Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught speeding. What now?

• 07-04-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all. First of all I just want to say I know I was stupid completely my fault and the gaurd was only doing his job. Very irresponsible on my behalf. But just have a query I'll bring you through exactly what happened. I was coming home from work. Very tired and just wasn't paying attention. I look up and there's the traffic corps sitting there so I drive past them and they come after me. Blue light me and pull me in. 'Evening gaurd. I Said, he said to me you were doing 78 in a 60 zone can I have your licence. I said so sorry about that gave my license he asked for my address and wrote it in his black book. he said I'll be back in 5 minutes. Comes back out hands me my license and asks me to produce proof of insurance as it wasn't my car I was driving within 10 days. Didn't mention the speeding or showed me any proof of anything. Where do I stand with this. Has anyone any other similar experience??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Eh?

You were pulled for speeding so expect the fine in the post....

Produce insurance and licence at the Garda station you chose and they give you a receipt that you produced.

Your points will then be added by the RSA and 3 points will stay with you for 3 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bring proof that you were insured to drive that vehicle, at that time to the station.
    If not, expect to see a summons for driving while uninsured.
    If you do bring proof, ask to speak to the Garda who stopped you and ask is that the end of it. He will probably tell you that you will get a fixed penalty notice in the post in due course.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plevo160 wrote: »
    Hi all. First of all I just want to say I know I was stupid completely my fault and the gaurd was only doing his job. Very irresponsible on my behalf. But just have a query I'll bring you through exactly what happened. I was coming home from work. Very tired and just wasn't paying attention. I look up and there's the traffic corps sitting there so I drive past them and they come after me. Blue light me and pull me in. 'Evening gaurd. I Said, he said to me you were doing 78 in a 60 zone can I have your licence. I said so sorry about that gave my license he asked for my address and wrote it in his black book. he said I'll be back in 5 minutes. Comes back out hands me my license and asks me to produce proof of insurance as it wasn't my car I was driving within 10 days. Didn't mention the speeding or showed me any proof of anything. Where do I stand with this. Has anyone any other similar experience??
    You describe yourself as very tired so probably shoukd not have been driving.
    You say that you looked up - from what? Where Where you looking that you didn't see them?
    You then speed past a garda checkpoint?
    I woukd have my doubts that you should even be driving.
    Nonetheless expect a fine and three points for the offence and consider yourself lucky.
    Bring your insurance to the station nominated and get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Assuming you were insured, simply produce the insurance as requested.

If the garda was in good mood and he did not think your driving was erratic, he may not bother with a ticket.

If he does his job as normal, he'll simply send a speed report to Thurles and they will issue a ticket to you. You will get 3 points on the licence and have to pay the fine within 30 days.

Only if you don't pay the fine will it go any further.

You'll know in a couple of weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

silver2020 wrote: »
    Assuming you were insured, simply produce the insurance as requested.

If the garda was in good mood and he did not think your driving was erratic, he may not bother with a ticket.

If he does his job as normal, he'll simply send a speed report to Thurles and they will issue a ticket to you. You will get 3 points on the licence and have to pay the fine within 30 days.

Only if you don't pay the fine will it go any further.

You'll know in a couple of weeks :)

They need as much revenue coming in more then ever.... Need to pay for the new guns

• Advertisement
Advertisement