Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PayPal asking for PII on someone else

• 16-11-2018 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

So I made a recent purchase from a chemist in the UK via HDUK.
    It's was perfume that I was having delivered to my GF workplace.
    I used my PayPal to make the purchase but PayPal froze the payment and asked for more information, they also made my account limited.

When I logged into PayPal I got a popup page telling me I had made a purchase in breach of US laws, which directed me to the resolution centre to resolve the case. So I go to the resolution centre and put in information on the purchase.
    IE.. I bought some perfume ect ect..

I then received an email to say that they wanted information on "individual name" and the date of the birth of this person, who is my GF.
    So I was like why the hell would I get an email asking for her DOB and nothing about the specific transaction which I thought was bizarre.

I tried contacting them by email explaining the situation , I am not handing over PII (Personal Identifiable information) on someone else and can you explain why you need that.
    I get another email back asking the same stuff again, so I again send another email to say the same thing.. NO PII from me.
    Another email back and this time the request was in bold, oh they getting mad now. :mad:
    This time rather than sending another email to PP, I just sent the query to the Irish Data Commissioner office, waiting the response now. I also then sent PP an email to say as much.. Today my account was unfroze

Has any ever experienced this kinda PII request from legitimate companies before?

What did you do about it?

Is there be something I else I should do?

If this is the wrong place please move it.

Regards
    LMD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Did you buy something that can only be delivered to someone over 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

No I did not.. It was just some perfume.. Anyway it is now sorted. I just kept telling them I was not going to hand over PII. Don't know why the change of heart but I did not care once they processed the payment and I got the perfume, as it was a gift I needed. Might be worth looking into though, so it does not happen again to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

No I did not.. It was just some perfume.. Anyway it is now sorted. I just kept telling them I was not going to hand over PII. Don't know why the change of heart but I did not care once they processed the payment and I got the perfume, as it was a gift I needed. Might be worth looking into though, so it does not happen again to me.

Could this related to another (less recent) purchase?
    Or perhaps you unkmownling purchases conterfet perfume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So... you bought online and paid from Ireland / EU a product sold and delivered from UK to Ireland / EU and that transaction is breaching some US of A laws !? WTF !????

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

I would not like to think I got counterfeit perfume, I have used this shop before and it is a legitimate business, so I would say I am good. Well I got no complaints back as of yet so..

There was not too many recent purchases using PP mainly used Revolut over the Christmas period, however I did buy two games of Xbox live during the Black friday sale and my VPN in and around the same time (which I have been using for years) paying by PP.

Yes I bought online, paid from my bank in Ireland to PP for a product sold in UK to ship to Ireland. Yes that what's I thought too. WTF!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement