Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike tyres

• 10-12-2018 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I recently picked up a Honda xr125 out of a local classified ad, it's 2004.
    It has a bad back Tyre (pirelli mt60) which I need to replace.
    I'm debating whether to try a more off road Tyre as I live in a good area for green-laning, dirt roads etc.
    But then I'm not sure how it would handle on tarmac.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A dual sport tyre would be the best of both for you. Not sure of what exactly is available for your bike:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=74&t=1270506

Huge thread on here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-honda-xr150l-thread.1028549/page-121

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Given it's your first post in the motorbikes forum, I'm guessing it's your first bike.

Choose a tyre that best suits your needs, while I know the xr looks like a full fledged dirt bike, some never go off road. If you're only considering using it for green laning and have yet to learn to ride, you might be better off with a road tyre. You could get a dual sport tyre later for on and off road use or just get knobbly tyres now if you're not going to use it on the road at all.

Remember, you'll need to sort your license categories and IBT if you're going to be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Knobbies on wet tarmac are not good, conversely road tyres are useless off road.
    When will you be riding it? and on what surface mainly?
    It may be easier to get a set of wheels for road and offroad and swap as needed.

Advertisement