Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-07-2019, 00:14   #46
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant tail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
I actually think vegans believe that people would still keep farms full of sheep and cattle even if nobody was eating meat or drinking milk.
They seem to believe that the lambs would run free in the field and grow into old age.
There wouldn't be a sheep or cow outside of Dublin zoo if vegans got their way but they do t seem to see this side of it.
What makes you think vegans believe any of that..?
Because most go on a out Led to n g the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 00:15   #47
mickdw

Because most go on about letting the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.
(4) thanks from:
03-07-2019, 00:15   #48
donkeykong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberchikken View Post
i love animals. in fact other than my immediate family, animals are all i actually gave time for.
they dont annoy, bully or drive me nuts (im being polite).

i woukdnt harm a gead on their bodies and would never accept anyone hurting one in any way.
but i love meat. but without meaning to i actually eat very little meat most days, mostly due to lack of time. id love to be vegan or even vegetarian but i dont have the willpower though i do respect those who are because of animal welfare.
Well I hope you dont drink Barry's tea.
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 00:18   #49
donkeykong5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant tail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberchikken View Post
i love animals. in fact other than my immediate family, animals are all i actually gave time for.
they dont annoy, bully or drive me nuts (im being polite).

i woukdnt harm a gead on their bodies and would never accept anyone hurting one in any way.
but i love meat. but without meaning to i actually eat very little meat most days, mostly due to lack of time. id love to be vegan or even vegetarian but i dont have the willpower though i do respect those who are because of animal welfare.
I don’t mean to single out your comment as I can see the sincere meaning behind it. But you said you wouldn’t harm a head on their body or accept anyone hurting animals in any way. You do know by purchasing meat or animal products, you are just paying someone else to do that for you...

That’s why I didn’t get the hypocrisy with all the outrage last week about the greyhounds. I’m guessing if we where all eating them then it would be perfectly acceptable, bred for that reason, evolution, would run free without us, happy life before they where mistreated etc etc
Did you actually watch the programme ?.
(2) thanks from:
03-07-2019, 00:20   #50
pheasant tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
Because most go on about letting the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.
Most say that? No they don’t! A vegan would prefer for an animal not to be born at all into the life of our ‘farm’ animals, where in many cases the same-day they are born, their slaughter date is decided simultaneously!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 00:20   #51
pheasant tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong5 View Post
Did you actually watch the programme ?.
I did yea..
(2) thanks from:
03-07-2019, 00:21   #52
Sam Quentin

I would not enjoy my food if I was a vegan,.it wouldn't suit me and also I wouldn't have time to do the logistics and seperation of this and that..... I can understand why some people pretend to love GUIYNESS(know what I mean)until they actually get a taste for it just to look and feel more Irish(as we are a cool country )but the intricacies of being a vegan never mind the amount of effort involved!?!? Just wouldn't suit me at-all at-all
03-07-2019, 00:23   #53
swarlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Yeah but it the same time many animals exist and breed in the numbers they do because of Human activity.

The modern beef and dairy cow are manufactured and without humans wouldn't exist in the wild as they do now. We have shaped nature as a resource and it's more than just us killing animals who happen to be around, it's manufacturing nature by breeding animals for consumption, many in captivity and force-fed to fatten them up for us.

In addition the carbon dioxide produced is going to become more and more of a problem if farming continues to expand as populations do.

I'm no vegan, I eat meat and I eat veal on occasion. But I'm very aware that I'm not simply eating something that would have died anyway, I'm eating something that is only alive because I'm going to eat it. And it's only fair to acknowledge that in any moral debate.

I fully believe that the right solution is very very close for both sides as technology advances to mass produced lab-grown meat
Just on the carbon being produced by animals, through modern farming methods.... if we all become vegan to save the planet, what do we do with all the animals that will continue to breed (if there is no animal farming)...
Do we cull them ?? Or would that annoy the vegans, or is it only the eating of animals that upsets them ??
03-07-2019, 00:25   #54
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles o hara View Post
July 2nd, another anti-vegan thread on boards. Only 2/3 more to go before the month's end.
How is the OPs comment 'anti-vegan' ?

Last edited by gozunda; 03-07-2019 at 00:35.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 00:29   #55
anewme

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpatterson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewme View Post
OP, tell that to yer man who ate the Gecko.

That was the end of him.

Gordon?
No the bloke in the news at the moment.

He apparently ate a Gecko for a dare at a party and died in absolute agony 10 days later from salmonella.

His family are looking for answers.
03-07-2019, 00:31   #56
igCorcaigh

If we all became vegans... That old line sounds like if were all gay then humanity would die...

It's a complex debate, but the starting point is really simple.

Our modern industrial ways of consuming animals has, for some, become completely devoid of compassion and separated from our natural origins.

Some people, for ethical and completely understandable reasons make a decision not to support these industries.

Other people make choices along the same lines, but choose to source their animal products along more ethical lines, or just less of them.

Others continue as they are.

All valid, all debatable. But completely understandable, surely.
03-07-2019, 00:32   #57
jaxxx

I love how all this talk of 'animals' is always from a third person perspective. Newsflash, we're animals. Other animal species don't exist for the sole purpose of ending up on our plates. We're not some sort of special species magically chosen by some all powerful giant flying spaghetti monster in outer space, we're just another species of animal. In our particular case, we're omnivores. From a biological perspective, we're not meant to eat only plants or only other animals. We wouldn't have evolved canine teeth if we were to be completely herbivorous. FFS our closest living relatives, chimpanzees, aren't exclusively herbivorous either! They eat insects and hunt smaller mammals as well. Nature is all about balance. You can't have balance when only one side of the scales is weighted!
03-07-2019, 00:37   #58
RWCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartboardio View Post
I want to know why in Ireland, so many people genuinely think it's wrong to kill animals to eat, like we have been doing for many, many years?
Why do you think it's OK to kill animals to eat? You've given no reason other than a weak appeal to nature fallacy.
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 00:37   #59
Former Observer

Cringe thread is cringe.
03-07-2019, 00:38   #60
tuxy

I think eating animals will continue to be fine once we find a way of reducing the human population by a few billion.
If we fail and the human population continues to grow I don't see how eating real non synthetic meat will be possible for most of the population.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion