Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 16:43   #1
Crock Rock

Ireland's Jewish community

Do you personally know any Jews in Ireland?
There were only 2,557 Jews in Ireland as of 2017.

I know only two. One of my college lecturers (I graduated 6 years ago) and a doctor who operated on my mouth. I obviously know the former better than the latter. I don't know any Jewish people on a personal level.

I think a certain poster who joined us recently is a young female Jew, but I could be wrong.

Do you know any Jewish people?
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 16:45   #2
Cee-Jay-Cee

I think Ross on Friends was Jewish and Jerry Seinfeld...dunno anyone else.
11-07-2019, 16:45   #3
Autecher

Jew wouldn't believe how many of them I know!
11-07-2019, 16:49   #4
rusty cole

I don't know any Jews, so I guess that makes me an anti-Semite now!

what are they like leprechauns or something now, I don't see any , do you know any protestants, Sheiks, Hindi's, Buddhists, Muslims etc.

Are they a pleasure to know so much more than others? I don't get the thread but it's given me a laugh though.

weird topic..

Last edited by rusty cole; 11-07-2019 at 16:52.
(3) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 16:51   #5
El Weirdo

The only one I know isn't really a Jew, he's Jewish.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 16:51   #6
Crock Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee-Jay-Cee View Post
I think Ross on Friends was Jewish and Jerry Seinfeld...dunno anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock Rock View Post
Do you know any Jewish people?

Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 16:51   #7
JustAThought

A few - and I wouldn't have ever known that I knew them except that I was invited to an event and they all tyrned up and it turned out I was the only catholic there amongst us! They all joined in with hilarity and chimed the answers to the questions I was answering about synagogues & the like!Lovely people & total livewires. The women are stunning.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 16:54   #8
Crock Rock

So are the majority of Irish Jews of German or Central European descent who were escaping Hitler's persecution?
11-07-2019, 16:54   #9
MarkY91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
A few - and I wouldn't have ever known that I knew them except that I was invited to an event and they all tyrned up and it turned out I was the only catholic there amongst us! They all joined in with hilarity and chimed the answers to the questions I was answering about synagogues & the like!Lovely people & total livewires. The women are stunning.
Spent a week in Israel back in April.

Israeli women are the most attractive women on earth. There's no doubt in my mind. Gal Gadot is just an average looking Israeli over there.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 16:55   #10
Crock Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
No, and neither do you.

Did you read the OP?
I said I do. If I saw my college lecturer (we live nearby) we'd stop and chat.

Do you have a problem or somethihng?
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 16:56   #11
Johnny Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autecher View Post
Jew wouldn't believe how many of them I know!
I did Nazi that joke coming at all.
11-07-2019, 16:56   #12
rusty cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock Rock View Post
So are the majority of Irish Jews of German or Central European descent who were escaping Hitler's persecution?
what are you doing a survey? I think we get your agenda there mate OISH!!! the rent!
11-07-2019, 16:57   #13
electro~bitch

A lecturer I had, but he was Polish.

I have an American friend who is and used to have a British friend, she went SUPER Jewish and moved to a kibbutz though, haven't heard from her in years.

We didn't really cover ourselves in glory after the war in terms of our attitudes to former Nazis living here, you'd be surprised once you start reading into it how much stuff there is that'd maybe make a Jewish person cross here off the list of places to go. The widespread attitude to Palestine probably doesn't help either.

There is or was a small established Jewish community in Harold's cross in Dublin and a bit in Cork too but afaik not much beyond that.

You can understand the craythurs figuring it's probably better to go somewhere with a bigger Jewish community and stick together given everything that's happened over the last, well, several centuries. People tend to think of the Holocaust as an eruption but it was just an escalation of what had been steadily getting worse for the previous 50 years or so in that part of the world which was just a rerun of what had happened in other parts of the world.

**** Israel though.

Last edited by electro~bitch; 11-07-2019 at 17:01.
11-07-2019, 17:03   #14
Jimbob1977

My next door neighbours in Dublin are Jewish.

It's a very tight knit community because their numbers have dwindled over the decades.

Many of their relations would live in Israel. I think the older generations prefer to see out their final years in the Holy Land.

They always made an effort to celebrate Catholic traditions like Christmas, because it's roughly the same time as Hannukah.

Easter also falls at the same time as Passover.

There is an unfair perception that they are always mean-spirited and greedy. My neighbours could not be more generous!

It's probably true that most Jews in Ireland have professional jobs like bankers or doctors. At one point, three Jewish TDs (Briscoe, Taylor and Shatter) sat in the Dail. That's a great achievement for a community that makes up a tiny 0.1% of the population.

The Irish Jews are a mixture of Orthodox and Progressive branches. The Orthodox would be stricter, but nowhere as severe as their Israeli equivalent. The Progressives would be more secular.

These days in Ireland, I'd expect their major issues would be the dwindling population (and marriage opportunities) plus being held responsible for the Palestinian conflict.
11-07-2019, 17:06   #15
JustAThought

I'd say its the same issues as everyone else - getting a job, making sure the mortgage is oaid, trying to find somewherw nice to rent or afford to buy,long commutes; entertaining nights out, finding someone to live or fall in love with, getting ahead. Just everyday, everyone issues - ordinary lovely people enjoying their lives.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion