Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-07-2019, 20:30   #1921
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
With myself anyway it's laziness but I'm going to go to an Airtricity league game soon.
I said ages ago people supported English teams because it was easy and it was denied but there it is from the horses mouth
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 20:38   #1922
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Netflix View Post
Cork 2-0 down at home to a team from Luxembourg, embarrassing. Guess there will be no Rangers game.
Rovers with a very credible 2-2 away in Norway though. Cork are a shadow of themselves.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 21:05   #1923
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
I said ages ago people supported English teams because it was easy and it was denied but there it is from the horses mouth
Many people have said it. I said here multiple times it's because I can watch all games on TV. Home and away, whatever competition.

I'm sitting in my living room now watching Liverpool play a preseason game away from home on LFC TV

You don't have that with Irish teams
11-07-2019, 21:16   #1924
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Many people have said it. I said here multiple times it's because I can watch all games on TV. Home and away, whatever competition.

I'm sitting in my living room now watching Liverpool play a preseason game away from home on LFC TV

And as multiple people have said its sad that that's a condition people have to support a team. And if loi clubs got more support you'd be able to do the same.
11-07-2019, 21:19   #1925
8-10

Quote:
And as multiple people have said its sad that that's a condition people have to support a team. And if loi clubs got more support you'd be able to do the same.
No it wasn't a condition. There was no internet or streams of pre season games or even coverage of live league games when I became a fan.

But it doesn't half make it easier and it's brought me much closer to the team. These days I cant imagine supporting a team and not watching every single game.

It's sad that some fans don't get to see every game that their team plays live
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 22:10   #1926
Omackeral

Quote:
It's sad that some people have never seen their team actually play. As in physically see them.
11-07-2019, 22:13   #1927
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
It's sad that some people have never seen their team actually play. As in physically see them.
Yep also sad. I guess we're the lucky ones who experience both
11-07-2019, 22:23   #1928
D14Rugby

Quote:
No it wasn't a condition. There was no internet or streams of pre season games or even coverage of live league games when I became a fan.

But it doesn't half make it easier and it's brought me much closer to the team. These days I cant imagine supporting a team and not watching every single game.

Quote:
I said here multiple times it's because I can watch all games on TV. Home and away, whatever competition.
You're saying two different things now.

I can 100% guarantee you that seeing the players in person every week, seeing them walk around town, knowing they're from around the same area as you trumps that closeness you feel by being able to watch them on a screen a thousand times over.
11-07-2019, 22:31   #1929
8-10

Quote:
You're saying two different things now.

I can 100% guarantee you that seeing the players in person every week, seeing them walk around town, knowing they're from around the same area as you trumps that closeness you feel by being able to watch them on a screen a thousand times over.
Initially it wasn't a condition. But it's the reason I'm still a fan. Had I not been able to watch every game I probably would have switched to watching a different team that it was easier to watch.

And you don't have to 100% guarantee that. I agree with you. Seeing your team in person week in week out trumps the closeness I feel watching on TV. That's obvious.
Advertisement
11-07-2019, 23:18   #1930
pgj2015

Quote:

you cant beat being at a match live, its like comparing a meal in mcdonalds and a meal in a michelin star restaurant.

id rather watch a loi match live any day over a premier league game on tv.
11-07-2019, 23:28   #1931
The Moldy Gowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
you cant beat being at a match live, its like comparing a meal in mcdonalds and a meal in a michelin star restaurant.

Like last night. I went to see bohs and not Chelsea.

I had to stay around for the fawning over lampard. People with the welcome home frank sign.

Bohs players thanked the fans, Chelsea went straight down the tunnel.

It was weird. Was a good game but those fans will never be back. Lasts nights game really turned me against them fans.
It's sad but is what it is.
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 00:29   #1932
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Rovers with a very credible 2-2 away in Norway though. Cork are a shadow of themselves.
Maguire was never replaced.
12-07-2019, 07:12   #1933
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
If I was a neutral fan I'd be in full agreement. I'd go see a LOI game over a random PL game on tv

But I'd rather watch the team I support on TV than a live match of teams I don't support which is the difference
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 08:03   #1934
D14Rugby

Quote:
If I was a neutral fan I'd be in full agreement. I'd go see a LOI game over a random PL game on tv

But I'd rather watch the team I support on TV than a live match of teams I don't support which is the difference
You've said that if you couldn't watch every game you'd support someone that you could watch every game of. That's not something a proper supporter would say in my opinion. If I could never watch another rovers game again and just had to go off match reports or online updates or whatever I'd still support rovers.
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 08:13   #1935
8-10

Quote:
You've said that if you couldn't watch every game you'd support someone that you could watch every game of. That's not something a proper supporter would say in my opinion. If I could never watch another rovers game again and just had to go off match reports or online updates or whatever I'd still support rovers.
No I'll always support Liverpool no matter what nowadays, my point was about being a kid it could have worked out differently had I never seen my team play. I'm too invested at this stage to switch anymore. The team grows on you during those formative years, your first trip to the Stadium, pretending to be your favourite player on the playground etc etc. You wouldn't have become a Rovers fan and followed their results every week without ever seeing them kick a ball would you? If I had never gotten the opportunities to see them play I wouldn't personally just have followed blindly. The fact that TV coverage came in it the time it did facilitated me being a fan. If it didn't I'd probably follow a different team or sport right now or not be interested in soccer at all. TV made it easier and is the reason I'm still a fan today

But that's my personal position. If you want to change the team you support it's up to you, it's each to their own. I don't get the "proper" supporter or "real" supporter argument. You're right, as a supporter you are superior to me, fine for you to feel that way I just don't get it.

Doesn't stop me loving my team and getting a lot a joy out of following them and feeling pride right now being Champions of Europe

I hope you get the same joy watching your team
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion