Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now you’re talking – to our subject expert Christine on Motor & Home Insurance.

• 26-04-2019 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Whether you feel like the roof is falling in or that you’re skidding out of control when it’s time to renew then here is where you can have all those questions answered plus find out about our home Guaranteed to Beat offer and our Motor Insurance discounts!  At Bank of Ireland Insurance - we have you covered!

We are delighted to host our first AMA with a Bank of Ireland insurance professional. Christine has been working with BOI Insurance Services for over 5 years and will be live from 7pm – 8pm on Tuesday 30/04/2019 to answer questions on all things motor and home insurance related.

We will be keeping the topic to general motor and home insurance queries only. In our book there is no such thing as a stupid question so feel free to post; we would be delighted to hear from you!

Please note we won’t be in a position to discuss market pricing as there are many factors used to determine rating and these are set by individual insurers.

And as a Thank You for taking part we will enter you into a free draw to win One Year’s free Motor or Home Insurance* and don’t forget to read our competition rules here.

Please note that we will handle your personal details in accordance with our Data Privacy Notice available here

*: The free Motor or Home Insurance will be provided by Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited and that underwriting acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply subject to a max value of €500.  Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Home Insurance and Car Insurance are provided by Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited. Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited is a member of the Bank of Ireland Group. Bank of Ireland Home Insurance and Car Insurance are underwritten by RSA Insurance Ireland DAC. Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited is tied to RSA Insurance Ireland DAC for the purpose of selling Home Insurance and Car Insurance. RSA Insurance Ireland DAC trading as RSA is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Cover is subject to underwriting requirements and terms and conditions apply. A full list of terms, conditions and exclusions will be included in our policy booklet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It’s really not all down to legal fees, is it...?

C’mon now. We’re all friends here. Tell it straight.

I've not had Home insurance with BOI (yet, I'm sure I will in future as I bank with BOI and my Car insurance is with them) so this is more of a general question.

But why is it that Home insurance providers are still terrified of flat roofs? My brother has a flat roof extension and found it difficult to get cover. I myself have a large flat roof (40%-ish total roof is flat) and I'm expecting lots of hassle or increased 'price me out' premiums when it comes time for my renewal.

Flat roofs seem to have become massively popular (and 'modern' looking) in recent times. I would say the majority of extensions I see these days are flat roofs for the cleaner lines and lower profile, yet insurance companies seem to despise them.

I appreciate they have a bad reputation from days gone by, but I think they've come along quite a bit since then. Felt roofs have certainly been improved upon and although I've no immediate first-hand experience with fibreglass roofing, it seems very popular as a flat-roof option.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Do you think that customers should be more aware that if they bank with you and have house insurance to get a quote as it will mostly work out cheaper for having everything under one roof as such? I took a chance last year and found out that by having home insurance it reduced my motor policy by a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bank of Ireland: Christine

endacl wrote: »
    It’s really not all down to legal fees, is it...?

C’mon now. We’re all friends here. Tell it straight.
    I've not had Home insurance with BOI (yet, I'm sure I will in future as I bank with BOI and my Car insurance is with them) so this is more of a general question.

But why is it that Home insurance providers are still terrified of flat roofs? My brother has a flat roof extension and found it difficult to get cover. I myself have a large flat roof (40%-ish total roof is flat) and I'm expecting lots of hassle or increased 'price me out' premiums when it comes time for my renewal.

Flat roofs seem to have become massively popular (and 'modern' looking) in recent times. I would say the majority of extensions I see these days are flat roofs for the cleaner lines and lower profile, yet insurance companies seem to despise them.

I appreciate they have a bad reputation from days gone by, but I think they've come along quite a bit since then. Felt roofs have certainly been improved upon and although I've no immediate first-hand experience with fibreglass roofing, it seems very popular as a flat-roof option.

Hello and thank you for your query this evening. Under our criteria, we will insure properties where up to 50% of the property is flat roofed. Under this, our underwriters will look at each quote on a case by case basis. 

In relation to flat roofs, from a risk perspective there are other factors that need to be considered in addition to leaks. These include materials used that may pose a higher risk in the events such as fire.

I hope this helps answer your query. If you have any other questions, please feel free to private message us with your contact details and I will be happy to have a member of my team contact you directly.

Kind regards,
    Christine

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Now you’re talking – to a subject expert on Motor & Home Insurance; 

Christine is now live until 8pm to answer your questions. 

The topic is on general motor and home insurance queries only. Anything asked outside of this Christine will be happy to direct you to the most relevant department. 

Don’t forget to check out the competition rules here, as a Thank You for taking part you will be entered into a free draw to win One Year’s BOI Motor or Home Insurance* 

This thread will remain open.

*: The free Motor or Home Insurance will be provided by Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited and that underwriting acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply subject to a max value of €500.  Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Home Insurance and Car Insurance are provided by Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited. Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited is a member of the Bank of Ireland Group. Bank of Ireland Home Insurance and Car Insurance are underwritten by RSA Insurance Ireland DAC. Bank of Ireland Insurance Services Limited is tied to RSA Insurance Ireland DAC for the purpose of selling Home Insurance and Car Insurance. RSA Insurance Ireland DAC trading as RSA is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Cover is subject to underwriting requirements and terms and conditions apply. A full list of terms, conditions and exclusions will be included in our policy booklet.

• Advertisement

Do you think that customers should be more aware that if they bank with you and have house insurance to get a quote as it will mostly work out cheaper for having everything under one roof as such? I took a chance last year and found out that by having home insurance it reduced my motor policy by a good bit.

Good evening,

This is a great question and I am delighted that you raised it. Currently, within our branch network and on our group website, we do advertise our insurance offers.

Perhaps we need to do more in this space and we will certainly pass this feedback on to our marketing team. It goes without saying, we are open to any suggestions you may have.

I am delighted to hear that we were able to reduce your car insurance premium :-)

Thanks again,
    Christine

• Registered Users Posts: 26 edora91

Hi Christine,
    I recently changed a full EU license to an Irish license with view to making my insurance a bit easier to quote. Seeing that I have just under 3 years on my license and no insurance history or no claims bonus, what other steps would help bring the premium down?
    Would getting a named driver with no claims history help in this situation? What other factors can influence the premium? Would going for a smaller car (1.2 or 1) and/or getting a hybrid with low emissions help?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Skoochie

Hi there

I saw that I’ve breakdown assistance on my policy if I have to use it during the year would my insurance go up the next year? Does it effect your no claims bonus?

edora91 wrote: »
    Hi Christine,
    I recently changed a full EU license to an Irish license with view to making my insurance a bit easier to quote. Seeing that I have just under 3 years on my license and no insurance history or no claims bonus, what other steps would help bring the premium down?
    Would getting a named driver with no claims history help in this situation? What other factors can influence the premium? Would going for a smaller car (1.2 or 1) and/or getting a hybrid with low emissions help?
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Edora91,

This is a great question and one that is often asked. It is great to hear that you now have your full Irish drivers licence and the next step is to get driving experience. This can be as either a policyholder yourself or as a named driver on someone else's policy.

Given your circumstances (i.e. no driving history), I would recommend that you become a named driver on someone else's policy for a minimum of one full year. This will satisfy the driving experience criteria that many insurers require.

Other factors will certainly influence the premium. These include year of car, engine size and additional drivers.

The very best of luck in getting started and if we can be of any help, please get in touch.

Have a lovely evening, thanks again for the question.

Kind regards,
    Christine

Skoochie wrote: »
    Hi there

I saw that I’ve breakdown assistance on my policy if I have to use it during the year would my insurance go up the next year? Does it effect your no claims bonus?

Good evening,

Another very common question and one that is very easy to answer. Breakdown assistance will not affect your no claims bonus in any way. In addition, our breakdown assistance includes Home Start. This means that if you walk out your door and realise there is a problem with your car (even a flat tyre), we are there for you! All you need to do is call the number on your policy documents and we will come right to your door.

Thanks for posting this evening,

Kind regards,
    Christine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Skoochie

That’s great thanks I didn’t know it included home start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Whats the oldest car you'll insure or do you do classic car insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Kenjataimu

Thanks for joining with your question.

Under our criteria, we will insure vehicles up to 15 years old.

At present, 04, 05 and 06 models must have been owned by the insured for a minimum of 1 year. Currently, we do not provide cover for classic cars.

Many thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Hi All,

Thank you for taking part in [font=Calibri","sans-serif]our first AMA with a Bank of Ireland Insurance Professional.[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Everyone who submitted a query has been sent a PM so you can be entered into our [font=Calibri","sans-serif]free draw to win One Year’s free Motor or Home Insurance.[/font][/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif][font=Calibri","sans-serif]Please see PM for details.[/font][/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif][font=Calibri","sans-serif]Good luck[/font][/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif][font=Calibri","sans-serif]John[/font][/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone who entered our Free Draw for One Years Free Home or Motor Insurance.

We have reviewed the answers we received to the question 'If money was no object what car would you buy and why'?

Jensen Spoiled Salesman

Jensen Spoiled Salesman to claim your prize - please send us a PM here with your full name and mobile number and an Insurance Advisor will be in contact shortly.

Many Thanks

John

Advertisement