Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Long Lost EIGHTIES Irish Pop Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Spyder Simpson.

Sadly taken away too soon.

Loved this one.

https://youtu.be/4t_pxtxJOkE

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

This popped up on Soundcloud today...
    Into Paradise - Theres a Mountain
    Listen to Theres a mountain by Into Paradise on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/into-paradise-supernaut/theres-a-mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Well, it mightn't be pop, but he's Irish and it's from 1987 so I'm going to shoehorn it in here anyway. Love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

STB. wrote: »
    A few of them already posted Marengo...

The Stars of Heaven - Sacred Heart Hotel (1986)

The ultimate " should have been.." Irish band. Stunning song. I still listen to them all the time. Also, check out "Scott Millar Said" by Stephen Ryan's post Stars band, the Revenants. Once nominated as the best Irish song ever, and I'd find it hard to disagree. A fabulous, moving song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

anewme wrote: »
    Spyder Simpson.

Sadly taken away too soon.

Loved this one.

https://youtu.be/4t_pxtxJOkE

Jaysus. Had forgotten that song. One song always reminds me of another. In this case Allies - Half a World Away (you won't even find that on youtube). Around the same time as Jump the Gun.

• Advertisement

"The music, man. Artistes, like Fainne Lasta, Raithneach, Amhann na Ngealach, Clannad. You like them artistes? Their music? Of course you do. - On The Streets with Jerry Lynch" :)

Siúil A Rún also a great song from that era. Closer to your Heart wasn't bad either and more pop.

Clannad - Newgrange (1983)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Dublin band Power Of Dreams with "All Because" from 1988. These boys had some fine tunes in the late 80's and early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Well, it mightn't be pop, but he's Irish and it's from 1987 so I'm going to shoehorn it in here anyway. Love this.

"Ask Rory Gallagher".

- Hendrix on being asked what it felt like being the world's greatest guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Ah poor Spyder - I remember him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It's great having YouTube now to look up songs.

Not able to find The Memories and Oh Maryann :(

So many of these bands back doing gigs again.
    Would like to go to this.

https://www.vicarstreet.com/component/thelist/show/1513-the-memories-live-at-vicar-st-live-in-vicar-street-58-59-thomas-street-Dublin-8-on-26-Feb-2020.html?Itemid=1513

• Advertisement

This is just great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anyone remember a band called Sacre Bleu? Maybe they were more 1970s than 80s, although I certainly remember seeing them live around about 1979-80 time.

They were terrific live although I remember their few single records were a bit disappointing.

Nostalgia.....

Also, in a completely different vein, I would kill or at least pay decent money to get my hands on the first Scullion album. Now they were a terrific folk/contemporary band.

Anyone remember a band called Sacre Bleu? Maybe they were more 1970s than 80s, although I certainly remember seeing them live around about 1979-80 time.

They were terrific live although I remember their few single records were a bit disappointing.

Nostalgia.....

Also, in a completely different vein, I would kill or at least pay decent money to get my hands on the first Scullion album. Now they were a terrific folk/contemporary band.

Might be worth your while chasing these up

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1335287&ev=mb

and sure while we're on the Scullion topic, I remember this one from the wet Summer of '86:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

BOSTIK wrote: »
    and sure while we're on the Scullion topic, I remember this one from the wet Summer of '86:

Great band. Remember they used to play regularly in Pat Egans backstage bar in mid or late 80s with no cover charge. Always gave a good show.

If you're a Scullion fan.

I loved this particular version of Arc Of A Diver by Philip King.
    I hadn't heard it in decades and requested it on Ronan Collins show some time ago.
    Some pedantic person messaged in to say that it wasn't the original, which was by Steve Winwood.

Loved Ronan's reaction.
    As if to say, "and...?"

https://abjectrecords.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/philip-king/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

New Scullion compilation in the shops

Vinyl costs twice as much as the CD and contains just over half the tracks. How things change.

Sonny Condell with a tache that Tom Selleck would have been proud of.

Not a decent version of Oh Carol out there though. There's a vinyl rip on youtube, but it's scratched to bits.

Tuam band Blaze X released this track in 1980 "Some Hope" It got a bit of airplay on RTE Radio 2 (2 fm) at the time. Larry Gogan's "Hit Pick Of The Week" and Dave Fanning's Rock Show. Blaze X members included Davy Carton (Sawdoctors) This got a mention earlier in the thread

But the B-side "Rippy" is a much better track imo although it was banned by RTE because it was written about The Yorkshire Ripper

Nice 1986 instrumental from Stockton's Wing.

Probably a bit of a stretch to describe it as pop, but it definitely got played on Radio 2

• Advertisement

This track made no. 11 in the Irish Singles Chart in 1987. I had this album on cassette, don't know where it is now

No mistaking the decade with this one anyway. The YouTube blurb mentions that it was used as the theme music for the TV series "Freeze Frame", which I don't remember much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Rory Gallagher - Ride on Red, Ride On... from 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLJW-VQB2M

Microdisney - Birthday Girl (1985) Loved this at the time. Still do

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bmmb88

Katmandu. I remember going to see them in The Baggot Inn on Sunday nights
    in 1980. Underrated band. Marty Lundy, the lead singer just recently died. I remember him as very friendly and used to come into the audience to chat after the gigs. Did a great version of Jealous Guy http://www.irishnews.com/news/2020/04/16/news/tributes-paid-to-katmandu-frontman-marty-lundy-who-died-this-week-1903801/.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=i+can+make+the+future&&view=detail&mid=A86E8EB4D24B83D5ACAFA86E8EB4D24B83D5ACAF&rvsmid=02CC5A801ACCE7BE960A02CC5A801ACCE7BE960A&FORM=VDRVRV

Who remembers this from the washout Summer of 1986? Apparently the Dutch liked it anyway.

STB. wrote: »
    Sonny Condell with a tache that Tom Selleck would have been proud of.

Not a decent version of Oh Carol out there though. There's a vinyl rip on youtube, but it's scratched to bits.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/11210709

@27.50 Ronan Collins always plays the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Great thread. Just found it now. And Princess Bride is one of my top films.

Still know nearly all the guys in the Dublin bands here plus so many more who never got noticed.

Harvest Ministers. - Will Merriman could have been Van Morrison - certainly contrary enough.

Revenants. Horse of a different colour. Great album from Stars of Heavan Refugees. Some of it is on youtube though not "Speak Slowly" one of the best songs ever written. If you ever break up with someone you love; play it

"Jump Iceland" anyone there?

Would bes ????

Housebroken?? Great band before Robert Arkins got sucked into Hollywood

Good times, Baggot Inn, Sportsmans Inn, Underground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Truthvader wrote: »

Would bes ????

In the 18 month period ending around April 1992, I saw them play live a dozen times. Including a support slot with Morrissey at the legendary National Stadium gig of 27 April 1991.

I think signing to Decoy was a rum move. They did not know how to properly market the band. The second EP was called Silly Songs For Cynical People. DYS 18T. It had four tracks. Some months afterwards, Decoy released an eight track LP with an identical sleeve aside from the removal of the letters EP. DYL 18. The other four songs were from the 12″ of I’m Hardly Ever Wrong. In 2015, they released a 12″ for Record Store Day – Bittersweet – which contained a so-so new song and the four tracks from the March 1990 Peel Session including legendary live favourite Must It Be along with Julie-sung versions of Funny Ha Ha and My Radio Sounds Different In The Dark.

If you buy the Japanese CD of Silly Songs For Cynical People you get all 11 tracks from those first three 12″s and have possibly the greatest Irish debut that never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

In the 18 month period ending around April 1992, I saw them play live a dozen times. Including a support slot with Morrissey at the legendary National Stadium gig of 27 April 1991.

I think signing to Decoy was a rum move. They did not know how to properly market the band. The second EP was called Silly Songs For Cynical People. DYS 18T. It had four tracks. Some months afterwards, Decoy released an eight track LP with an identical sleeve aside from the removal of the letters EP. DYL 18. The other four songs were from the 12″ of I’m Hardly Ever Wrong. In 2015, they released a 12″ for Record Store Day – Bittersweet – which contained a so-so new song and the four tracks from the March 1990 Peel Session including legendary live favourite Must It Be along with Julie-sung versions of Funny Ha Ha and My Radio Sounds Different In The Dark.

If you buy the Japanese CD of Silly Songs For Cynical People you get all 11 tracks from those first three 12″s and have possibly the greatest Irish debut that never happened.

Whoa! Thats impressive info

Advertisement