Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting up as an electrician

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

aido79 wrote: »
    I have most of the tools I would need and won't need a van. Using your figures as a very rough guide and taking a simplified look at it anything over €60 a week in earnings over the year would be profit. As said before I'm not looking to make a living out of this, just extra money.

The switch to engineering has nothing to do with finance but why do you think it's not financially viable?
    2011 wrote: »
    I misread micks post and thought he was recommending switching to engineering.

I switched years ago and never looked back. There is considerable work in this area and the future is looking bright too. Unlike working on your tools engineers are highly employable in their old age. When work goes quite in ireland there are opportunities to work on projects in other countries from ireland (I am doing this at present).

Ok look at the whole picture

An electrician with a contractor in Dublin for example at the moment is earning a minimum of 60k (many earn a lot more)
    If you're lucky DIT for example will give you a level 7 Eng degree in 2 yrs
    If you're going for a career in engineering you need level 8
    Thats another year
    So that is 3 years full time (maybe 4)

So that is a loss of earnings of 180K
    College fees of approx 4k per annum - 12k
    Part time earnings of approx 10K per annum - 30K (dependant of how much work is required in college, some people have to put a lot more time than others in)

I'd have you down at least 120K by the time you qualify and I am being conservative

You then come out of college and will be lucky as a newly qualified engineer if you make > 30k
    I reckon if you were lucky it would take 5 years to get to 60K

Its all about return on investment and I reckon you'd never financially make back what it costs you

Why do people think an electrician has to work on his tools on a site?

I am 20 years off tools still working based on my trade. I sit beside a lad that followed the path your looking at. He just started with us as an EE and earns approx. 20k less than me
    There are lots of paths an electrician can take to get of their tools, engineering is one but not the only one. The growth in this country with data centres and pharma in particular is presenting opportunities that may not previously have been available

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

micks wrote: »
    If you're going for a career in engineering you need level 8

A level 8 is a superior qualification, there is no denying that.
    However the right level 7 + the experienced gained during a 4 year apprenticeship + a few years experience is viewed very positively by many employer especially in the current climate. I know quite a few who have taken advantage of this.
    So that is a loss of earnings of 180K

Not quite, even when studying full time (part time study is also an option).
    A college year made of 2 semesters, each semester is 12 weeks long. So in reality college is 24 weeks which is less than ½ a year. The rest of the year is an opportunity for a qualified electrician to make money.
    College fees of approx 4k per annum - 12k

Effectively yes. They just call it by a different name (registration fee).
    You then come out of college and will be lucky as a newly qualified engineer if you make > 30k

No.
    Assuming the electrician has industrial experience (domestic will not count for much) the pay would be significantly better than an engineering graduate that went to college straight after completing their leaving cert. Certainly if contracting over this would be achievable and that is without any overtime.
    I reckon if you were lucky it would take 5 years to get to 60K

Not from what I have seen. I guess it depends on the person, and what they make of it.
    Its all about return on investment and I reckon you'd never financially make back what it costs you

I disagree.
    Ask yourself how many electricians do you see on their tools at 50 or 60
    Then compare that number to the number of engineers working into their seventies
    Why do people think an electrician has to work on his tools on a site?

It is what they are trained to do and some (not all) are reluctant to retrain or try something different.
    I see your point though.
    I am 20 years off tools still working based on my trade. I sit beside a lad that followed the path your looking at. He just started with us as an EE and earns approx. 20k less than me

Yes, I have seen this happen too.
    I am sure that he is doing ok though?
    I bet he has no regrets though?

In the company that I work in a colleague that is only qualified as an electrician is paid more than me. He works in a managerial role at a more senior level so as far as I am concerned he deserves it, more power to hime I say. However he is the exception and maybe you are too.
    There are lots of paths an electrician can take to get of their tools, engineering is one but not the only one.

Agree 100%
    Being a qualified electrician opens a lot of doors.

However in my opinion the engineering route is a particularly good one. In addition electricians due to their training start with a considerable advantage particularly electricians with industrial experience.

The growth in this country with data centres and pharma in particular is presenting opportunities that may not previously have been available

Agreed, but roles for people other than engineers tend to be more site based. Engineers in Ireland can (and do) design data centres all over the world from Ireland.

^^^ Good post micks, points well made.

I am not trying to rule out Engineer as a route to follow just to go in with Eyes open
    Over then last prob 10 yrs I've worked with 20-30 lads that have done L7 Eng mostly, few L8
    While I dont doubt that these degrees helped them they're not required for our role / roles

I know or have worked with 60-80 people that have done degrees and honestly can only think of 5 that have changed career and focussed on engineering.

I completely agree with moving from contracting and moving to maintenance / operations/commissioning but IMO & experience a degree is not required for this to be successful

Not quite, even when studying full time (part time study is also an option).
    A college year made of 2 semesters, each semester is 12 weeks long. So in reality college is 24 weeks which is less than ½ a year. The rest of the year is an opportunity for a qualified electrician to make money.

Effectively yes. They just call it by a different name (registration fee).

The figures I am using are loose my over point on this to highlight the money - cost/ loss of earnings / return on investment
    I dont know anyone this has been successful for - but its just a heads up to look at full picture

No.
    Assuming the electrician has industrial experience (domestic will not count for much) the pay would be significantly better than an engineering graduate that went to college straight after completing their leaving cert. Certainly if contracting over this would be achievable and that is without any overtime.

The only time I've seen or heard of experience being taken into account was when lads went for roles in the company they were already with
    ie sparks does degree at night and engineer role comes up in same company

I've seen a few people wait a few years after getting degree and basically put relevant experience on their CV that used their degree

I disagree.
    Ask yourself how many electricians do you see on their tools at 50 or 60
    Then compare that number to the number of engineers working into their seventies

On their tools working for contractors - yes I agree
    In maintenance / operation / commissioning - I know and have worked with lots of lads using their trade & experience on great money not worked to the bone, all without degrees

It is what they are trained to do and some (not all) are reluctant to retrain or try something different.
    I see your point though.

This is a huge Issue there is a huge knowledge gap on developing a career, so many people cant even tell you the skills they possess nevermind write a decent CV and cover letter
    So many sparks wont apply for jobs because they dont think they'd stand a chance

Yes, I have seen this happen too.
    I am sure that he is doing ok though?
    I bet he has no regrets though?

I am sure he has no regrets
    But that is kind of my point on posting in this thread
    I think it was 8-9 years ago he started his degree
    He didnt work through it
    He has earned approx 250k in that period till present. There are two lads he worked with prior to going to college, working with us also. They've earned multiples of that
    Unless something changes drastically he will never come close to them in earnings, they are not on their tools and have not been for a while, and still earn more than him.
    In the company that I work in a colleague that is only qualified as an electrician is paid more than me. He works in a managerial role at a more senior level so as far as I am concerned he deserves it, more power to hime I say. However he is the exception and maybe you are too.

I am not on an exception - current role approx 25 people, previous job approx 30 people and previous 42
    All roles in maintenance / operations / commissioning in Pharma / Data Centre industries

As I said I am not anti engineering route just that someone should go in with eyes open

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

jetsonx wrote: »
    Excellent advice.

If you don't have the volume, it will just end up being an expensive exercise in frustration while diverting you form your studies.

€3k with a good chance of making most of it back relatively easily is not an expensive lesson in my opinion. I can get small jobs such as home extensions through my father-in-law and brother which would probably be enough for me.

I am not trying to rule out Engineer as a route to follow just to go in with Eyes open
    Over then last prob 10 yrs I've worked with 20-30 lads that have done L7 Eng mostly, few L8
    While I dont doubt that these degrees helped them they're not required for our role / roles

I know or have worked with 60-80 people that have done degrees and honestly can only think of 5 that have changed career and focussed on engineering.

I completely agree with moving from contracting and moving to maintenance / operations/commissioning but IMO & experience a degree is not required for this to be successful

The figures I am using are loose my over point on this to highlight the money - cost/ loss of earnings / return on investment
    I dont know anyone this has been successful for - but its just a heads up to look at full picture

The only time I've seen or heard of experience being taken into account was when lads went for roles in the company they were already with
    ie sparks does degree at night and engineer role comes up in same company

I've seen a few people wait a few years after getting degree and basically put relevant experience on their CV that used their degree

On their tools working for contractors - yes I agree
    In maintenance / operation / commissioning - I know and have worked with lots of lads using their trade & experience on great money not worked to the bone, all without degrees

This is a huge Issue there is a huge knowledge gap on developing a career, so many people cant even tell you the skills they possess nevermind write a decent CV and cover letter
    So many sparks wont apply for jobs because they dont think they'd stand a chance

I am sure he has no regrets
    But that is kind of my point on posting in this thread
    I think it was 8-9 years ago he started his degree
    He didnt work through it
    He has earned approx 250k in that period till present. There are two lads he worked with prior to going to college, working with us also. They've earned multiples of that
    Unless something changes drastically he will never come close to them in earnings, they are not on their tools and have not been for a while, and still earn more than him.

I am not on an exception - current role approx 25 people, previous job approx 30 people and previous 42
    All roles in maintenance / operations / commissioning in Pharma / Data Centre industries

As I said I am not anti engineering route just that someone should go in with eyes open

Good post and you make some good points. As I have already said I am not doing this for financial reasons. I currently live in Australia and work in mining and without blowing my own trumpet your estimates of "lost" earnings don't come close to what I could potentially earn over the next 3 years as an electrician here. However for personal reasons mainly due to being extremely unhappy working as an electrician I need to get out of the trade asap. This also means I am not prepared to continue working as an electrician in the hope that one day an opportunity will come up to progress into another role.

Can I ask how you managed to get off the tools without further study?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I’m currently in my final year of electrical services engineering, I have been doing it at night for the last 4 years as I couldn’t afford to take the hit going back to study full time.

Plenty of lads in my year are working with engineering firms after only receiving the higher cert.

As stated previously, employers will take into consideration your site based knowledge.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@ micks:

I broadly agree with your posts.

However in my case I could not do the job I do without the qualifications I have as I simply would not have the knowledge required. In addition my employer would not have considered me for the position that I currently have unless I had a degree.

An important factor for me and many others in similar roles is that we enjoy what I do, so it is not just about the money.

Clearly you have found a way off your tools that works for you solely on the basis that you are a qualified electrician, that is all that matters. Fair play to you.

On another note it is very normal for relevant experience to be taken into account when negotiating a salary. The important word here is "relevant". This is even mentioned in advertisements for many roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems like a no brainer @Aido. Why would anyone not want a backup to get extra monthly money thats easily accessible.

money into a savings account or pension fund for rainy days.

This is a no brainer tbh for anyone with a bit of getup and go. There is small electrical work all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

No brainer going for the engineering if you have the chance. I got into instrumentation, by going to college at night a few years back. Working as an E&I tec the last few years, I've about a year left by day for a lvl7 if I ever decide.

No need to tell you OP, being just an Electrician is fine when things are going well it will get very competitive when not.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    No brainer going for the engineering if you have the chance. I got into instrumentation, by going to college at night a few years back. Working as an E&I tec the last few years, I've about a year left by day for a lvl7 if I ever decide.

No need to tell you OP, being just an Electrician is fine when things are going well it will get very competitive when not.

Is there much instrumentation work in Ireland at the minute? I have a bit of experience as an instrument tech which I would be interested in building on during time off from studying.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Seems like a no brainer @Aido. Why would anyone not want a backup to get extra monthly money thats easily accessible.

money into a savings account or pension fund for rainy days.

This is a no brainer tbh for anyone with a bit of getup and go. There is small electrical work all over the place.

That's exactly how I see it.

Good post and you make some good points. As I have already said I am not doing this for financial reasons. I currently live in Australia and work in mining and without blowing my own trumpet your estimates of "lost" earnings don't come close to what I could potentially earn over the next 3 years as an electrician here. However for personal reasons mainly due to being extremely unhappy working as an electrician I need to get out of the trade asap. This also means I am not prepared to continue working as an electrician in the hope that one day an opportunity will come up to progress into another role.

I understand the money you're making in that role, I also said I was being conservative with figures.
    What are your duties as an electrician?
    What do you not like that makes you need to get out asap?
    There is a reason that rock start wages are earned in the mines in oz.
    Can I ask how you managed to get off the tools without further study?

There was a few reasons I moved on from general industrial contracting:
    - right place right time, a chance to move with the same company to a maintenance contract they'd just got, that literally was down to the lads beside me in the canteen not being able to work a saturday and i could
    - After initially doing 3 years as a contractor (very basic industrial maintenance) I applied for a maintenance role in pharma (early 2000's) very similar to now shortage of experienced availability for these roles
    - ability to write a CV helped
    - I had MV operational and commissioning experience which was prob main reason I got pharma role
    - I spent 8 yrs there but initial 3-4 yrs commissioning / startup has been priceless and still stands to me in a different industry

Look at the market now (dublin)
    They cant build data centres quick enough and 3 areas off the top of my head that there is almost no experience people available for hire are:
    - UPS
    - Generators
    - Switchgear

If I was looking to get off sites that would be areas I'd look at
    Installing/commissioning/maintaining these systems is a far cry from an industrial contracting electrician and with the training you'd get from them you'd be getting a big career change with a 3-4 yr wait (college)
    Thats just a snipet

A complete change?

Pharma operator - decent money (shift) Electrial trade will get youy at least an interview ( they want people with practical aptitude)

Operations/maintenance roles in Data centres / pharma etc - decent money even with basic experience

There's lots of options - College / engineering is one good one but not the only option

I understand the money you're making in that role, I also said I was being conservative with figures.
    What are your duties as an electrician?
    What do you not like that makes you need to get out asap?
    There is a reason that rock start wages are earned in the mines in oz.

I am currently between jobs because I no longer want to work away from home as my wife recently had another baby and needs me to be home more. There is a lack of local work where I live(by local I mean less than 100km's).
    For the past couple of years I have been doing mostly project works in mining which usually involves upgrades and additions to existing equipment. I despise it but there aren't a lot of other options here that don't involve longer rosters and more time away from home(weeks at a time). I feel the type of experience I have from these jobs actually goes against me when I apply for more technical jobs

There was a few reasons I moved on from general industrial contracting:
    - right place right time, a chance to move with the same company to a maintenance contract they'd just got, that literally was down to the lads beside me in the canteen not being able to work a saturday and i could
    - After initially doing 3 years as a contractor (very basic industrial maintenance) I applied for a maintenance role in pharma (early 2000's) very similar to now shortage of experienced availability for these roles
    - ability to write a CV helped
    - I had MV operational and commissioning experience which was prob main reason I got pharma role
    - I spent 8 yrs there but initial 3-4 yrs commissioning / startup has been priceless and still stands to me in a different industry

If I could get a break like this it would definitely be something I would be interested in but as you said it was a case of right place right time and it could be years before something like that came up for me. In that time I could have finished my degree.

Look at the market now (dublin)
    They cant build data centres quick enough and 3 areas off the top of my head that there is almost no experience people available for hire are:
    - UPS
    - Generators
    - Switchgear

If I was looking to get off sites that would be areas I'd look at
    Installing/commissioning/maintaining these systems is a far cry from an industrial contracting electrician and with the training you'd get from them you'd be getting a big career change with a 3-4 yr wait (college)
    Thats just a snipet

Installation and maintenance are two things I dislike most about being an electrician so this isn't something I'd be interested in.
    A complete change?

Pharma operator - decent money (shift) Electrial trade will get youy at least an interview ( they want people with practical aptitude)

Operations/maintenance roles in Data centres / pharma etc - decent money even with basic experience

There's lots of options - College / engineering is one good one but not the only option

These are actually options I have considered but I have always been more interested in engineering but studying hasn't been an option for various reasons up until now. In some ways it's actually about proving to myself that I can do it so my mind more or less set on it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is there much instrumentation work in Ireland at the minute? I have a bit of experience as an instrument tech which I would be interested in building on during time off from studying.

Yes, If you ask me it was always in demand. How about automaton, it might be another field to look at?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Yes, If you ask me it was always in demand. How about automaton, it might be another field to look at?

I have an advanced diploma in Industrial Automation(not sure what this would be called in Ireland but it is recognised by Engineers Australia and in turn recognised by Engineers Ireland) and the degree I am looking to study has an automation option so it's definitely a field I would like to work in.

I have an advanced diploma in Industrial Automation(not sure what this would be called in Ireland but it is recognised by Engineers Australia and in turn recognised by Engineers Ireland) and the degree I am looking to study has an automation option so it's definitely a field I would like to work in.
    Contact EI and ask them what is equivalent in Ireland its possible its level 7

There was a similar title in Blanch IT which has just this year been accredited by EI (after extra 2 yrs add on)
    I think its now a level 7 Beng

Contact EI and ask them what is equivalent in Ireland its possible its level 7

There was a similar title in Blanch IT which has just this year been accredited by EI (after extra 2 yrs add on)
    I think its now a level 7 Beng

Thanks. I'll get on to them and see what they say. It was an 18 month online course so hard to imagine it would be the same as a level 7 course. It's quite a good course though.

https://www.eit.edu.au/cms/courses/industrial-automation-instrumentation-process-control/advanced-diploma/52708wa-advanced-diploma-of-industrial-automation

Thanks. I'll get on to them and see what they say. It was an 18 month online course so hard to imagine it would be the same as a level 7 course. It's quite a good course though.

https://www.eit.edu.au/cms/courses/industrial-automation-instrumentation-process-control/advanced-diploma/52708wa-advanced-diploma-of-industrial-automation

Maybe not so
    The Blanch one was 2 yrs part time and now another 2 to get level 7 accredited by EI

worth an email though

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

I’ve done the same as several others on here and went back and completed the level 8. One piece of advice I’d give is to try and avoid any building services course and do a good solid electrical engineering degree such as DT021 in Kevin St.

As for the working part time its well worth doing, your start of costs will be high in year one but will drop of to about 1k per annum after and remember that your costs will be offset against your tax bill anyway.
    I’m working as an engineer full time and I’m still working away on the side as an electrician mostly on agricultural work. I actually enjoy it now as it’s a change from day to day life as engineer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

micks wrote:
    If you're lucky DIT for example will give you a level 7 Eng degree in 2 yrs If you're going for a career in engineering you need level 8 Thats another year
    It's not really though. There is no one year add on for lads with level 7 in engineering.

I'm not even sure if there is a 2 year engineering fulltime option for the engineering services level 7 qualification

There is a BSc in energy management in one year fulltime or 2 years part time.

It not a great course imo.

It's a handy road to a level 8 degree but you'd need about four years part time for a level 8 Eng qualification in Kevin street. Lots of lads have this Bsc. It is what it is but it's not an engineering qualification, Kevin street try to sell it as such but it won't change your Engineering Ireland grade.

They have a list of approved engineering courses.

I'd say for the level 8 engineering course in Kevin street you are looking at minimum 2 and very likely 3 years fulltime added to that level 7

Kevin street are selling these courses. There is more to 3rd level then they offer.

IMO Engineers Ireland is where you should look for accurate direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

Stoner wrote: »
    It's not really though. There is no one year add on for lads with level 7 in engineering.

I'm not even sure if there is a 2 year engineering fulltime option for the engineering services level 7 qualification

There is a BSc in energy management in one year fulltime or 2 years part time.

It not a great course imo.

It's a handy road to a level 8 degree but you'd need about four years part time for a level 8 Eng qualification in Kevin street. Lots of lads have this Bsc. It is what it is but it's not an engineering qualification, Kevin street try to sell it as such but it won't change your Engineering Ireland grade.

They have a list of approved engineering courses.

I'd say for the level 8 engineering course in Kevin street you are looking at minimum 2 and very likely 3 years fulltime added to that level 7

Kevin street are selling these courses. There is more to 3rd level then they offer.

IMO Engineers Ireland is where you should look for accurate direction.

If you’re willing to travel and have good grades at level 7 there are colleges in the UK/Scotland where you can get into fourth year of a level 8 BEng Hons accrediated by the IET on behalf of the UK Engineering Council (UK version of Engineers Ireland).
    I did this, it’s different to Ireland as there will be no one spoon feeding you compared to college in Ireland, it’s a totally different learning enviornment
    So if your average or have a poor work ethic it’s a risky enough route.
    I completed a level 7 in DIT and went straight into final year of a four year level 8 in the UK and got a 1st in each and I’m a chartered engineer with the IET now.

In regards to the accreditation looking back now little value is place on accreditation of courses at the hiring stage despite what you are told in college.
    I realized this when on my first day as an engineer I was sitting beside recruits from accrediated and non accrediated recruits from UCD, DIT, TCD, CIT, UCC, GMIT etc and we’re all on the same salary.
    IMO your grades, projects, work experience and how well you can sell yourself is what will get you the position not whether your degree is accrediated.
    indeed the CEng while nice to have won’t get you much extra salary wise in this country.
    If you’re travelling to the Middle East it’s a different story though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

micks wrote:

Good post Micks

micks wrote:

Its important to note Mick that the level 7 qualification that many lads have is really a technician level qualification.

In the past lots of electricians had this and used it in their jobs day in and out.

After two years of study with limited maths, it's a good way off a level 9 qualification that would award someone with a CEng qualification that allows someone to sign off a design.

Again I'm not knocking anyone's qualifications but it's important to be realistic at the same time.

Most of the people defending the position of the level 7 engineer, are generally the ones with that qualification.

That said some are working away in engineering offices now. It's a good time to get into design with a level 7 as engineering graduates are few and far between. I think just 9 came qualified from the services level 7 last year.

Estimation, BIM and quality management are good options for this type of graduate

Lleyn elec wrote:
    In regards to the accreditation looking back now little value is place on accreditation of courses at the hiring stage despite what you are told in college. I realized this when on my first day as an engineer I was sitting beside recruits from accrediated and non accrediated recruits from UCD, DIT, TCD, CIT, UCC, GMIT etc and we’re all on the same salary. IMO your grades, projects, work experience and how well you can sell yourself is what will get you the position not whether your degree is accrediated. indeed the CEng while nice to have won’t get you much extra salary wise in this country. If you’re travelling to the Middle East it’s a different story though.

Good post. Again highlights the differences between what lads are told in Kevin street and the reality.

Another option is to sit the engineering council exams.

Distance education is an option here although the exams are difficult.

You can get your professional qualification and CEng

Again not something they will tell you in Kevin street.

CEng in Ireland in my industry is important. It's often a requirement for applicants, but it might be different for different industries like yours. I know in my area CEng or Level 9 is a requirement for promotion to a certain level

Thanks for the informative replies. This is the course I am intending to study.

https://www.dkit.ie/courses/school-of-engineering/electronic-and-mechanical-engineering/beng-(hons.)-in-engineering-(common-entry).html?courseType=20

It's a new course in Dundalk which started in September this year. Ideally I would have liked to gain entry to the third year but as there will be no third year in September 2019 when I intend to start I will be seeking entry to the second year.
    I am going to request some more information on course content before applying and making my final decision.

Does anyone have any opinions or information on this course?

Stoner wrote: »
    Its important to note Mick that the level 7 qualification that many lads have is really a technician level qualification.

In the past lots of electricians had this and used it in their jobs day in and out.

After two years of study with limited maths, it's a good way off a level 9 qualification that would award someone with a CEng qualification that allows someone to sign off a design.

Again I'm not knocking anyone's qualifications but it's important to be realistic at the same time.

Most of the people defending the position of the level 7 engineer, are generally the ones with that qualification.

That said some are working away in engineering offices now. It's a good time to get into design with a level 7 as engineering graduates are few and far between. I think just 9 came qualified from the services level 7 last year.

Estimation, BIM and quality management are good options for this type of graduate

ye I agree

I came out of my time in the mid 90's :eek:
    and a trade was the equivalent of a "diploma" (L7 Degree)- 3 yrs full time college
    a "degree" was 4-5 yrs fulltime depending on route taken
    we were offered elect eng degree courses - 2 yrs full time
    Not sure when it happened but certs/diplomas were done away with and we were given level 7 & 8 degrees
    Trades were downgraded to L6
    The country is degree mad - its all that matters in education if you believe what is being told

From my experience there's lots wrong with the systems in place

"accreditation"
    The "Is your course accredited by Eng Ireland"
    Fom what I've seen the only people that care about this are those that possess a degree accredited by EI
    I was part of a conversation about college degree courses in work last month
    One guy asked if another L7 course was accredited by EI
    - "Its a Bsc.?"
    - ye is it accredited by EI
    - No because its not an engineering degree!

Like Lleyn elec I've heard of no one that have been asked in an interview whether a degree is accredited by EI

My son recently finished sec school
    He wasn't told once that an apprenticeship was an option - not once
    basically the only options given were 3rd level

There's lots of educational snobbery in Ireland
    You do an eng degree
    If its in an Institute of Tech - is it an EI accredited deg
    Then there'll be a UCD/UCC that is better
    or a TCD or DCU
    there's always someone that feels there degree is better

Carlow IT do degrees - L7 Bsc's 1 academic yr partime
    I know a few people that have done the energy management one
    and witha distinction in that & letter of recommendation have gone straight to L9/Msc in Trinity (and elsewhere)
    so in 2-3 yrs partime they get a decent masters

which again is back to my point - return on investment
    2-3 yrs partime for a masters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I’m in Kevin street at the moment, did two years part time to gain a higher cert in electrical services engineering. I then continued on and am in my final year of another two year part time programme to gain a level 7 degree in electrical services engineering.

If I want a level 8 degree I would need to do another 2 years part time, the only degree they offer is the level 8 in energy management which in my opinion would not be great.

Unfortunately I think DIT are more about making money then churning out quality engineers.

6 years part time to get an average level 8 degree is a joke but to the college is worth about 14/15k per student.

As many have said, I think there are plenty of courses available in the UK but would involve distance learning and or some travel!

Advertisement