Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Twas another beautiful day in Arklow
    Gin blue skies and hardly a breeze
    Became cloudy in the evening but dry
    Feeling very mild out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It has been raining non stop for two days... Depressing.

Ye’ve been very unlucky, hopefully it clears up down there too. After the cold snap of Sunday/Monday it looks like picking up again into next week.

The clarity of the blue sky’s offset by the vibrant green of the new growth on the trees has been stunning here again today on the Easy coast, California like, unusually low humidity too I think?

KODtVNehrnpujm_Qa4OzLdSidoN1vXPJiozJasJMTL0-1536x2048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hoping for some rain here in Kilkenny, there has been very little in the last month, and only 0.7mm so far this month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

RobertKK wrote: »
    Hoping for some rain here in Kilkenny, there has been very little in the last month, and only 0.7mm so far this month.

We have had plenty of it in the last 48 hours or so down here. You`re welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »
    If it's sunny on Sunday, you're fair skinned and you decide to go for a long walk, don't forget to put on sunscreen. Even if it feels very cold, it makes no difference to the burn time, whether it's 8c or 28c. A lot of people get bad sunburn around this time of the year when we get a cold snap with sunny weather as those same people associate only warm sunny weather with burning. If the sun is high to in the sky, it's strong. Although not pure science, a good way to think about it is if your Shadow from the sun is shorter than you, you're at risk of burning.

Got 36hrs of sun during four days last weekend... tanned as a Spaniard I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absolutely pelting rain in cork city all of a sudden, woke.me.up!

Edit: looked like a heavy shower alright RJK7Wf8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Rain in North Kerry at the moment. My garden will grow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Whoa, absolutely lashing down here in cork. Woke me up from my sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nothing again for north Kilkenny.
    Mistake earlier, it’s 0.2mm for the month.
    I wish it would rain, seems unable to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Whoa, absolutely lashing down here in cork. Woke me up from my sleep

Woke me too, fair heavy. Another grim day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

What a sensational spring it has been .......here in Dublin anyway. I can recall about 3-4 actual days of any meaningful rain in over 2 months, it’s been unbelievably dry and sunny for the main part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sun coming through again. Boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another miserable cold wet morning here. Can someone tell me where the dividing line is between the good and the bad weather. The situation in cork as reported is similar to south Tipp how far north or east/west of us is the good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Looks like another cracking today in Dublin again. Warmer than the ladt few days as well

Still raining and cold in cork city as Rebel said. Heating on again this morning. Some hope yet though, Saturday looks like it should be warm for us down here hopefully. Carlow weather also mentioning that the cloud should clear throughout the morning fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overcast but dry as a bone here in south Laois. Just 0.2mm thus far this May - which fell on the 1st.

10cm Soil temperatures are 14.3c which is rather high for this time of year. Growth is slow enough though owing to the dryness, and a persistent breeze this week is sucking any remaining moisture out of the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

Very pleasant in North Kildare all morning with good sunny spells. The sun feels especially warm this morning, owing to the light winds and higher humidity. Back doors are wide open since 9am. Although not wall to wall sunshine, the increase in warmth is making this the nicest morning in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Drought in Sligo since March 18th with just 26mm since then after 245mm in February

We might see another 2mm of rain today but mainly dry for many of the next 10 days . Grass yellow now on sides of paths

16c today so far after 20.6c yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

I see that soil moisture deficits have now exceeded 50mm in the Dublin region and are close to exceeding that in many eastern parts. That is pretty extreme for the time of year. With little rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future combined with the fact that we are still 6 weeks from the summer solstice (so therefore the potential for the sun to dry the ground out at ever faster rates increases for another 6 weeks, based on sun strength alone) means that we are at a very high risk of entering a severe drought this summer should current rainfall trends continue.

Thankfully, by typing out this very message I have probably jinxed the whole summer and it will be a complete washout :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most summers are a complete washout so I think we'll be ok. I find it crazy how quickly we begin to talk about drought after having 6 months or so of what seemed like constant downpours. We mustn't manage our water supplies very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate shower in Kildare now. The smell of petrichor is intoxicating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a few heavy showers last night, ground is bone dry again already and sun is trying to come out, much warmer than recent days at 16C. Could get to 17 or 18C later on. A warm 3 days ahead, could get to 21C on Saturday before the Sunday plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

According to met.ie radar it is now dry in Cork. But it's not- it is pouring again. My 80 year old dad still hasnt left the house since Tuesdays lickdown was lifted as he has yet to have a chance. This is crazy.

Cloudy all day in Dublin 5 and now it's starting to rain. Disappointed I thought today would be nice but it doesn't feel that warm and it's quite breezy too!

I am in Dublin 5 and no rain here today. Cloudier today but had sunshine earlier. I think it’s quite pleasant out there

I am in Dublin 5 and no rain here today. Cloudier today but had sunshine earlier. I think it’s quite pleasant out there

That's weird, stopped now but was coming down for nearly 10 mins, no wait it's still going, lightly...

Phoenix park in Dublin the warmest part of the country at 12pm today at 18 degrees according to met Éireann

Small bit of sun and blue sky starting to appear down here in cork city at last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A change in Castlebar today, dull and overcast with persistent misty rain most of the morning and only 13C.

Advertisement