Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible dog abuse

• 21-11-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, been reading up on keeping a dog when you work all day and leave the dog at home in relation to dog abuse.

I am in a situation where I see a dog at another house being left alone in the backyard for about 9-10 hours per day. There is no dog house. The dog is doing his business in the garden. I can see the dog shivering in the cold. I can hear the dog barking on certain moments throughout the day and I also hear the dog crying or moaning.

The dog is left outside and I think also when it rains but I need to confirm this.

Also when the dog is left alone in the house at night when the owner is out the dog is literally barking for 2-3 hours in a row until the owner comes home.

This sounds like animal abuse to me, or is this all OK?

I am not sure what breed the dog is, I know that some breeds are better at being alone than others.

My other concern is the situation with the dog doing his business in the garden. Could this possibly attract vermin and rodents and other unwanted creatures? Could even become a problem for our own health at some point maybe.

Any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

The requirements that owners must meet are quite low in this country. Food, water and shelter. If the dog doesn't have somewhere to shelter out or the weather when in the garden and have no access to the house then the owners aren't meeting this requirement.
    In terms of the dog doing it's business, if it's not being cleaned up and causing issues for you, speak to the environment section of your local council. They will advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Dogs should always have shelter of some description. They should have a bed and also have somewhere to get out of the weather.

I have an issue with people who leave their dogs outside all the time with no cover or place where they can sit and stay dry and warm if need be.

If the dog is shivering it is Animal cruelty.

I have no issue with them pooping in the garden, as long as the owner picks this up regularly. It sounds like this is not being done though.

My dogs are never left alone, I am lucky in that they are brought to work with me, they have beds in the office and also at home. If I am away I get someone to pet-sit them. They rarely are put into kennels and if they are, I check out the kennel before hand to makes sure that all the items are clean and they are cared for properly, as well as making sure that I get references.

Dogs are social animals, they need human company and treating them in the way you describe above, to me, IS animal abuse. Why have a dog if you cannot look after it properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Right, I think I will have a chat with the owner, I think its his first dog and might not know all about it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

a lot of people just get dogs to be able to say they have dogs but dont give a **** about them if that was happening next door to me i would go mad and report them to the rspca.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

a lot of people just get dogs to be able to say they have dogs but dont give a **** about them if that was happening next door to me i would go mad and report them to the rspca.

Been there done that more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 SullDog

Not to be taking away from the OP but just thought it'd make more sense than starting a new thread! Recently bought an apartment and have noticed that in the block to the left there's this little yorkie that is pretty much left outside on the balcony for hours on end. It doesn't look malnourished, doesn't bark and is taken in in the evenings but it basically has a little shoebox of a kennel (on the balcony) that he never uses and just paces back and forth looking in the apartment windows. What makes it worse imo is that I've noticed people inside during the period he's outside as there does be lights on and they also have a cat which they let out and back in. Can't access the block as it is a different key than ours, so can't really speak to the owner(s) about it. We have our lad in our apartment and couldn't imagine leaving him outside pacing up and back for the day? Is it a call to the DSPCA or am I overreacting?

SullDog wrote: »
    Not to be taking away from the OP but just thought it'd make more sense than starting a new thread! Recently bought an apartment and have noticed that in the block to the left there's this little yorkie that is pretty much left outside on the balcony for hours on end. It doesn't look malnourished, doesn't bark and is taken in in the evenings but it basically has a little shoebox of a kennel (on the balcony) that he never uses and just paces back and forth looking in the apartment windows. What makes it worse imo is that I've noticed people inside during the period he's outside as there does be lights on and they also have a cat which they let out and back in. Can't access the block as it is a different key than ours, so can't really speak to the owner(s) about it. We have our lad in our apartment and couldn't imagine leaving him outside pacing up and back for the day? Is it a call to the DSPCA or am I overreacting?

Is there food and water out there for him? spca tend to say if they have food, water and shelter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't think a balcony would fall under appropriate and safe space for a dog regardless of water and shelter being out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Even animals in the wild either find or make their own shelter like burrowing or under hedge rows, the shelter is v important to all

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SullDog

He definitely has shelter in the form of the little kennel but as far as food and water goes I wouldn't know, the balcony is higher so I can't see the floor of it. It's just the constant pacing back and forth that kills me, he/she never appears to just want to lay down and take a break, it's borderline frantic...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Imo far, far too many Irish people own dogs and then go on to neglect them or worse. There should be a compulsory course in canine care for first time dog owners.

There are also far too many dogs in this country. A dog demands a LOT of love and attention and unless you are prepared to give it, you have no business owning a dog.

Yes, I would report those neighbors but make sure the tip off to the DSPCA is anonymous or you run the risk of being on the receiving end.of abuse yourself.

IMO people who abuse animals are odious types anyway who can be nasty to others at the drop of a hat.

OP as others say, you can report anonymously and it would ease your caring heart....

far too many Irish people own dogs and then go on to neglect them or worse

I wouldn't attribute such behaviour solely to Irish people, its people in general. The person I am referring to in the OP is from Eastern-Europe.

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP as others say, you can report anonymously and it would ease your caring heart....

I'd like to speak to the owner first, he might not be aware and if he knows he might just do the right thing.

Further to my OP, I found out that there is a doghouse in the back garden. Its a tiny doghouse, but a shelter nonetheless. I cannot see though if there is food and water.

However, the dog is barking during the day and when it gets a bit later in the day I can hear the dog scratching up against the back door and moaning in his shelter. And the moaning could be for one or two hours intermittently until he is let into the house.

I really feel for the dog. Its not a good treatment and the dog clearly has issues with being alone outside in the cold and wet.

I need to speak to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Poncke wrote: »
    Further to my OP, I found out that there is a doghouse in the back garden. Its a tiny doghouse, but a shelter nonetheless. I cannot see though if there is food and water.

However, the dog is barking during the day and when it gets a bit later in the day I can hear the dog scratching up against the back door and moaning in his shelter. And the moaning could be for one or two hours intermittently until he is let into the house.

I really feel for the dog. Its not a good treatment and the dog clearly has issues with being alone outside in the cold and wet.

I need to speak to the owner.

Deffo try if you feel comfortable doing so.
    I've been in the same boat a few times. Once I called in and got abused to high heaven that the poor collie they had who was locked out all the time and barked 24/7 was "being trained" and also past neighbours who had a poor little dog in a tiny enclosed space out the back - never ever walked or in the house and they bred her all the time. I hated hearing her screeching at the pups when they were bothering her. Neither times made any difference.

I hope it goes well for it - it is awful to have to watch an animal so obviously distressed and uncared for and the laws do little to protect them.

Old man near me once, way back , out in the boonies, used to chain his collie outside in all weathers. Barked non stop.

Was talking to a neigbour and asked if the old man was alone as his dog was raising the alarm and I was worried.. Maybe I should ask the Garda to call in and check on him?

Dog never was tied up outside again and no more barking. ;)

OP go for it! And good luck

Advertisement