Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest HIRLAM 18Z rainfall predictions. Widespread 30mm+

hirlamuk-25-29-0_uqw2.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

hawkwing wrote: »
    Siobhán just said "copious" in relation to tomorrow's rain,didn't hear her say that word since the famous early March forecast:o

Yes she doesn’t say it lightly but would much rather if it was snow she was talking about rather than rain. Excellent update from Siobhan though. Kept it on point with the hazards we can expect tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tomorrow’s trip to Santa in Bunratty is looking excellent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    Tomorrow’s trip to Santa in Bunratty is looking excellent :(

Is santa outdoors in bunratty?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON 21Z showing strong winds having a further reach inland on this run. To me looks like another upgrade on the previous run. ICON in my experience are good on predicting track close to the event, known to overdo the wind speeds a tad.

Quick moving but looking like high end orange warning along the S, SE and E later for a time. Going to be some squalls in that , possible thunder also.

tempresult_yez5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

45,000 tickets sold for the rugby in the Aviva at 17.30 tomorrow. As that coincides with the forecast peak period for Dublin, there has to be a risk of it being called off for public safety reasons.

Going by this , high end Orange possibly getting up to 130km/h ....at least ?

The rate at which this is upgrading would lead me to think that some very severe damaging winds are to be expected tomorrow made all the worse by the driving heavy rain.

iconeu_uk1-52-30-0_tie5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Looks like we're going to get some serious weather action tomorrow, here in Galicia . It will make a nice change from the boring good weather we normally get. We've had very hot summer's the few years, so we really good do with the extra water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭pauldry

Winds already gusting 51 knots Malin

A few heavy pulses of rain in South but not much yet

10mm so far in wettest spots

Id imagine tomorrow
    Sherkin/Valentia 55mm
    Cork 50mm
    Roches 50mm
    Johnston Castle 40mm
    Shannon/Newport 35mm
    Mace 32mm
    Sligo 30mm
    Dublin 25mm
    Malin 25mm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ICON 21Z showing strong winds having a further reach inland on this run. To me looks like another upgrade on the previous run. ICON in my experience are good on predicting track close to the event, known to overdo the wind speeds a tad.

Quick moving but looking like high end orange warning along the S, SE and E later for a time. Going to be some squalls in that , possible thunder also.

tempresult_yez5.gif

That suggests that the east coast (Bettystown right on coast here) will be windy all day with a nasty blast late afternoon to evening?

I know somebody working in Collon outdoors with kids on horses. Might give them a warning as they aren’t aware it’s gonna be so windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Is santa outdoors in bunratty?

No he is inside, unfortunately you will be walking around the folk park though until it's time,dress accordingly.

Tightest gradient getting in over land on this run from ICON.

EDIT: I should say near the tightest gradient getting in over land.

tempresult_kgc0.gif

Drumpot wrote: »
    That suggests that the east coast (Bettystown right on coast here) will be windy all day with a nasty blast late afternoon to evening?

I know somebody working in Collon outdoors with kids on horses. Might give them a warning as they aren’t aware it’s gonna be so windy.

Looking that way all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Very windy now in dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest Fax is out for tomorrow.
    Looking fairly nasty.

fax24s_xhi7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Larbre34 wrote: »
    45,000 tickets sold for the rugby in the Aviva at 17.30 tomorrow. As that coincides with the forecast peak period for Dublin, there has to be a risk of it being called off for public safety reasons.

Highly unlikely. Red warning yes. We have had worse. The main issue down there is rainfall and potential flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Kutebride

190 comments on IWO FB Page 😜🙈
    All calm Meath a ce moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Winds picking up a bit here and raining hard at moment. South West Conamara.
    I can hear a search helicopter on the bay also, hope all is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

UKs weather warnings for today interesting to compare

2p0upm.jpg

Storm name not on UK system yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

gozunda wrote: »
    UKs weather warnings for today interesting to compare

2p0upm.jpg

i didnt realise it was so cold across the sea,
    blizzard conditions in places:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ZX7R wrote: »
    i didnt realise it was so cold across the sea,
    blizzard conditions in places:cool:

So they are saying ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-46574942

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OK;

Woken by solid, heavy rain with not a breath of wind. Just the heavens are all one to liquid and spilling it out.

The stillness is eerie.

Was not surprised to see the warnings when I came on; the marine warning earlier was a clear indication.

All set here anyways. Fuel in, candles and matches ready in case the power goes......Westnet so far have done a wonderful job. ( small local server). The dish is on a gable end, facing north and never a worry.

Please, folk, take care out there. Please.

West Mayo. offshore island

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK;

Woken by solid, heavy rain with not a breath of wind. Just the heavens are all one to liquid and spilling it out.

The stillness is eerie.

Was not surprised to see the warnings when I came on; the marine warning earlier was a clear indication.

All set here anyways. Fuel in, candles and matches ready in case the power goes......Westnet so far have done a wonderful job. ( small local server). The dish is on a gable end, facing north and never a worry.

Please, folk, take care out there. Please.

West Mayo. offshore island

graces7 give a post when the wind starts up please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

5am TAF for Dublin Airport forecasting gusts up to 60 knots between 6pm and 8pm!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind howling in Dublin 16 all night! Very gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ZX7R wrote: »
    graces7 give a post when the wind starts up please

OK! staying online until and unless the power goes. still deluging and quiet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Very quite in Co Clare

Graces7 wrote: »
    OK! staying online until and unless the power goes. still deluging and quiet.

thank you
    intrested seeing how quick its starts and moves across the country

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

nthclare wrote: »
    Very quite in Co Clare

Just bear in mind that Storm Deirdre will not arrive until later. Orange warning comes into effect at 3pm.

• Advertisement

DunLaoghaire currently reporting gust of 59kts, and Dublin Bay Buoy reporting wave height of 5.8m (....that's very high for Dublin Bay!).

Advertisement