Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 13:41   #16
anewme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rireland View Post
I feel bad for them.
I feel worse for you OP, this recycled rinse and repeat crap pops up regularly like a bad TV repeat.

Have you nothing better to be doing with your time than trying to push this bull**** Agenda.

Maybe take up a hobby or do something positive like Volunteering.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 13:42   #17
Persepoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by worded View Post
Ever the romantic there kid :-)

It gives life purpose having a kid or kids

The same joy can’t be got from material things
I have no children and my life is full of purpose. I'm very lucky
11-07-2019, 13:42   #18
sbsquarepants

Different people have different priorities - I personally feel people prioritise careers way more than they should. Sure it's nice to have money, but you also need time to spend it and someone to spend it on. Money on it's own is nothing to write home about.

Kids are what make life worth living, (well mine anyway) not holidays or cars, certainly not a job, or in fact anything material. We're all going to end up in a box at the end of the day (metaphorically speaking, I'd be fairly sure most of us will see tomorrow)

No one ever lies on their death bed wishing they'd worked longer hours!
11-07-2019, 13:44   #19
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
Different people have different priorities - I personally feel people prioritise careers way more than they should. Sure it's nice to have money, but you also need time to spend it and someone to spend it on. Money on it's own is nothing to write home about.

Kids are what make life worth living, (well mine anyway) not holidays or cars or anything material. We're all going to end up in a box at the end of the day (metaphorically speaking, I'd be fairly sure most of us will see tomorrow)

No one ever lies on their death bed wishing they'd worked longer hours!
Plenty of people lie on the death beds wishing they had travelled more.
11-07-2019, 13:45   #20
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persepoly View Post
You're a woman right?

Do you get all those boring expressions of sympathy from other people when you express lack of interest in having kids? Or is that a myth?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 13:45   #21
anewme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persepoly View Post
How bizarre - we must buck the norm then.

I have no children and my life is full of purpose too.

Its also full of material things as well. Sometimes, its nice to have nice things or not to worry about money or be able to travel to places you never dreamed you would see.
11-07-2019, 13:48   #22
worded

All right Love ?

Yes honey moon phase is great

How long does love last for ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...-in-love%3famp
11-07-2019, 13:48   #23
Assetbacked

Women who want kids, unfortunately for them, need to make serious plans about getting on with it as they hit 30, especially if they are single.

This modern image of a woman being a high flying corporate type doesn't tend to tag along the caveat that, should she want kids, she can't wait for forever.
11-07-2019, 13:50   #24
lashes34

Quote:
Originally Posted by worded View Post
Ever the romantic there kid :-)

It gives life purpose having a kid or kids

The same joy can’t be got from material things
Christ I hate this attitude - life has a purpose without procreating. How patronising to say otherwise. Maybe your life has nothing in it before kids, thankfully its not that way for others.

A lot of people dedicate their lives to themselves and that is perfectly fine. They want to travel, see the world, have money to have a comfortable standard of living and that is ok.

Each to their own but the patronising crap from some parents needs to stop. Wrecks my head.
(132) thanks from:
2smiggy, 2_fri, Addle, adox, Aglomerado, ahnowbrowncow, Akabusi, Alf Veedersane, anewme, angel eyes 2012, ArnoldJRimmer, Ave Sodalis, bertsmom, Bigbagofcans, biZrb, Bob the Builder, bottlebrush, bronte, BrownFinger, bubblypop, BuboBubo, BuileBeag, Butterface, Canard, circadian, colm_mcm, Cork Lass, Cornelius Crow, Corvo, Cutie 3.14, cutymonalisa, DaeryssaOne, Daisy78, Daveq, Dial Hard, dmc17, downesy, DrPhilG, Duckworth_Luas, Duvet Day, electro~bitch, endacl, Flex, Former Observer, Foweva Awone, frash, FTA69, ginandtonicsky, gman127, gordongekko, Gwildor, hippyreject, Hogzy, Homer, ibarelycare, Idle Passerby, imfml, IrishGrimReaper, jack presley, jaxxx, JC01, jpm4, JTC83, JupiterKid, JustAThought, Karma King, kittyclaws, Knex., Koloman, lainey_d_123, lbc2019, lemd, liamo77, Lillysue99, Mark Rippetoe, Martina1991, mazwell, miezekatze, MillField, MissElle, MissGriff, MisterDrak, MOH, ncmc, o1s1n, Odyssey 2005, ongarboy, Osborne, patsfan1286, pauliebdub, Persepoly, Pflano, Postgrad10, Potential-Monke, purplesnack, rainbowtrout, rgace, RikkFlair, RoryMac, sarah88, Silverfish, Sinister Kid, SirChenjin, Slasher, snotboogie, Snugglebunnies, Spencer Winterbotham, sportsfan90, spurious, Squeeonline, sugarman, SureYWouldntYa, SusieBlue, Table Top Joe, Tabnabs, Tea-a-Maria, Teyla Emmagan, TheBody, Theboinkmaster, thefloss, theoldbreed, tippingpoint, Tipsy McSwagger, Useful.Idiot, voldejoie, Vologda69, wench, whiskeyman, wiggle16, wolfmoon87, woodchuck, Zaph
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 13:50   #25
worded

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post
Plenty of people lie on the death beds wishing they had travelled more.
Well they have the mother of all journeys ahead of them now
11-07-2019, 13:50   #26
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyguinness View Post
Risky at 35? My ass.
Different story for different people I suppose. Anecdotal but I know of one lady who is very eager to get the kids done and dusted by 35 as her family has a history of kids with special needs from older mammies.
Thanks from:
11-07-2019, 13:52   #27
anewme

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
You're a woman right?

Do you get all those boring expressions of sympathy from other people when you express lack of interest in having kids? Or is that a myth?
Ha Ha, I find nothing worse than a baby bore and have actually got up from the table at work when a bad one starts.

What I do get said to me is "ahhh, you'll feel different when you have your own"

Now that is a compliment as I won't be having any of my own unless there's an immaculate conception as I'm pushing to 50.
11-07-2019, 13:52   #28
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Kid View Post
Why feel bad for them?

If they really wanted a kid they could go out & ride whoever they can till they get knocked up.
Just because your Ma did it doesn't mean its for everyone
(4) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 13:53   #29
Persepoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
You're a woman right?

I am

I have been asked if I plan on having kids but so far haven't experienced any judgement. Of course my response is usually a jokey one. If I came straight out and said "I don't want any"? Well I don't know and that isn't completely accurate anyways.
11-07-2019, 13:53   #30
Aglomerado

Another one here! I'm in good health and like travelling, hiking, choral singing, amongst others; working in a challenging job which I also enjoy.
Don't have much interest in material stuff other than owning a house but like touring around a lot within and outside Ireland & going to gigs.

I love kids though they're great fun, just never wanted my own.

Last edited by Aglomerado; 11-07-2019 at 13:56.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion