Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extending roof height in bungalow

• 21-10-2016 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭

Im looking at extending into the roof of our bungalow and had an idea in my head of raising the outside walls by 4' and increasing the roof pitch to give as much floor space as possible upstairs. Spoke with a builder who said that raising the walls means that there will be steel required to 'hold' the roof and stop it spreading out. I currently don't have any headroom in the attic.

This makes sense as the tie beam (is that what its called?) needs to connect the outside wall. Are there any other ways of achieving this?

This is what im hoping to achieve without additional steel

e7c06eb0583b5f7ff40a7d885be15f85.jpg

Rather than this

attic.jpg
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjB4vWs9evPAhVE7xQKHcg2CTUQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F435652963926465313%2F&bvm=bv.136499718,d.ZGg&psig=AFQjCNGQHtp-SM_CzAlsCdIXDhSl2_V-eQ&ust=1477139961196884

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have you thought about your planning requirements?

Adding 4" to the external wall may be the easy bit but the loads from the roof still have to be transferred down and that's where the steel comes in I presume.

What height increase do you expect to gain and will it be worth the considerable cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

A few neighbours have already raised the pitch and got 3 double bedrooms in, in raising the wall I'd hope to get a similar floor space as the ground, a bit less but better than just raising the pitch.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

when there is no structural "tie" between the rafters and floor joists then in most cases steel is required, or engineered trusses.

in your example there is no tie.

what you want to do requires planing permission and requires structural engineers input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

sydthebeat wrote: »
    when there is no structural "tie" between the rafters and floor joists then in most cases steel is required, or engineered trusses.

in your example there is no tie.

what you want to do requires planing permission and requires structural engineers input.

Thanks, I'm aware of the planning etc. Is there a particular name for these engineered trusses?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

xabi wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm aware of the planning etc. Is there a particular name for these engineered trusses?

nope,

a 'truss roof' is prefabricated

a 'cut roof' is built on site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 LilianMacA

Hi Xabi, did you go ahead with the upwards extension? I'm considering doing the same and I'm looking for a general idea of how much it would cost... Appreciate any help! Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I have this done on a standard Irish bungalow in Passive plus about a year ago. Although it can make the building look a bit odd, they used external insulation which bulked out the walls and the final house was in my opinion more attractive and more traditional stylistically than before.

Advertisement