Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best time to buy a watch?

• 07-04-2020 11:40am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well it seems to be a bit of a buyer's market at present, but what I am trying to ask is (in a nice way) at what age in a watch's life do you get the best bang for buck? I'm talking about modern watches as vintage watches are a whole different ball game.

Is it better to buy one brand new, with full warranty, it still has the plastic on the back etc etc. Or IMHO better to buy one a few months old with box and papers etc. still in warranty? Perhaps it's just a personal choice, not wanting a watch that has been worn by another person.

Or being a bit of a cheapskate like me do you prefer to wait a while and buy off a serial flipper at about 50-60% RRP a few months old?

Just wondering what are your thoughts?

On the vintage re-issue watches, Longines would be a typical example, I prefer the originals vs the re-issues. If the watch purchase price + the cost of a new strap and a service is half the cost of the modern equivalent then I think it's a no brainer to go for the original.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

blue5000 wrote: »

Or being a bit of a cheapskate like me do you prefer to wait a while and buy off a serial flipper at about 50-60% RRP a few months old?

Can't believe you singled out Eoin and Deep Thought like that..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Depends on the watch. Some you are better off buying new as they don't depreciate much at all like Rolex on the higher end and the likes of Vostok, some base Seikos and pretty much any half decent Chinese homage on the lower end. Even Steinharts.

In the middle there are watches that depreciate a bit straight away, but then keep most of their value like Omegas. And there are other watches that depreciate a lot in the first few years like Tag Heuer, Longines, etc.

What saves most money is to spend a lot of time searching. Isn't there something about that in the Bible? :p Fantastic bargains to be had. My own little game / challenge is to buy watches that, when the time comes to sell them on, I sell them for more than I bought them for. Or at least that I don't lose too much money on them. This makes watches a very cheap or even free hobby for me. Which is great when you have very expensive things to pay for with your very limited income like a mortgage, fixing your kids' teeth and getting them through college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

unkel wrote: »
    Which is great when you have very expensive things to pay for... like fixing your kids' teeth..

Are your kids Fitzgemes patients too? He'd probably take watches as part payment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Can't believe you singled out Eoin and Deep Thought like that..... :)

:eek:..ouch

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

:eek:..ouch

Nothing but love DT :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Nothing but love DT :)

:D, there is already a Q on TZ for my Sinn 104 ;)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

10 to 2 right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RMDrive wrote: »
    10 to 2 right?
    Or tin past tin, the time one ford fiat car passes another one:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't know the best time to buy a watch but when you need your kids teeth fixed the best time is 2:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Got this email from Watchfinder...

510996.png

As one of the powerhouses of the watch industry, Rolex is a brand that many aspire to own – something that has just become more and more difficult in recent years and even weeks. The impact sis visible across the industry worldwide with many brands having to cease manufacture and cancel new releases – and Rolex is one of them. It has halted all manufacturing for its timepieces, making availability of this sought-after brand significantly reduced.

But what if you had access to over 1,000 Rolex timepieces, both current and classic, right at your fingertips? With choice from the Deepsea, Rolex’s powerhouse diver; the Explorer, which has climbed to Mount Everest’s peak; the iconic Daytona racing chronograph, Paul Newman’s favourite; and the GMT-Master, a watch that’s floated in the zero gravity of space – amongst many others – here’s an opportunity to dig into a piece of history or grab yourself a contemporary masterpiece.

Seems to me that Watchfinder are experiencing a downturn in the number of watches sold and want to scare the last few people on the fence into buying before the recession hits and the number of people looking to buy expensive watches dries up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

They have a huge inventory. I would suggest multiples of what’s listed as being available. I remember I was tracking a few models and they only ever had one and sometimes none (hulks, 5711 and 5167s). Prices softened a touch and boom they had multiples available.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

893bet wrote: »
    They have a huge inventory. I would suggest multiples of what’s listed as being available. I remember I was tracking a few models and they only ever had one and sometimes none (hulks, 5711 and 5167s). Prices softened a touch and boom they had multiples available.

Over on TZ (and maybe here too) there was a discussion on the low ball offers they were giving on purchases, so it certain they’ve been artificially trying to increase the price (shock horror! )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Apart from the watches that went crazy over retail like the Hulk, I just can't see Rolex prices being impacted that much. From a AD point of view, demand is so much greater than supply, even when the demand takes a hit they'll still be walking out the door.

From a used point of view I really think the reductions will be small. People are getting themselves into a frenzy over the potential drop in Rolex prices to the extent that they are almost expecting to see a Yachmaster 40 on the bottom shelf of a poundland sometime soon. Not on here to be fair but that's the vibe I'm getting from elsewhere.

My gut feeling is that it is all the other brands just below Rolex in pricing that will take the brunt of it in price drops, Omega, Breitling, IWC etc. The guy that was going to buy one of them will buy a Rolex now because "now is the time to buy Rolex", even if it isn't the watch he wants. End result is there will be a lot more people buying bet up 1990 gold and SS date justs for 3.5k thinking they have the bargain of the century when they really wanted a sea master.

I'll caveat all the above by saying I'm still relatively inexperienced in the watch game but that's just how I see it panning out. The Rolex brand is just so strong.

redlead wrote: »
    Apart from the watches that went crazy over retail like the Hulk, I just can't see Rolex prices being impacted that much. From a AD point of view, demand is so much greater than supply, even when the demand takes a hit they'll still be walking out the door.

The first thing people stop buying in a global recession are luxury items that you don't really need. Rolex is one of those items. I agree the brand is strong and there is a clever artificial shortage so I can't see the prices going off a cliff. Rolex has completely stopped production too, which helps the price levels

But I'd say I'm not alone on here in that I hope the prices will come down to a more normal level. A €6k watch on the lower end of Rolex desirability that sells for more than its new price when it is 10 years old (and the older model) and clearly worn just is just not normal. Never mind those watches that sold for many thousands more than RRP. The arse will fall out of those prices. It's already happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

A €6k watch on the lower end of Rolex desirability that sells for more than its new price when it is 10 years old (and the older model) and clearly worn just is just not normal. Never mind those watches that sold for many thousands more than RRP. The arse will fall out of those prices. It's already happening

I agree there. Worn watches selling massively over retail will end but I guess the question is do we consider retail on a Rolex good value in the first place? There is considerable Rolex premium built into the prices already. It will certainly be interesting to see what price the 10 year old sub settles at. I just don't think they will be that much under. Time will tell if you pardon the pun.

214270 on TZ for 4100 sterling Unkel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

oxocube wrote: »
    Got this email from Watchfinder...

Seems to me that Watchfinder are experiencing a downturn in the number of watches sold and want to scare the last few people on the fence into buying before the recession hits and the number of people looking to buy expensive watches dries up.

I got that email too, fear has a funny smell, I reckon it could be watchfinder that's more scared than any of us.

214270 on TZ for 4100 sterling Unkel

That's €4690, and only because sterling is very strong at the moment. The sellers here in Ireland seem to think it is worth close to €6k :rolleyes:

Pity I can't see the sales corner. Any details, is it the post 2015 model?

That's €4690, and only because sterling is very strong at the moment. The sellers here in Ireland seem to think it is worth close to €6k :rolleyes:

Pity I can't see the sales corner. Any details, is it the post 2015 model?

Ireland is a smaller market. Asking prices are higher and demand is lower...strange enough.

It’s 2014 model. Full set.

If I'm spending that sort of money, I want the one that I want. So the post 2015 model. Interestingly the UK RRP has dropped to GBP5,200 (EUR5,955), I could have sworn it was several hundred sterling higher the last time I looked, a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Milgauss available under retail no problem and the GV model too, only the Z-blue goes over retail. Most two tones go under retail. All precious go under retail (that actually where the value lies in two tone and solid gold). Remember in this, that its not a Rolex Bubble its a "Certain models of Stainless Steel rolex" bubble. Its very few and very specific models only.

Remember there are a lot of people out their waiting for that cheap model you are after, and some will pull the trigger above your price. Irish market is fecked, all over the place. But it is handy to buy close to home and there are some good buys out there. Buy on condition and buy from a reliable source. There will be scams to beat the band. Also....make sure your getting the right number of links. A genuine link can cost you 100 euro or more. 11 links with most rolex out the box. Dealers love to keep the spare links but private sellers rarely do.

IMHO the Explorer should be below retail second hand, but not a huge ammount. Long term value retention is in the interests of both parties buyer and seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

As an exercise, I have been watching various price levels, brands and types, and certainly the overall impression now is stasis.
    There are lots of advertised watches, plenty of choice, but very little movement.

Offers, even low-ballers and trolls, have slowed to a crawl and I've seen very few sales.

Is anyone else seeing the same, or different?

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    As an exercise, I have been watching various price levels, brands and types, and certainly the overall impression now is stasis.
    There are lots of advertised watches, plenty of choice, but very little movement.

Offers, even low-ballers and trolls, have slowed to a crawl and I've seen very few sales.

Is anyone else seeing the same, or different?

Totally, whole thing is on pause. Transactions are minimal. When transactions are minimal there is no market. Also there is no new stock coming into the stalled market.

Trolls are worried that their offers will be accepted :pac:

Trolls are worried that their offers will be accepted :pac:

Even genuine buyers are worried their offers will be accepted :o

I think I'll take a step back and sit on the fence for a few months. Might need to be holding on to the cash that I have...

I committed to buy a watch last night at a great price but it seems I am in a que for it.

Half relieved.

Class watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Milgauss available under retail no problem and the GV model too, only the Z-blue goes over retail.

Do not understand this with the Milgauss. Lovely, lovely pieces!

Tempted from time to time but can never commit.

I committed to buy a watch last night at a great price but it seems I am in a que for it.

Half relieved.

Class watch though.

C'mon, spill the beans! What watch and at what price?

C'mon, spill the beans! What watch and at what price?

GS SBGX263 @ 1k gbp

GS SBGX263 @ 1k gbp

Class watch....great price, awesome price infact. This needs the thumbs up internet kid.....will dig him out

giphy.gif
    Gavin1 wrote: »
    Do not understand this with the Milgauss. Lovely, lovely pieces!

Tempted from time to time but can never commit.

When the Milgauss was released there was a lot of hype and watches were selling way above retail. It all came crashing down. This was before all the batman hype etc. Prices never fully recovered. Some would say spending 6 grands on a 12 year old watch that is 8k new is still madness, but in rolex land its a bargain. I think a lot of people dont like it, its too zany.
    Even genuine buyers are worried their offers will be accepted :o

I think I'll take a step back and sit on the fence for a few months. Might need to be holding on to the cash that I have...

Maybe not a bad idea, we wont know where prices are until transaction recommence. I see Watchfinder only have 3 explorers for sale...very few.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Irish 214270 Explorer sold for €5,800 - a good bit more than the seller offered it to me for. Someone seriously overpaid here, hopefully not one of the regulars in here! The full RRP in the UK is GBP5,200 and it looks like the waiting list is nearly zero for these watches...

I guess if you really want a watch now and are prepared to pay a thousand more than what it is worth, power to you. That's how we get these inflated prices in the first place. Don't get me wrong, this is not a rant and I'm not giving out about any buyer or seller, this is just the way it is.

Advertisement