Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career path in health science, am I making a huge mistake?

Options
  • 09-03-2020 9:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Place available on a pre-registration physio masters.

Initially coming out of structural engineering which was a nice degree but ultimately one my old couple would spend 10's of thousands on for a qualification which would be pretty much useless to me.

Retrained in sports science related discipline and based predominantly there since, major aspect of appeal being I choose my own hours and work typically between 25 to 30 hour weeks, versus 50 to 60 hour engineering work weeks.

Personal interests - blah blah blah - this is where everyone blows smoke up their own ass, "well I have a diverse set up personal interests....", yeah yeah yeah, STFU!!

So with that being said, personal interest is primarily the nervous system.
    The nervous system, mixed with some physics, some quantum mechanics, basically wave properties of cellular function - sounds incredibly bro science, but seems not uncharacteristic with a variety of disciplines attempting to emulate neural function - AI being one obvious one.

Bottom line is, whatever-TF my interests might be, I still need a day job to pay the bills.
    I did my current qualification at a less than level 8 grade so I need something more recognized and comprehensive.

Physio always seemed the go to cause I'm well versed in sports science already, thorough anatomical understanding and interest in neurology - so musculoskeletal and neurology comprising two main areas of physio already.

Basically I can maintain my current working life of 25 to 30 hour weeks whilst upping my rates and not looking like a certificate level charlaton in the eyes of Mr and Mrs general public.

Other options I had explored relative to nervous system functionality was drug science, neuroscience, basically similar/same - for which post grad options also exist but, working life is not 9 to 5. It's basically engineering all over again, where it limits the ability to pursue ulterior interests and you gotta be super dialled into this one small piece of one small research project etc.

Pharmacy also an option (strikes me as an extremely cruisey number), naturally encapsulating understanding of the nervous system - but it's 5 years back with undergrads so realistically, not actually an option.

Any thoughts?
    Does physio seems like the best possible fit, to facilitate my own life/own working hours lifestyle?

What else should I be considering?
    Biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, physiologist, some kind of biological science?
    What you got for me?

PS - radiographer seemed decent option, unsure of typical timetable - not sure if it's a "choose your own hours" type role. Post grad pre-reg in a couple of outlets, could swing it. Opinions welcome (on hours, work life, lifestyle etc)

Comments

Place available on a pre-registration physio masters.

Initially coming out of structural engineering which was a nice degree but ultimately one my old couple would spend 10's of thousands on for a qualification which would be pretty much useless to me.

Retrained in sports science related discipline and based predominantly there since, major aspect of appeal being I choose my own hours and work typically between 25 to 30 hour weeks, versus 50 to 60 hour engineering work weeks.

Personal interests - blah blah blah - this is where everyone blows smoke up their own ass, "well I have a diverse set up personal interests....", yeah yeah yeah, STFU!!

So with that being said, personal interest is primarily the nervous system.
    The nervous system, mixed with some physics, some quantum mechanics, basically wave properties of cellular function - sounds incredibly bro science, but seems not uncharacteristic with a variety of disciplines attempting to emulate neural function - AI being one obvious one.

Bottom line is, whatever-TF my interests might be, I still need a day job to pay the bills.
    I did my current qualification at a less than level 8 grade so I need something more recognized and comprehensive.

Physio always seemed the go to cause I'm well versed in sports science already, thorough anatomical understanding and interest in neurology - so musculoskeletal and neurology comprising two main areas of physio already.

Basically I can maintain my current working life of 25 to 30 hour weeks whilst upping my rates and not looking like a certificate level charlaton in the eyes of Mr and Mrs general public.

Other options I had explored relative to nervous system functionality was drug science, neuroscience, basically similar/same - for which post grad options also exist but, working life is not 9 to 5. It's basically engineering all over again, where it limits the ability to pursue ulterior interests and you gotta be super dialled into this one small piece of one small research project etc.

Pharmacy also an option (strikes me as an extremely cruisey number), naturally encapsulating understanding of the nervous system - but it's 5 years back with undergrads so realistically, not actually an option.

Any thoughts?
    Does physio seems like the best possible fit, to facilitate my own life/own working hours lifestyle?

What else should I be considering?
    Biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, physiologist, some kind of biological science?
    What you got for me?

PS - radiographer seemed decent option, unsure of typical timetable - not sure if it's a "choose your own hours" type role. Post grad pre-reg in a couple of outlets, could swing it. Opinions welcome (on hours, work life, lifestyle etc)

Realistically. You are looking at 5 years before you actually make money from pharmacy. As an aside, community and hospital pharmacy is incredibly stressful. Not sure it's the best career for you if you want an easy life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Realistically. You are looking at 5 years before you actually make money from pharmacy. As an aside, community and hospital pharmacy is incredibly stressful. Not sure it's the best career for you if you want an easy life.

Stressful....

Really?

Well I guess in one sense I'm glad to hear it cause it makes me regret my career guidance teachers advice a little less.

But stressful how?

When I see them they're typically putting pills into a bottle and tell old ladies not to eat grapefruit with their medication.

Not to necessarily makes this a competition but, the only professional job role I've had that a truly found stressful was as a building contract engineer.
    Up at 5:30 am 6 days a week for your commute to be on site at 6:45 am.
    Dealing groups of angry labourers, carpenters and dudes that are basically surly, mean, discontent and difficult to manage - working around insane machinery with one false move can cripple you or at best, mangle one of your limbs (as happened one of the workers on a site right before my eyes).

Answering to administrators that live for the work, die hard sumbitches pushing pushing pushing for faster work, better results every day.
    One mistake in calculations costing days of work and 10's of thousands, creates insane hastle for crews that depend on your work and everyone on the site hates you until the mistake is corrected - and trying to do all that with little real interest in what you're doing; you're just there to collect your paycheck.
    6 days of 10 to 12 hour days or, nightshifts (which is actually easier cause lower people density means less bullshinanigans).

To me that's stress - fuck that noise.

So, in contrast to that - community pharmacy - stressful?

Not to knock the responsibility associated with the position but, I'll need more convincing that working in a cushy little shop submitting orders and counting pills has comparable stress.

Stressful....

Really?

Well I guess in one sense I'm glad to hear it cause it makes me regret my career guidance teachers advice a little less.

But stressful how?

When I see them they're typically putting pills into a bottle and tell old ladies not to eat grapefruit with their medication.

Not to necessarily makes this a competition but, the only professional job role I've had that a truly found stressful was as a building contract engineer.
    Dealing groups of angry labourers, carpenters and dudes that are basically surly, mean, discontent and difficult to manage - working around insane machinery with one false move can cripple you or at best, mangle one of your limbs (as happened one of the workers on a site right before my eyes).

Answering to administrators that live for the work, die hard sumbitches pushing pushing pushing for faster work, better results every day.
    One mistake in calculations costing days of work and 10's of thousands, creates insane hastle for crews that depend on your work and everyone on the site hates you until the mistake is corrected - and trying to do all that with little real interest in what you're doing; you're just there to collect your paycheck.
    6 days of 10 to 12 hour days or, nightshifts (which is actually easier cause lower people density means less bullshinanigans).

Not to knock the responsibility associated with the position but, I'll need more convincing that working in a cushy little shop submitting orders and counting pills has comparable stress.

Well, why do you think pharmacists get paid so much? In community, you are also managing people, also, if you make a mistake, it can lead to somebody dying as directly. Do many structural engineers end up in the coroner's court?

Community pharmacists rarely get any breaks as the pharmacy has to close if they are not being the counter. You are also at higher risk of burglary assault as people love to rob you for the MDAs.

I work in hospital mostly but community pharmacists definitely earn their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Community pharmacy is a lot more than "working in a cushy little shop submitting orders and counting pills has comparable stress".
    I'm not a pharmacist but have enough relatives/friends in the business to hear and know how responsible and stressful a job it is.

Keeping on top of new drug formulations, regulations etc.
    Watching out for the fake/stolen prescriptions from the chancers (my friends tend to get very very quick at spotting them. )
    Overseeing the complex drug regimes of people with long term community managed conditions e.g. MS, cancer etc.

You have to have excellent people skills as a good community pharmacy business relies on good relationships with patients who tend to come back year after year. And with drug reps, GPs etc

Lots of people with science type degrees think they can do pharmacy without realising the complexity of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I would also not recommend radiography if you want an easy life. You will not get to choose your hours and there will be a mandatory on call component (eg going in at 3am because somebody with a stroke needs a CT scan).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 gawdd

Stressful....

Really?

But stressful how?

I understand that sounds quite stressful but you can't say throwaway comments like "putting pills in a bottle" when you asked for peoples opinions.

Ive worked in both community and hospital and had to leave the former due to the stress. Both difficult jobs but community was a HUNDRED TIMES MORE STRESSFUL.

You asked for examples:
    -I was meant to work 40 hours a week but it usually ended up being 50.
    - I would work 10 hours a day constantly on my feet with no breaks and sometimes if was lucky id get 10 mins to eat( most times the girls would heat my food so i could wolf it down)
    - A constant stream of orders which take about 15 mins each to process, print labels, ensure correct scheme and paperwork and collecting and checking- but also dealing with people getting impatient
    - fighting with patients because they are demanding a medicine which they dont have an valid script for (or never had)
    - fighting with patients cause their medicine unfortunately isn't covered by their med card an/or various reasons (and then their is the cascade that beings as other patients standing round cant understand why you cant process a script faster than 5 mins)
    - being pestered when you go toilet cause there is a patient DEMANDING to see the pharmacist
    - ringing (again mostly fighting) with doctors due to unsafe doses or incorrect prescriptions
    - a lot of administration/ schemes/obstacles that even the PCRS can't give much info on when you ring for advice
    - forged scripts- one time i refused to give a full script and said look ill give you 5 days until we can clarify (there v smart come in on sats or after 5 knowing the doctor is closed to verify) i was verbally abused and threatened to be killed whilst the other half thrashed the shop and stole items. gardai called.
    - I've had friends held in hostage situations-one by a gun, another by a syringe threatening to be HIV + and another by a shard of glass
    - prescription errors anxiety- mistakes happen when you work 10 hours with no or little breaks.
    - unrealistic demands by management- OTC sales, prescription numbers, flu vaccine quotas
    - there is a general shortage of pharmacists and technicians so very little support in most shops.
    - medicine shortages and dealing with stressed/difficult patients
    - generic medicines - fighting with patients who demand a brand but wont pay the extra money and then management on your back if the customer leaves or they havent paid the extra money (gov only pays for the cheapest equivalent on the market)
    - you also cant leave the shop at any point of the day which starts to feel like a prison sentence
    - any little mistake could have your registration on the line. A girl i knew had her registration suspended as a front of shop girl never asked who the med was for and it turned out she sold an inappropriate drug for a 2 year old. as she was the pharmacist covering that day she was responsible for all sales and had to suffer for the mistake

So if you like fighting with people of all kinds and are not afraid of making fatal errors then you could see it as cushy i suppose. But please don't make sweeping degrading comments before you actually try to understand someones profession. Industry is another route but its difficult to enter. I have heard mixed reviews.

In relation to physio, It does seems to be a lovely profession. I work with physios and there my favorite kind of people.
    pro's : good relationship with patients, decent hours (usually m-f 9-5 but with rotating weekend rosters), okish salary, really appreciated member of the team. They are always in good form
    con's: repetitive job,a lot of patient contact( most of them got infected with covid and also cant keep up the high involvement as they age eg back strain etc) there isn't a whole loads of jobs in Ireland so you may need to move to get your foot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

You forgot to mention;
    Dealing with fcuking idiots on the internet who disparage your profession while asking you to do them the favour of telling them if they might like that self same profession! I admire your patience. You gave that ... person approximately 10 minutes of your time that he didn’t deserve and that you won’t get back.
    gawdd wrote: »
    I understand that sounds quite stressful but you can't say throwaway comments like "putting pills in a bottle" when you asked for peoples opinions.

Ive worked in both community and hospital and had to leave the former due to the stress. Both difficult jobs but community was a HUNDRED TIMES MORE STRESSFUL.

You asked for examples:
    - I would work 10 hours a day constantly on my feet with no breaks and sometimes if was lucky id get 10 mins to eat( most times the girls would heat my food so i could wolf it down)
    - A constant stream of orders which take about 15 mins each to process, print labels, ensure correct scheme and paperwork and collecting and checking- but also dealing with people getting impatient
    - fighting with patients because they are demanding a medicine which they dont have an valid script for (or never had)
    - fighting with patients cause their medicine unfortunately isn't covered by their med card an/or various reasons (and then their is the cascade that beings as other patients standing round cant understand why you cant process a script faster than 5 mins)
    - being pestered when you go toilet cause there is a patient DEMANDING to see the pharmacist
    - ringing (again mostly fighting) with doctors due to unsafe doses or incorrect prescriptions
    - a lot of administration/ schemes/obstacles that even the PCRS can't give much info on when you ring for advice
    - forged scripts- one time i refused to give a full script and said look ill give you 5 days until we can clarify (there v smart come in on sats or after 5 knowing the doctor is closed to verify) i was verbally abused and threatened to be killed whilst the other half thrashed the shop and stole items. gardai called.
    - I've had friends held in hostage situations-one by a gun, another by a syringe threatening to be HIV + and another by a shard of glass
    - prescription errors anxiety- mistakes happen when you work 10 hours with no or little breaks.
    - unrealistic demands by management- OTC sales, prescription numbers, flu vaccine quotas
    - there is a general shortage of pharmacists and technicians so very little support in most shops.
    - generic medicines - fighting with patients who demand a brand but wont pay the extra money and then management on your back if the customer leaves or they havent paid the extra money (gov only pays for the cheapest equivalent on the market)
    - you also cant leave the shop at any point of the day which starts to feel like a prison sentence
    - any little mistake could have your registration on the line. A girl i knew had her registration suspended as a front of shop girl never asked who the med was for and it turned out she sold an inappropriate drug for a 2 year old. as she was the pharmacist covering that day she was responsible for all sales and had to suffer for the mistake

So if you like fighting with people of all kinds and are not afraid of making fatal errors then you could see it as cushy i suppose. But please don't make sweeping degrading comments before you actually try to understand someones profession. Industry is another route but its difficult to enter. I have heard mixed reviews.

In relation to physio, It does seems to be a lovely profession. I work with physios and there my favorite kind of people.
    pro's : good relationship with patients, decent hours (usually m-f 9-5 but with rotating weekend rosters), okish salary, really appreciated member of the team. They are always in good form
    con's: repetitive job,a lot of patient contact( most of them got infected with covid and also cant keep up the high involvement as they age eg back strain etc) there isn't a whole loads of jobs in Ireland so you may need to move to get your foot in.

gawdd wrote: »

You asked for examples:

Thank you sir.

Questioning the intensity of a job role to me isn't disparaging.

Additionally - a little pop-psychology 101 - if you want answers, it can sometimes help to flare tempers a little.
    i.e. ask challenging questions (in a sometimes provocative fashion) that are likely to elicit a response.

But yeah, historically I've seen pharmacists pottering about behind their shelves of drugs and think, "that's the easy life".
    Most pharmacists I've had dealings with as a patient - if I consider it, certainly in the busy spots, yeah - they're real people people.

Always make time to answer questions and be helpful.
    My rational was, they simply found a role that suits their personality cause, I guess the main issue you describe seems to revolve primarily around people management - patients being difficult etc.

Looking back at my time in school as a comparative example - some teachers could handle difficult students like water off a ducks back.
    Other teachers, it was literally the death of them - and simply given their personality, a job role they should not have been in.

But I guess when you spend your life training and establish a career role, income, family that depend on that, the attitude may be just to hold tight and push hard no matter how much it gets on top of you.

But in perspective of pharmacy yeah I mean, the pharmacists I've attended have always been so good with people.

- I genuinely query as to if that's why so many male pharmacists I've been served by are quite obviously gay??
    As in, gay dudes just function better in that interpersonal role?

Now, don't interpret that as a derisory remark, not at all cause, fact is - it's easier to be served by some effeminate dude that a big difficult sensitive domineering type.

In terms of the technicalities of the job however, yeah I mean, I'm sure it's not as intellectually intensive as a role in research pharmacology but it sounds demanding with high responsibility nonetheless, as you describe it at least.

Which basically more or less answers my question as to whether it would be a suitable path for me given my desire for a more flexible work schedule.

Physio I was thinking more so a private clinic where I can schedule my own appointments.

i.e. basically what I have been doing, but being more qualified and can pretty much double my rates given higher qualifications.

Maybe do a couple days in a hospital or rehabilitation setting to satisfy that interest also but, real appeal is that it caters to my two main interests being, MSK development and neurology.

+ I'll get to learn about other diverse areas of the human body, rehab process - with the red ribbon being I can still basically schedule my own work hours.

Additionally private clinics around my area are booked solid for a couple weeks in advance so as far as work being thin on the ground, well - maybe in hospital settings I don't know but, private clinics seem to be doing just fine?

Now, as to the issue of difficulty in people management...

I can say thus far that's been pretty breezy.
    I genuinely attribute that to the fact that I've always been kind of a slick mick with chicks in nightclub settings (and most place really), but makes the client-patient dynamic extremely, not only easy or not difficult, but actually enjoyable.

In settings with more complex rehab however, beyond basic muscle spasms, maybe that'd be different, I'd be optimistic - but open to correction/suggestion of course.

You forgot to mention;
    Dealing with fcuking idiots on the internet who disparage you’re profession while asking you to do them the favour of telling them if they might like that self same profession! I admire your patience. You gave that cnut approximately 10 minutes of your time that he didn’t deserve and that you won’t get back.

HVgB8UP.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

LaptopGremlin infracted - Posting in a deliberately provocative fashion to elicit a reaction is what we call trolling, and is not acceptable on this forum. Likewise your assumptions around people's sexuality. A higher standard of posting is required on this forum, if you would like to retain your posting privileges you will need to raise the standard of your posts.

locum-motion banned for 1 day - irrespective of any provocation or justification, referring to another poster as a cnut is personal abuse and is not on.

Kurtosis wrote: »
    Mod note

LaptopGremlin infracted - Posting in a deliberately provocative fashion to elicit a reaction is what we call trolling, and is not acceptable on this forum. Likewise your assumptions around people's sexuality. A higher standard of posting is required on this forum, if you would like to retain your posting privileges you will need to raise the standard of your posts.

locum-motion banned for 1 day - irrespective of any provocation or justification, referring to another poster as a cnut is personal abuse and is not on.

Actually, I didn't post in deliberately provocative fashion.
    I just happened to mention that's a dynamic that can transpire and common knowledge as to it being effective.
    Given the importance of information being sought I probed - not provoked; my allusion to the aforementioned was an outline of it, not a concession of it (what I did was like, a distant cousin twice removed from "provoking", gene code so abstracted they're hardly even comparable).

As to assumptions around sexuality - I mean PC is one thing but there are certain realities that are vital to consider in terms of aptitude for conditions of any kind but, high intensity job roles, perhaps paramount.

Cordiality is important in such a position was my main point and given the societal prototype of the mans-man, yet greater refinement in appearance, presentation and not entirely co-incidentally - people skills - is something that historically I've experienced lends itself very well to interpersonal job role, especially in an environment like a pharmacy, and a physiotherapy clinic.

All if being a little more colorful is a means to an end in that capacity, well, it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
    I personally contend I would be lent well to such environments, not via being fruity more so, smooth, slick, suavee - I guess.

Bottom line is, difference means, relatively same ends.

My point was, I feel it may be short sighted to potentially inhibit the discussion of characteristics given their pertinence, especially in a thread geared for discussion of potential career roles where characteristics are everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Actually, I didn't post in deliberately provocative fashion.
    I just happened to mention that's a dynamic that can transpire and common knowledge as to it being effective.
    Given the importance of information being sought I probed - not provoked; my allusion to the aforementioned was an outline of it, not a concession of it (what I did was like, a distant cousin twice removed from "provoking", gene code so abstracted they're hardly even comparable).

As to assumptions around sexuality - I mean PC is one thing but there are certain realities that are vital to consider in terms of aptitude for conditions of any kind but, high intensity job roles, perhaps paramount.

Cordiality is important in such a position was my main point and given the societal prototype of the mans-man, yet greater refinement in appearance, presentation and not entirely co-incidentally - people skills - is something that historically I've experienced lends itself very well to interpersonal job role, especially in an environment like a pharmacy, and a physiotherapy clinic.

All if being a little more colorful is a means to an end in that capacity, well, it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
    I personally contend I would be lent well to such environments, not via being fruity more so, smooth, slick, suavee - I guess.

Bottom line is, difference means, relatively same ends.

My point was, I feel it may be short sighted to potentially inhibit the discussion of characteristics given their pertinence, especially in a thread geared for discussion of potential career roles where characteristics are everything.

Mod note

First, you have been and continue to post in a provocative fashion, and I believe this is deliberate, so the charge of trolling is valid.

Second, talk about characteristics all you want, however you are doubling down on generalising/stereotyping based on your assumption of people's sexuality (highlighted above). Again, attempting to be provocative.

This is a three day ban, and I'm closing this thread as I cannot see it yielding any constructive discussion. I'd suggest taking this time to reflect on your posting in this forum. Unless you change your posting style drastically, there will be escalating sanctions.

Any issues, you can PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement