Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2019, 00:39   #61
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant tail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
Because most go on about letting the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.
Most say that? No they don’t! A vegan would prefer for an animal not to be born at all into the life of our ‘farm’ animals, where in many cases the same-day they are born, their slaughter date is decided
The ones I've meet here, at the farm gate are all of the opinion that it would be so much better if the lambs weren't being put to death. After responding that they wouldn't be alive if there wasn't a market for meat, one couple argued that th e animal did nothing to deserve death and should be allowed to live a full natural life.
Another Looney told me.to my face that any person that can send his animals for slaughter is evil and that the grass grows from the land freely and the animal has a right to graze freely.
I'm fairly happy with my opinion of vegan types.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 00:39   #62
pheasant tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx View Post
I love how all this talk of 'animals' is always from a third person perspective. Newsflash, we're animals. Other animal species don't exist for the sole purpose of ending up on our plates. We're not some sort of special species magically chosen by some all powerful giant flying spaghetti monster in outer space, we're just another species of animal. In our particular case, we're omnivores. From a biological perspective, we're not meant to eat only plants or only other animals. We wouldn't have evolved canine teeth if we were to be completely herbivorous. FFS our closest living relatives, chimpanzees, aren't exclusively herbivorous either! They eat insects and hunt smaller mammals as well. Nature is all about balance. You can't have balance when only one side of the scales is weighted!
Many true herbivores have canine teeth! And a lot more serious looking than our flat things!
03-07-2019, 00:41   #63
igCorcaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
I think eating animals will continue to be fine once we find a way of reducing the human population by a few billion.
If we fail and the human population continues to grow I don't see how eating real non synthetic meat will be possible for most of the population.
I'm very interested in the synthetic meat initiative. I'm also wary of technological fixes.

Brave new world and all. I do hope it works out though. The population problem is real though.
(2) thanks from:
03-07-2019, 00:42   #64
pheasant tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
The ones I've meet here, at the farm gate are all of the opinion that it would be so much better if the lambs weren't being put to death. After responding that they wouldn't be alive if there wasn't a market for meat, one couple argued that th e animal did nothing to deserve death and should be allowed to live a full natural life.
Another Looney told me.to my face that any person that can send his animals for slaughter is evil and that the grass grows from the land freely and the animal has a right to graze freely.
I'm fairly happy with my opinion of vegan types.
Sure all vegans in the world must be the very same as the ones that landed to your gate so 😊. But I agree with everything above apart from the part about farmers been evil, they ain’t of course!
03-07-2019, 00:44   #65
Feisar

As soon as I meat a "woke" bear I'll change my perception.

Effing vegans, unfortunately one cannot live in the western world and not be a detriment to the planet. A 2 min youtube vid takes 2 AA batteries worth of power for example.
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 00:44   #66
jaxxx

Quote:
I think eating animals will continue to be fine once we find a way of reducing the human population by a few billion.
If we fail and the human population continues to grow I don't see how eating real non synthetic meat will be possible for most of the population.

#1 problem in the world right there: overpopulation. More humans = more land required for farming, regardless of whether you're farming plants or animals. How much more space are we gonna strip away from 'the wild' so that we continue to feed ourselves? Earth is not big enough to accommodate 8 billion humans, even though we're not at 8 billion quite yet. Jesus 100 years ago the global population was only about 1/4 of what it is now. More and more nature stripped away so we can feed ourselves. All that habitat loss, countless extinctions of animal and plant life. Major losses in global biodiversity. But all we care about is arguing about what we should be eating, not the irreversible damage we're causing to every other form of life on the planet.

^^ I've absolutely no plans on adding to aforementioned problem btw just in case anyone wants to make a quick witty comeback.
03-07-2019, 00:48   #67
igCorcaigh

Like most issues, I think this one will be decided not through a moral lens, but more through the objective and economic forces.

Politics and human will do play some role, but I believe that most social change comes from brute forces of economic reality.

Slavery died because of the industrial revolution, not because we became more morally enlightened.

Women got "equal" (explicit) pay because it hit the bottom line of the bosses.
03-07-2019, 01:05   #68
riffmongous

I swear to God all these stupid threads whinging about vegans have me on the verge of going vegan just to spite the 'how do you know someone's a vegan, hurr hurr hurr' people
03-07-2019, 01:08   #69
igCorcaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
I swear to God all these stupid threads whinging about vegans have me on the verge of going vegan just to spite the 'how do you know someone's a vegan, hurr hurr hurr' people
Hey, it makes a change from the gender debate, eh?
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 01:24   #70
jaxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post

03-07-2019, 01:32   #71
TimeLadsPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by touts View Post
Veganism is a by product of first world luxury and excess. There are no vegans in a famine.
True. But you could accurately apply the same line to cannibalism.

Human flesh is no different to any other meat.
03-07-2019, 01:35   #72
TimeLadsPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio View Post
As far as I am concerned I will continue to eat, and agree with animals being eaten, for the rest of my life as will my children (if I have that influence)
MMMM.. meat! What if it is your children who are being eaten? Don't forget, they are made of meat too. MMM.... meat!
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 01:38   #73
tuxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLadsPlease View Post
True. But you could accurately apply the same line to cannibalism.

Human flesh is no different to any other meat.
Well, except for Kuru and other diseases caused by cannibalism. Cannibalism causes issues such as this in most species.
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 01:43   #74
TimeLadsPlease

Quote:
Well, except for Kuru and other diseases caused by cannibalism. Cannibalism causes issues such as this in most species.
Only if you eat the brain, tuxy, but an interesting point. Perhaps this is why we don't find any animal brain in the meat counter at Tesco.
03-07-2019, 01:43   #75
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio View Post
Yes i agree with that big time.

I do think veganism is to some extent, selfish,

People with nothing to eat in the world, and vegans turning down meat as it is not 'right'

No such thing as veganism in third world countries, or even many other countries, Turkey, Africa, etc.
Yeh, just about 400 million indians, is all

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion