Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Water Table on site tested, should we build elsewhere?

• 05-04-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice with regard to trying to decide on which site we should build on.

We had chosen a 1 acre site down a private laneway and had the site suitability test done recently. The drainage was okay but because the water table was high we will have to have a raised percolation area sewerage treatment. A well will also be required as there is no mains water. I was just wondering does the high water table affect the build of the house itself? The potential area of the house was dug down to about 1.4m and was still at sand level but I am quite nervous because it is a wetter area. We also would need to get a right of way from 22 other landowners down the private laneway which shouldn't be an issue cos other people have got it on that road but I'm just worried the costings are starting to really add up with this site. It was our favourite site based on the location and the fact it was in a private area but I am worried the high water level will just be messy and could cause problems down the line.

We have another site option that is closer to my family home that has access to the mains water. The land is much dryer and my father had planning permission for houses in that field about 15 years ago. It wouldn't need a raised percolation area and is on a normal road so we would not need right of way. However beside this field there is a vegetable factory that we would probably want to block out with trees or a garage and it is closer to a busy road so it is not a peaceful. It is also closer to my family home which ideally we possibly would have liked to have been further away from.

We had initially preferred the first site but because the water table was so high and a few other factors we are very worried that the costs seem to be going up very quickly. would raised percolation, a well, solicitor's letters for right of way be adding a lot onto the cost and could the high water table be a problem particularly around wetter times of the year?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Whats the site topography?
    Is it down in a hollow?
    What have other house builders in the laneway done.
    Re not living near your family, they wont live for ever

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement