uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-06-2019, 18:35   #16
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by Emma_995 View Post
Yes we have looked for cheaper places and there is not much out there cheaper if not more also who accepts dogs as they can’t go any where else we have no family here and are apart of family! Yes I receive a payment and help out with bills ect...but unfortunately doesn’t help as much
No offence but I wouldn't say anything that could give the impression that you need a council house because houses with cheaper rent don't accept dogs.....(I had dogs most of life, so not a dog hater by any means).
lcwill is offline  
12-06-2019, 20:07   #17
Registered User
Gatling's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20,595
By the sounds of it you will likely need separate housing applications your parents on one and you on the other if your an adult ,
Cluid won't deal with people directly you have to be referred by the council once you or your parents are accepted to the housing list and even at that you could well be looking at a 10 + year wait to be housed by them
Gatling is offline  
12-06-2019, 20:57   #18
Mrs OBumble
Registered User
Mrs OBumble's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18,194
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
By the sounds of it you will likely need separate housing applications your parents on one and you on the other if your an adult ,
I had a very similar thought while pondering this situation. what's more, if the OP is now in college, they may be deemed as not having a housing need if they are able to pay €500/month rent-equivalent at the moment. However if it could be shown that they need to live in the house to care for a sick parent, that could change things.

My first question would be: what is the parents plan for dealing with the situation, and indeed for housing themselves once the mother retires. They may well have a plan (eg using savings) that hasn't been shared with the OP as yet, and may not regarded it as the OP's business, even. Some families won't see it that way, but some definitely will.

Next: what income is the mother earning? We don't actually even know if they meet the social housing criteria - though obviously they will short term while she recovers from the surgery. (Have the doctors given any indication of how long recovery is likely to take? Since the mother has been working, she will most likely qualify for Illness Benefit, and will get a qualified-adult payment for the father, too. Whether or not there's a top-up for the OP depends on his/her age, I think.

Who can help? Citizen's Information is one obvious port of call. They have information about benefit rates and approaches. Threshold may have a local office. Vincent de Paul also help with cash / food sometimes. It is worth approaching local voluntary housing associations (Clúid, Respond, etc) - many of their properties are let via the council - but some aren't. Make sure that you have information about the mother's disability, because there are council / social houses which are available to older/disabled which aren't available to others.
Mrs OBumble is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Remove Text Formatting

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Share Tweet