash and a war chest of picks?

Yeah only way you get rid of CP3's contract is by finding a taking team who are willing to take him on if you throw in a handful of picks too.

Yeah only way you get rid of CP3's contract is by finding a taking team who are willing to take him on if you throw in a handful of picks too.

Its banana boat time

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

https://twitter.com/devlightyear/status/1141095296929284096

Might be fake news about CP3 but who knows.

If he is on the block, I could see someone like the Suns talking themselves into CP3/Booker/Ayton for some semblance of relevancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841718-celtics-rumors-al-horford-expected-to-leave-sign-4-year-contract-elsewhere

Al Horford looking like he's gone from Boston. With Irving likely gone, that leaves them in an interesting position that they've somehow managed to retain their young core through all the rumours and missed trades during the past season, and have a pile of spending money..

Who replaces Horford - Vucevic? Boogie (that would be interesting actually)?

On Horford - who is offering a 33 y/o centre 4yrs / $100m?? That has a smell of the Knicks desperation off of it...

Harrison Barnes also rejected his $25m option with the Kings, I'm all for betting on yourself but surely he doesn't think he'll get close to that elsewhere.

Harrison Barnes also rejected his $25m option with the Kings, I'm all for betting on yourself but surely he doesn't think he'll get close to that elsewhere.

That seems an unwise decision. Someone (Knicks :D ) will probably panic buy him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Horford and Barnes clearly feel other offers are pretty much on the table.

Horford is still a good asset. The reason you don’t want him to a four year max is fully age related. Barnes on the other hand is a role player, and him getting a big deal is going to be a huge mistake a franchise doesn’t come back from in terms of competing.

I know they're opening up the gaming market in the US but this seems like a rather odd manner to approach it

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/27007778/nba-launch-virtual-sports-betting-game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭nerd69

Horford definetly has an offer on the table there was talks if him taking less to stay in Boston until recently. He's a huge loss to the team I think they have room for a max now but not sure who they would go for. Full on build around the two Jay's now I guess and hope hayward can get back to his best he showed some of it I the playoffs.

Mike Conley and his ludicrous contract gone to Utah, Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Grayson Allen and a handful of draft picks gone the other way.

It's this year's and either the '20 or '21 first rounder from Utah. Seems like a classic good deal for both sides type situation, we kinda knew it was coming with Memphis trading Gasol at the deadline and almost definitely drafting Ja Morant. Conley is a massive improvement over Rubio in Utah, himself and Mitchell in a backcourt is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think Steph Curry could be a decent shout for MVP next year, if you look at the likes of Westbrook and Harden as models in recent years, the stars of one-man teams who get to the playoffs and are ultimately outclassed tend to always be in the running. I can see Steph putting the team on his back and getting anywhere between the 4-6 spot. Whereas when you think of LeBron, Kawhi etc they tend to peak in the playoffs.

leggo wrote: »
    I think Steph Curry could be a decent shout for MVP next year, if you look at the likes of Westbrook and Harden as models in recent years, the stars of one-man teams who get to the playoffs and are ultimately outclassed tend to always be in the running. I can see Steph putting the team on his back and getting anywhere between the 4-6 spot. Whereas when you think of LeBron, Kawhi etc they tend to peak in the playoffs.

Very reasonable shout. High usage and win shares seem to be the MVP formula.

Yeah I think Steph's in with a good shot of MVP if he can even get GS to like the 4 seed.

Possibly or high usage leads to Steph getting hurt again

nerd69 wrote: »

Well they’ll have to roll that dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Odds seem to be fluctuating between books, anyone see if a European book is offering odds? Hard to read and make a grasp of the American markets at times.

If I wanted a decent sweat I'd back someone like Jokic and maybe Towns. Embiid too perhaps who I hope starts taking things seriously again.

Cam Reddish for ROTY is one I'll be all over tbh as odds looks like they should be favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Think he did this with the understanding that he'll negotiate something more long term/team friendly with the Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

nerd69 wrote: »

To be fair, while that’s entirely possible, it’s also a bit unfair to assume too. He’s got to lower his minutes somewhat in recent years, true, but he’s hardly been on a LeBron regular season schedule either and managed to stay healthy. It’s similar to how Anthony Davis is considered injury prone but has stayed largely healthy the past couple of years.

Angliru wrote: »
    Odds seem to be fluctuating between books, anyone see if a European book is offering odds? Hard to read and make a grasp of the American markets at times.

If I wanted a decent sweat I'd back someone like Jokic and maybe Towns. Embiid too perhaps who I hope starts taking things seriously again.

Cam Reddish for ROTY is one I'll be all over tbh as odds looks like they should be favourable.

They'd want to scandalous odds for ROY. My pick there is very easy, Michael Porter Jr. No1 projected 2 years ago, great scorer, a year in league which always helps as shown by Blake, Simmons & pretty much Embiid.
    Excellent reports coming out of Denver.

I agree on Towns, a weakened WC could see TWolves make a move behind Town. Embiid issue obviously durability but on skillset definitely.

Porzingis is my out of left field pick. Doncic freeing up space, apparently he's 100% for months now with Mavs comfortable giving him the max.

After that based on what I've seen so far, nothing jumps out at me, plenty of guys who will be relatively short. Lillard maybe....

The Grizzles got a decent return for Mike Conley given his age and size of contract.

Jazz send Grayson Allen, Crowder, Korver, 23rd pick in draft and future 1st rounder.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    They'd want to scandalous odds for ROY. My pick there is very easy, Michael Porter Jr. No1 projected 2 years ago, great scorer, a year in league which always helps as shown by Blake, Simmons & pretty much Embiid.
    Excellent reports coming out of Denver.

I agree on Towns, a weakened WC could see TWolves make a move behind Town. Embiid issue obviously durability but on skillset definitely.

Porzingis is my out of left field pick. Doncic freeing up space, apparently he's 100% for months now with Mavs comfortable giving him the max.

After that based on what I've seen so far, nothing jumps out at me, plenty of guys who will be relatively short. Lillard maybe....

Porter is a shout but he recently developed drop foot so I'd be shocked if even plays next season. Don't think he'll ever play tbh.

Hopefully Porzingis kicks on and stays healthy. Really excited by him and Luka playing together.

Angliru wrote: »
    Porter is a shout but he recently developed drop foot so I'd be shocked if even plays next season. Don't think he'll ever play tbh.

Hopefully Porzingis kicks on and stays healthy. Really excited by him and Luka playing together.

Fair enough, I wasnt aware he had been diagnosed with that. I know it usually signals other issues.

I think too early to say never play given even Embiid missed 2 years. Hopefully he can because the ability there but I remember watching that draft and waiting for him to get picked and thinking the doctor reports must have been very bad to go that low

Fair enough, I wasnt aware he had been diagnosed with that. I know it usually signals other issues.

I think too early to say never play given even Embiid missed 2 years. Hopefully he can because the ability there but I remember watching that draft and waiting for him to get picked and thinking the doctor reports must have been very bad to go that low

Yeah wasn't he projected like top 3 or something before injury? Damn shame, seems like his brother is plagued by injuries too and his sisters have had to retire due to injuries...one tore her ACL five times. Five! That is unheard of.

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair, while that’s entirely possible, it’s also a bit unfair to assume too. He’s got to lower his minutes somewhat in recent years, true, but he’s hardly been on a LeBron regular season schedule either and managed to stay healthy. It’s similar to how Anthony Davis is considered injury prone but has stayed largely healthy the past couple of years.

I dunno even in the finals when the load went heavily on him he started looking tired to me I'm very possibly being unfsir. I'm curious to see if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I know they're opening up the gaming market in the US but this seems like a rather odd manner to approach it

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/27007778/nba-launch-virtual-sports-betting-game

Not basketball related, but I was literally stunned by a figure in that article

"In the United Kingdom, £771.4 million was bet on virtual sports from April 2017 to May 2018"

That is insane.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Not basketball related, but I was literally stunned by a figure in that article

"In the United Kingdom, £771.4 million was bet on virtual sports from April 2017 to May 2018"

That is insane.

I had no specific figure in my head but any figure one would tell me had been gambled in a given domain wouldn't shock me at all at this stage.

Gambling companies prey on the vulnerable to a certain extent adjusting people's stake factor(multiple of punters max bet ie 1 means standard, 0.1 is 10% of standard and 4 is 400% standard).

On the topic of virtual gambling this is seen as shooting fish in a barrel. Someone starts hitting their max bet on virtuals and it's a quick bump in stake factor.

It's all quite pernicious behaviour, the bulk of punters dont fall beyond the standard but when they do, they put the squeeze on those who are hitting those max bets at bad prices

• Advertisement

What time does the draft kick off Irish time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement