Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cod fishing

• 24-10-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

So thinking of heading to tinnaberna beach this weekend for a night's fishing. Haven't fished it before haven't ventured down that far. Anyone any advice about fishing there for cod this time of year, is it a good spot , any advice about there or places near there would be brilliant. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.red. wrote:
    You won't get cod there, bar some very small fish. Obviously there's always a chance of a bigger one but it wouldn't be expected. For a decent chance of a cod your better off coming to Waterford or Cork but wait another few weeks, very little showing yet.

Whereabouts in waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭.red.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Whereabouts in waterford?

I've never fished Waterford for cod so not sure.
    Youghal is good tho, anywhere along the quays is good but a big tidal run so bring a selection of leads if it's a decent sized tide.
    Off the beach can be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Thompst1111

Also info about anywhere in Wicklow would also be nice. It's getting very cold this weekend with a bit of a chop so hoping it brings some in. Just don't know where to try. My friend thinks Wicklow as there is deep spots but I was thinking wexford as further south. Any info will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

There is cod about not far from tinnabearna - well, I dont know if they are there yet but I know a good cod beach in the area, pulled some 5/6lbers out of there regular enough around nov-feb.

Ardinn that's brilliant. Do you still have my number from last time with the bass spot which by the way was perfect ,so good. You can send it to me that way I don't know how to delete messages from boards.ie and I hear my mailbox is full. I can text ye so you know which number is mine if you want.

• Advertisement

did you get any bass btw? i pmd you here, i have about 30 lads in my phone named "directions" so no, but the name will get you right to the spot

Howaye ardinn. Didn't go to that spot in the end tried arklow South Beach, nothing but whiting and one small smoothie which surprised me. Thinking if heading to that spot maybe this week have you been out there at all of so how's it fishing

no man having serious withdrawel symptoms here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Would the pier in youghal be any good for cod over the winter or would the beach be better? Are they hard to catch? Only ever fished for mackerel there, usually a summer Fisher for trout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The pier can be one of the best cod spots in the country although the last few seasons have been poor due to commercial fishing of the crab in the estuary.
    The beach is pretty much a waste of time for cod.

• Advertisement

I might try ennerriely has anyone fished there recently any cod

"De wall" is supposed to be a good shout for cod. But again crab fishing has put a massive nail in this areas fishing coffin.

Where's de wall

Where's de wall

It's around youghal, not sure where exactly but when people discuss cod from shore it's the place to be!

Another Place is "the carpets"

I'll have a root for maps on theses places for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Is "the wall" in reference to monkstown or is there another one in Youghal?

SeaFields wrote: »
    Is "the wall" in reference to monkstown or is there another one in Youghal?

No im sure the wall is monkstown

Won't be travelling that far this side of Christmas hitting ennerielly tomorrow for the night hoping for some cod caught my first one there good few years ago

Ok so here is what I was after

A thread with links to other threads with tips, maps, locations, and guides.

Enjoy!!

Ardinns great info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah you've me all confused! :D

Yes the wall in monkstown always produces cod. Haven't heard reports yet this year though. I've heard of some whiting been taken around the harbour alright so cod probably aren't far behind.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah you've me all confused! :D

Yes the wall in monkstown always produces cod. Haven't heard reports yet this year though. I've heard of some whiting been taken around the harbour alright so cod probably aren't far behind.

The above will unconfuse you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Ardinn you wouldn't mind sending a pic of the wall via Google maps would ya?

That isnt me by the way - Who the feck has their reel that low?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I'll be home in Ireland for the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'd love to give a bit cod fishing a bash. Has anyone tried Curracloe beach? I've had bass there during the summer. I have never fished in winter either. Is it any use during the day in to early evening with the short days?

VeryTerry wrote: »
    I'll be home in Ireland for the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'd love to give a bit cod fishing a bash. Has anyone tried Curracloe beach? I've had bass there during the summer. I have never fished in winter either. Is it any use during the day in to early evening with the short days?

If wexford is your spot head north of courtown a little to ballymoney - clones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

ardinn wrote: »
    That isnt me by the way - Who the feck has their reel that low?????

That’s the proper way to fish a multiplier setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

ardinn wrote: »
    If wexford is your spot head north of courtown a little to ballymoney - clones

Cheers for that. I'll be coming from Dublin. I was only thinking Curracloe because I know it.

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Cheers for that. I'll be coming from Dublin. I was only thinking Curracloe because I know it.

I have never fished curracloe but have caught cod from the above beaches, tho they are hard got!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

You sure hahaha? Cool thanks a mil for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Are you a guide Ardinn? Is there even a such thing as a guide for shore angling? I live to fat inland for it to be worth my while joining a club but would love to go with someone who knows what there at

Advertisement