Kinda hard to explain how you stand beside a turf fire for 5 mins and everything you own smells of it for weeks after.
I will miss it, and coal. Nothing like an open fire. But both were back breaking work and filthy. I remember the smog back in the day. Like Victorian London some days.
Had a fireplace in my last place - would never live in a place with one again. For the few times a year that you'd use it (when it makes your house stink of smoke), the rest of the time it makes your house colder.
Also, a fire in a fire place is an an extremely ineffective way of heating the house (most of the air used for the fire is cold air drawn down the chimney, making the room colder), and is associated with higher risks of various forms of cancer.
So yes, happy enough with my thermostat, anyway.