Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starlink in Dublin

• 08-04-2020 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to see the starlink satellites with the naked eye the last few weeks and can't, im using apps to get the time and location but maybe ita just the light pollution in Dublin.

For reference on a clear night i can easily see orions belt.

Is it just not possible to see them in the city lets say within the m50?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

I saw them about ten days ago In Cork City but they are dimmer than the space station so not as easy to see. From following VirtualAstro on Twitter they are difficult at present because the moon is so bright. Apparently they will be easier to see in a few weeks. Also the sky hasn’t been fully dark here when they went over in the last week or so.
    Use the link https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/ to tell you where to look and at what time (there are 14 of them at 9.53 tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Starlink 5,6 is the only train left visible to the naked eye.The other trains are too spread out.I'v been looking out for it but cloud cover has been a problem all week.
    I'v checked out the weather for next week and tues14 and wed15 morning may be clear enough to see starlink 5,6.
    https://findstarlink.com/#742;3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Beersmith wrote: »
    I've been trying to see the starlink satellites with the naked eye the last few weeks and can't, im using apps to get the time and location but maybe ita just the light pollution in Dublin.

For reference on a clear night i can easily see orions belt.

Is it just not possible to see them in the city lets say within the m50?
    I saw them a couple of months ago from south Dublin just inside the M50 but it wasn't trivial to spot them even on a good clear night. I needed the magnitude to be below 3.0 or so, and even then I could only see them when above approx. 50 degrees altitude. That was after giving my eyes a fair bit of dark adjustment time, and looking up to the east so as not to be put off by twilight in the west. That meant the sats were coming over your head from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they only seem to be visible in the wee hours :( any chance they'll pass during the evening time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

fryup wrote: »
    they only seem to be visible in the wee hours :( any chance they'll pass during the evening time?
    They'll come around to evening time eventually. They're always within an hour or two of sunset or sunrise.

• Advertisement

Another 60 being launched next thurs 16th@21.30.
    I believe they are at their brightest just after launchhttps://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It'll be some craic when there's 20,000 of the yokes up there, and Musk want's to sail to Mars, sure he'll only collide with these on the way up towards the red planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I've only ever seen them shortly after sunset or the darkness before sunrise. In the dead of night I've not seen them at all.

upupup wrote: »
    Another 60 being launched next thurs 16th@21.30.

another 60 :eek: surely this will only contribute to space junk?? is there any limit to the amount of satellites in orbit?

another 60 :eek: surely this will only contribute to space junk?? is there any limit to the amount of satellites in orbit?

The plan is 60 every two weeks for the rest of the year.12,000 is the goal for now which might be extended to 42,000:eek:

• Advertisement

and who gave him the greenlight to do this?

* and no mention of it on tonight's Sky at Night

a few bright evening passes this weekend

https://findstarlink.com/#744;3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Am I reading right that tonight has a few passes? Clear sky so might be perfect! Brightest one after 2300?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

g0g wrote: »
    Am I reading right that tonight has a few passes? Clear sky so might be perfect! Brightest one after 2300?
    hope so still never seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good one coming up tonight:

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

Showtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Thargor wrote: »
    Showtime...

What’s happening

Well that was a bit of a damp squib tbh, never more than 3 moving in the sky at once, to read about it you'd think there was some amazing train of lights in the sky.

Never saw Venus that bright though, its massive in the sky tonight.

maybe its the early morning passes that are bright?

Maybe, or maybe you need to see them right after launch before they disperse?

That comet that was supposed to have a chance of being the best one in years has apparently broken up and wont be visible at all now by the way:

https://www.space.com/comet-swan-arrives-as-comet-atlas-crumbles.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was out in relatively dark skies and saw nothing earlier this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

https://twitter.com/AstronomyIRL/status/1257377415178989569?s=19

Might be be visible in next half hour if sky is clear....

i'm surprised astronomy ireland are giving the heads up to this, thought they consider it a pest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Anyone seen this? clear night tonight, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

nope saw nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

on the plus side there is a bright pass from the ISS at 0422 for night owls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

i'm surprised astronomy ireland are giving the heads up to this, thought they consider it a pest

I recall late last year the general consensus from the Astronomy Community was one of “horrified” with regard to the scale of the launches and the potential interference to Astro Photography and Observation of the existing night sky.

^^^^^^^

and is that still the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

on the plus side there is a bright pass from the ISS at 0422 for night owls

I think you mean for early risers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

meh, think I'll wait for the 20,000 or so, that way won't miss them (or won't be able to).

Do however wonder what some of those indigenous tribes on the upper Amazon would think, even seeing a dozen of 'em in sequence streaking across the sky.

Advertisement